Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Tree w/linked embedded browser - at wit's end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree w/linked embedded browser - at wit's end

Newbie, struggling to gain intuitive feel for A5. Thirty years experience with assembler, .NET, C, VB, and Delphi. Have browsed all threads, downloaded all seemingly-relevant sample code, reviewed all included sample code, purchased and reviewed two A5 e-books, reviewed integrated A5 help. Have spent 20+ straight hours trying a variety of approaches (and also exercising/improving that subset of my vocabulary which includes profanity) all to no avail. Time now to reach out.

A so very simple goal of core GUI functionality for a document management system. A tree (form) control contains "cabinet drawer" names. Clicking on a cabinet drawer name (the OnChange event, with tree.value) yields name of selected drawer. Simple XBasic query against drawer table returns the NUMERICAL identifier for the drawer (which links to multiple rows in folder table). Wish then to populate an embedded browse with all "file folders" contained within (ie: linked to) that drawer.

The GUI, as one might imagine, and at its simplest, might be a tree with an embedded adjacent.

Two individual tables involved here, one for drawer info, other for folder info. Linking is done via folder.drawernumber = drawer.id (go figure); I created set with linkage. Created form based on that set. Initially created set with drawer as primary, but found I could not create the embedded browse as desired - browse would not show ALL records contained in folder table. Then took reverse approach, yielding better results, creating set with folder table as primary (essentially an M:1 relationship; counter-intuitive). Could then display all data in both tables upon form launch. Of course, end-result would require limiting display in folder browse to only those contained in the selected tree/drawer selection, but all data seemed present and therefore accessible and hopefully subject to manipulation.

Early on, it seemed not unreasonable to assume that A5 would have built-in functionality to create the 1:M linkage. Seemed there almost should have been some no-brainer way to cause the drawer OnChange event to trigger a dynamic filter and refresh to the embedded folder browse. No amount of effort yielded any result looking even close to success.

Then moved on to augment the XBasic. Some results were achieved, but none as desired or expected. The browse would sometimes (but only sometimes) refresh/resynch with data, and the data may or may not reconcile with the filter implemented.

The sample code downloaded from message board sample code archive shows similar functionality - but with XDialog. Is this really the only way to achieve the goal? Based on what I've seen so far of XD, it's not easily integrated into the existing form so as to appear seamless - thus a rather rough and amateurish-looking result. All sample code I saw that implemented my tree/browse combination seemed to rely on XD and were quite challenged in the area of aesthetics in presenting that browse-type view.

Hopefully I'm missing something obvious... but I'd argue that if the solution is indeed there, it ain't obvious. It just seems there should be some way to take a query result (pointer in A5, I guess) and "assign" that to my embedded browse. At least a rough and simplified analogy to what would have been my approach in my other programming languages. But I don't see a way to tell the embedded browse "here, I've done my manual query and the resulting recordset/pointer has been successfully created, so here it is, now take care of displaying the results for me."

About ready to fire up Delphi and just have at it to get the core done and move into more sophisticated features.

Can A5 do what I want - and in the way I want it done (ie: probably no XD)? And if so, please point me in a direction that does not consist primarily of swamp land - I've already mapped those areas quite thoroughly.

Re: Tree w/linked embedded browser - at wit's end

Originally posted by fsi View Post
    But I don't see a way to tell the embedded browse "here, I've done my manual query and the resulting recordset/pointer has been successfully created, so here it is, now take care of displaying the results for me."
    Not sure about tree controls, I have never used them. With respect to the browse, you have to query it directly. It's very hard to follow what you are trying to say. It might be better for you to post a sample of what you are trying to do.

- And yes, it should be doable w/o too much difficulty.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Jon,

I have done a bit of work with tree controls. If you could provide a sample for me to work with I am happy to take a look. I could knock up a sample but often the devil is in the details so if you could provide one for us to look at we would be working with your names and could see better what you are trying to accomplish. Not that what you are trying to do is hard to understand.

As far as your set linkages not working again it would be good to see what you are doing. This (sets) is basic stuff.
      Tim Kiebert
      Eagle Creek Citrus
      A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

I wish I could say I have an easy answer to what you want done but that isn't so, so...

A tree (form) control contains "cabinet drawer" names.
        Is there a particular reason you chose a tree control? Doesn't seem in the least intuitive to me. What is represented by the tree control, other than the drawer "possibilities"? Did you create a tree control based on a variable, populating it with the contents of the drawer table drawer names for user selection? That variable could be used in a query to filter the parent table record display. Did you create a tree control based on the drawer table drawer names field, populating it with the contents of the drawer table drawer names for user selection? In such a usage the tree control would merely be a means of changing/editing the field.

Wish then to populate an embedded browse with all "file folders" contained within (ie: linked to) that drawer.
        You don't need to "populate" an embedded browse. An embedded browse displays all the child records related to the current parent record.

Initially created set with drawer as primary, but found I could not create the embedded browse as desired - browse would not show ALL records contained in folder table.
        You spoke above about wanting to populate the browse with all the "file folders" contained within (ie: linked to) that drawer. That's the way a browse should work. Why would you also speak about "browse would not show ALL records contained in folder table." That's not the way a browse should be expected to work.

The sample code downloaded from message board sample code archive shows similar functionality
        Not sure what The sample code might be.

It just seems there should be some way to take a query result (pointer in A5, I guess) and "assign" that to my embedded browse.
        Nothing could be simpler. With a one to many set of drawers to folders, if you navigate to a drawer the only records that can be displayed in an embedded browse are the related records. No query needed.

Can A5 do what I want - and in the way I want it done
        Not a clue. It seems as if you are expecting something from Alpha that resembles the way you have accomplished things in the past. Not knowing how you did things in the past makes the answer difficult. Have you approached things from Alpha's perspecitve, examined the sample databases and gotten a feel for how things are normally done and then tried to embellish and extend?
        There can be only one.

Comment

This issue may possibly be resolved. During my continued work, Alpha was crashing during use of the integrated help. Grasping at a straw, I removed and reinstalled A5. The behaviors of all objects suddenly became more consistent with my expectations.

Thank you to all who assisted... onward and upward.

Comment

Working...
          X