Alpha Video Training

Thread: No Bugs??

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Default No Bugs??

Am I finding no major bugs?? Maybe I did not get far enough yet??

Anybody found a real bug yet??

I'm doing stuff Alpha would never let me do before. Some of it comes from Peter Wayne's book, but most of it could not be done before.

WOW, like someone else said.

I am impressed. This should make a couple projects go MUCH faster and more professional to boot.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Default Re: No Bugs??

I suppose it depends on what counts as a real bug. I found one (maybe two) major SQL active link thing(s) that did not work correctly with mysql databases but they were fixed within a day or two of reporting them. So far I have not found anything else. But realistically there are bound to be bugs in a beta with this many major changes and they won't all be found before release (like I said, realistically!).

Ray

"Certified" Alphaholic Lance Gurd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lance Gurd

Yes, WOW, some great stuff and they obviously listen to the wish list forum which is great.

I have found a bug which is to do with a coded lookup field, Selwyn responded within a day with a work around (however this did not correct the problem) and is going to produce a bug fix for the original problem. This also lead to other problems with similar types of fields, which prevents further testing of my V8 forms in V9, but love playing with the new stuff and I can really see some of the things I always wanted to do in the past being possible now

"Certified" Alphaholic mmaisterrena's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mauricio Maisterrena

I got an error when conecting to a SQL Server database that had a character filed with a withd of 260 characters and a field type of "money"
    I got an error that said something like "your source database doesnt recognizes the field type" i dont know wich of this fileds caused the error

then i changed the cahracter field to 250 with and the money field to numeric an it worked perfectly (after remaking thes connection string) I even made a set conecting a dbf file table an SQL Server table

by the way i have practicaly no experience with SQL Server databases i just downloaded the express version to test alpha v9

"Certified" Alphaholic Mike Wilson's Avatar
    Real Name
    mike wilson

OK,
    How does one go about getting a copy to evaluate? I was privilaged with a beta for v8.
    Mike W

"Certified" Alphaholic NoeticCC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Andrea Gill

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilson View Post
    OK,
    How does one go about getting a copy to evaluate? I was privilaged with a beta for v8.
    See the thread in the A5V8 forum, there's either a link or you have to email sales@alpha

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ed Barley

Hi Mike,

From the version 8 post.

HTML Code:
    Richard Rabins 
    Alpha Software Employee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Point Barry!

If you or anyone reading this thread are interested in getting a Beta copy of Alpha Five (v9) Platinum, please send me a request for the Beta of the product. My email is richard@alphasoftware.com

Please include a short paragraph about your experience with Alpha Five and/or other development tools for database applications.

Thanks
    Regards

Ed Barley

"Certified" Alphaholic mmaisterrena's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mauricio Maisterrena

Default No Bugs??

I encounterd the next bug with two SQL Server tables

Lets say you have Table A and Table B both are active links from an sql server database

In Table A you set the "lookup Filed rule" to display Filed_2 from Table B and Field_1 (from table B) is the linking field. you set the lookup as a dropdown with and check the values can be edited option

So the problem is that when you edit a value directly from the dropdown in table A (new feature in v9) the change will take place in Table B (as it is supposed to) but will not take place on Table A so the edited value will not update past records that contained this value and it will be impossible to select the edited value fron the dropdown

I hope this explanation is not too confusing

Real Name
    Pete Schuder

Has anyone noticed that when using the horizontal trackbar and/or horizontal scrollbar and clicking down the line the first time will move to a record further on. Clicking a second time will have no affect. This does not happen with the vertical trackbar or vertical scrollbar. I can click further down the line on the vertical trackbar and/or vertical scrollbar and the records continue to change. Just a minor observation while using the new AlphaSports...
    "Ollie, remember how dumb I used to be? Well, I'm much better now."

Pete

Real Name
    Jim Coltz

Quote Originally Posted by trackmanpete View Post
    Has anyone noticed that when using the horizontal trackbar and/or horizontal scrollbar and clicking down the line the first time will move to a record further on. Clicking a second time will have no affect. This does not happen with the vertical trackbar or vertical scrollbar. I can click further down the line on the vertical trackbar and/or vertical scrollbar and the records continue to change. Just a minor observation while using the new AlphaSports...
    Yes, I see this on the Inventory form on the product list tab. Interestingly it seems to work fine in reverse but not forward. In other words, clicking in the horizontal scrollbar to the right of the slider does nothing for the first two clicks and on the third it jumps to the end. Clicking to the left of the slider works as expected. Also, if the column is highlighted then clicking to right works as expected.

Alpha Software Employee Richard Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Rabins

if you want the beta please give me a short note re your background with Alpha Five and i will get you added to the list

thanks

please email me at richard@alphasoftware.com
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software