Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

SQL vs DBF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SQL vs DBF

What are the advantages or disadvantages of either as the back end?

Thanks!

Re: SQL vs DBF

Originally posted by Alan Lee View Post
    What are the advantages or disadvantages of either as the back end?

Thanks!
    companies like Microsoft and Oracle have invested millions (possibly billions) to ensure the scaleability, reliability and performance of their sql databases.

if you use sql databases in a5, you get to piggy back on that investment.

while there are cetainly a lot of very impressive applications that have been developed on top of .dbf files, if you want hugely scaleable applications etc. then .dbf files are not recommended.

the great thing about v9 is that you can switch from .dbf files to sql tables incrementally. you can convert individual tables to active link tables as you see fit. the Export operation now allows you to export a .dbf to a sql table so converting an existing table to a sql table is easy.

a) export the data to sql
    b) create an active-link to the sql table.

Comment

Mike,

One advantage might be the size limitations. I believe I read at MySQL that the tables would be limited to 4 gig with the free server and unlimitef if you purchase their enterprize as opposed to the 2 gig limit on dbf files.

sql is the choice if you are doing web without alpha( and I believe with Alpha), and I love my .dbf tables for about 25 years now.
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Guys,

I'm really interested in the new SQL based database of Alpha. And so is my boss, that is seriously thinking about purchasing the new version 9 platinum for his business.

There's just one thing that we are concerned about: how easy or hard is to convert a dbf database (we are currently using Alpha5 version 6) to a SQL database?
        Our Inventory/Chargeable System is pretty big and complicated. It involves a lot of database tables and calculations that make it very slow and also not much reliable (I have to "refresh" databases indexes almost every day as they go automatically out of syncro - that's one of the reasons we want to get rid of dbf tables, totally unreliable for big database systems).

We hope there's an easy way to convert our existing dbf database to an SQL database without losing any field rules or set links. Also, we hope that annoying "Refresh database indexes" won't be necessary any more as per "normal" databases.

I'm waiting for an exaustive reply and then I'll probabily start downloading the v9 30-days trial and perform some testing.

Thanks in advance.

MAURO TRENTINI

Comment

How big(in your own words) is your database? This may be a real key as to what you need.

There are users with HUGE databases in here without the index problems. Indexes should not have to be rebuilt unless some operation is making them go out. Usually this stems from using indexes as filters and adding tons of them. Indexes are very helpful if used right.
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks for your reply Dave.

Find below some information about my database:
            • 53 database tables
            • 13 sets
            • 57 forms
            • 80 reports
            • the biggest table (products) involves about 9000 records, then Orders table (currently ~6000 records) that at the end of the year could reach about 10000 records (at the end of each financial year, we delete all the data and start from an empty database). All other tables are below 2000 records (some of them are really small, 20 - 40 records)

I'm not sure if this is the kind of information you were looking for. If not, let me know and I'll provide all the details you need.

There are users with HUGE databases in here without the index problems. Indexes should not have to be rebuilt unless some operation is making them go out.
            Regarding the tables indexes, maybe I didn't built them properly the first time and now I'm having issues, but they seem ok to me.
            For example, on the product table I created an index on the product codes that are unique; on the orders table I set up an index on the order number that is auto-incrementing, and every day I have to rebuild the index on the order number as it goes totally out of syncro.

Could you explain what you mean with the below statement? (I'm not sure what you mean with "adding tons" and "using indexes as filters").
            Usually this stems from using indexes as filters and adding tons of them. Indexes are very helpful if used right

Thanks a lot for your help.

MAURO

Comment

Mauro - I wouldn't classify your system as big - maybe in the medium basket.

If you're having the problems you describe, switching to SQL isn't your solution. Fixing your design and your procedures would be a better use of your time and money.

I'm not telling you not to switch to SQL, but from what you describe I don't see much reason.

But, at the very least, do upgrade to Version 9. That's a sure-win for you for the speed, features and maturity.
              -Steve
              sigpic

Comment

my db has 40 tables, 12 sets, 44 forms, 28 stand alone browses, 98 reports, 118 scripts and functions and the largest table has 42,000 records. In one location, it has about 18 users at any given time off a server that is not super fast and a variety of work stations using shadowed tables. there are no complaints of speed.

Lightning query optimization may do you some real good. Look that up on here. I know it has been brought up.

below: this is my worst index(using as a filter):
                I am working on changing it as soon as i can. mostly using queries now instead of indexes. some indexes are necessary though.

I have never had to rebuild them in 5 years and they work with v7, v8 and v9.

Sometimes it is something in code somewhere else that messes your indexes up. it would be interesting if you could follow along in the app and figure out what operation, script, etc is messing the indexes up.
                Last edited by DaveM; 04-30-2008, 03:23 PM.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Mauro,

I'll second what Steve Workings said. Your DB is not large at all--I have had complicated DB's with a table with hundreds of fields and around 1 million records. While I would not do this with dbf tables today (yes there were problems, not the least of which compacts and appends with dup checking took forever), there were relatively few index related problems. As Steve said, you should re-examine how indexes are being used in the DB.

Ray

Comment

Guys,

I appreciate your replies. I'm trying to get an idea of what my problem could be.
                    It's good to read that bigger databases work just fine with Alpha5 without indexing problems; obviously we (me and my collegues) didn't build the database properly (just reminding you that we're using version 6 - just in case there are known issues as Dave mentioned v7, v8 and v9 only).

It just sounds weird because we usually build applications based on SQL databases with either J2EE, .NET or PHP. We started to "learn" Alpha5 because requested by one of our customers.
                    I thought our database was big because of Alpha5 v6 limits; we built applications MUCH bigger than this with "normal" databases like Microsoft SQL Server, and in 9 years of developing, we NEVER had an issue with the database indexes. Not one script not one line of code nothing that ever corrupted indexes.

Maybe there's something we don't know about dbf indexes. I understand that there might be something in the code somewhere that messes my indexes up, but how does this happen? indexes are corrupted within the code? This can't happen with an SQL database I'm sure of it. That's why at the beginning I asked if turning into an sql database would fix the issue.

Also where do I start to "debug" my program to understand what's wrong with indexes? This is turning into a nightmare.

Thanks to everyone anyway, it's helpfull to hear other opinions.

MAURO

Comment

known issues as Dave mentioned v7, v8 and v9 only).
                      Sorry I said that wrong. I was just mentioning this because v7 - v8 are the prominent ones today. I had basically the same tables from dos on up starting with V1. I redid the indexes when going to a5 from dos. They are pretty much the same and I had no problems with v6 at all.

In v7, I split the names table into 2 tables due to my own inadequacies of maintaining the fields in one table. each table has about 3000 records with over 100 fields each, that are fully utilized. They are about 5.5 megs in size and growing on the local machine. On a client's machine, they are about 15 megs each if that helps.
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Mauro,

Do you have a query being created somewhere that is named the same as an index?? Seems I read something like that happening in a post a long time ago.

Is it possible you have more than one operation that could be happening on a table at the same time. Maybe one is not finished before the other one starts? Maybe more than 2?

Something is causing the index problem. Adding a record alone should not do this. What table set?? what else happens at the same time? or What COULD be happening at the same time?

During the record add, does a script or udf have to run?

Dbf's have been associated with mdx, cdx, fpx and several other index file types. I think what alpha uses is an exact or close variation of the foxpro index system. I first heard of lqo as associated with foxpro and clipper. I'm 61, so memory is thinner now, so I must say, I think.

Is it possible to get a copy(som sample data also) uploaded here so we can work on it? Exact steps as best you can of when the problem occurs?
                        Last edited by DaveM; 04-30-2008, 10:28 PM.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dissenting opinion....

Sometimes there is nothing "wrong" with the code but indexes still get corrupted.

There may be something in the code that is "causing" the problem but it isn't anything that is "basically wrong". I won't argue that changing something in my code might fix the problem but WHAT to change is the problem. In other words, it might be possible to change some code somewhere to solve the problem - i.e., a work around - BUT it won't be obvious just from looking at the code. That's the big problem - since it isn't obvious, how do you find the source of the problem? (I only have 556 global scripts and functions in the app that has the indexes and problems listed below - so checking the source code should be easy!)

Indexes are also more likely to get corrupted on a multi-user networked application. I have a couple apps that NEVER have index problems for single users but have progressively more index problems as more users start working from the network.

My indexes seldom use filters (most filtered indexes were created automatically by Alpha) and never use variables. Most of my indexes use only 1 field and almost all use no more than 2 fields.

Following are all the index definitions for my most complicated app. It runs fine for single users, runs fine for some 2 user networks, and gets corrupted almost daily on a couple other 2 user networks. The one 4 user network only seems to get corrupted when one particular user is working. (Hmmm, some of this sounds kinda like system issues doesn't it. But, we've changed all the network cards and now all the computers on one of those 2 user networks and we still have problems. Go figure! One person suggested that a system with both some real old, slow computers and some real fast computers could cause problems. Maybe??)

One thing I can say is that there is a lot of data entry and/or editing going on when they have problems. I don't think indexes ever get messed up just from reading data.

Note that the index issues only seem to happen on the Agents, Ord_head, and Ord_Item tables and these tables don't have any filters. Of course, these are also the ones most likely to be edited. The tables that do have filters in their indexes never seem to be a problem.

For this particular app, the index problems have been so bad that I will happily send $100 to anyone who can provide an actual, workable solution. (Sorry, deleting all the indexes doesn't count as a solution.)
                          Code:
                          TABLES
                          ------------------------
                          Structure:  Index Name -- Sort Order -- Filter -- Options
                          AGENTS  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Agent_Nam_ -- AGENT_NAMF --  -- 
                                    Agent_Nof -- AGENT_NOF --  -- U
                                    Agent_No_ -- AGENT_NOF --  -- 
                                    Agnt_Phon_ -- AGENT_NAMF+BILL_PHONF --  -- 
                                    Bill_Phon_ -- BILL_PHONF --  -- 
                                    Client_No_ -- CLIENT_NOF --  -- 
                                    P_S_Phon_ -- P_S_PHONF --  -- 
                          BROKERS  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Broker_Nof -- BROKER_NOF --  -- U
                                    Broker_No_ -- BROKER_NOF --  -- 
                          CITIES  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    City_Name_ -- CITY_NAMEF --  -- 
                          CLIENT_MEMO  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                          CLIENTS  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Client_Dcf -- CLIENT_NOF -- DISCONTF=.F. -- 
                                    Client_Nof -- CLIENT_NOF --  -- U
                                    Phone_ -- PHONEF --  -- 
                                    Realtorf -- REALTORF -- DISCONTF=.F. -- 
                                    Realtor_ -- REALTORF --  -- 
                                    Sign_Phon_ -- DEF_SN_PHF --  -- 
                                    Stld_Ffff6b25 -- BROKER_NOF --  -- 
                          INSTALLERS  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Inst_Name_ -- NAMEF --  -- 
                                    Namef -- NAMEF -- ACTIVEF -- 
                          INV_HEAD  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Bill_Phon_ -- BILL_PHONF --  -- 
                                    Inv_Cldt_ -- CLIENT_NOF+INVERT(CDATE(INV_DATEF)+INV_NUMBF) --  -- 
                                    Inv_Date_ -- INV_DATEF --  -- 
                                    Inv_Dtph_ -- CDATE(INV_DATEF)+BILL_PHONF --  -- 
                                    Inv_Numbf -- INV_NUMBF --  -- U
                                    Inv_Numb_ -- INV_NUMBF --  -- 
                                    Inv_Phdt_ -- BILL_PHONF+INVERT(CDATE(INV_DATEF)) --  -- 
                                    Nvrt_Clnu_ -- CLIENT_NOF+INVERT(INV_NUMBF) --  -- 
                          INV_NEW_LIST  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Bill_Phone -- BILL_PHONF --  -- 
                                    Client_Nof -- CLIENT_NOF --  -- 
                          INV_PAY  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Clnt_Date_ -- CLIENT_NOF+CDATE(DATE_PAIDF) --  -- 
                                    Inv_Numbf -- INV_NUMBF --  -- U
                                    Paymt_Nof -- PAYMT_NOF --  -- U
                          INVOICE_DETAIL  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Client_Nof -- CLIENT_NOF+WORK_ORDF -- INV_NUMBF=\"\" -- 
                                    Client_Nof1 -- CLIENT_NOF+WORK_ORDF -- LEFT(CHARGESF,6)=\"Refund\" .AND. INV_NUMBF=\"\" -- 
                                    Clnt_Rev_ -- CLIENT_NOF + INVERT(CDATE(COMP_DATEF)) --  -- 
                                    Clt_Noinv_ -- CLIENT_NOF -- INV_NUMBF=\"\" -- 
                                    Comp_Date_ -- COMP_DATEF --  -- 
                                    Master_No_ -- MASTER_NOF --  -- 
                                    Stld_Ffff2 -- INV_NUMBF+WORK_ORDF --  -- 
                                    Work_Ord_ -- WORK_ORDF --  -- 
                          ORD_HEAD  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Agnt_Name_ -- AGNT_NAMEF --  -- 
                                    Bill_Ph_ -- PHON_BILLF --  -- 
                                    Prop_Addr_ -- PROP_ADDRF --  -- 
                                    Rltr_Name_ -- REALTORF --  -- 
                                    Sign_Ph_ -- PHON_SIGNF --  -- 
                          ORD_HEAD_MEMO  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                          ORD_HEAD_UP_ORDS  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Agnt_Namef -- AGNT_NAMEF --  -- 
                                    Client_Nof -- CLIENT_NOF --  -- 
                                    Master_Nof -- MASTER_NOF --  -- 
                                    Phon_Billf -- PHON_BILLF --  -- 
                                    Phon_Signf -- PHON_SIGNF --  -- 
                                    Prop_Addrf -- PROP_ADDRF --  -- 
                                    Realtorf -- REALTORF --  -- 
                                    Up_Qtyf -- UP_QTYF --  -- 
                          ORD_ITEM  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Comp_On_ -- COMP_ONF --  -- 
                                    Mast_Date_ -- MASTER_NOF+CDATE(WO_DATEF) --  -- 
                                    Prt_Dtrev_ -- INVERT(CDATE(PRINT_DTF)) --  -- U
                                    Req_Date_ -- RQST_DATEF --  -- 
                                    Wo_Date_ -- WO_DATEF --  -- 
                          ORD_ITEM_MEMO  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Work_Ordf -- WORK_ORDF --  -- 
                          OTHER_CHARGES  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                          PAST_DUE_REPORTS  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Phone_ -- PHONEF --  -- 
                                    Realtor_ -- REALTORF --  -- 
                          POST_ARM_LIST  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Descript_ -- DESCRIPTF --  -- 
                          POST_COLOR_LIST  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                          POST_RENT_WARNINGS  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                          POST_TYPE_LIST  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                          PRICES_ORD_TYPE  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Price_Codef -- PRIC_CODEF --  -- U
                                    Pric_Desc_ -- PRIC_DESCF --  -- 
                          PRICES_OTHER  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Price_Codef -- PRIC_CODEF --  -- U
                                    Pric_Desc_ -- PRIC_DESCF --  -- 
                          REPLACE_LIST  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                          RIDERS_AGENT  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Riders_ -- RIDERSF --  -- 
                          RIDERS_STCK  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Riders_ -- RIDERSF --  -- 
                          SIGNTYPE  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Sign_Type_ -- SIGN_TYPEF --  -- 
                          SUB_CONTRACTORS  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Contractr_ -- SUB_NAMEF --  -- 
                                    Sub_Numbf -- SUB_NUMBF --  -- U
                          TRAK_IT_CONFIRMATION_OUTBOX  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Date_ -- RECEIVE_DATE --  -- 
                          TRAK_IT_GENERAL_OUTBOX  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Date_ -- RECEIVE_DATE --  -- 
                                    Folder -- FOLDER --  -- 
                                    Msg_Id -- MSG_ID --  -- 
                          UNIT_TYPE  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Unit_Typef -- UNIT_TYPEF --  -- 
                          ZIPCODE  --                 e:\a5v7\trak-it_sp\app\
                                Indexes:
                                    Zip_ -- ZIPF --  --
                          Note that index names ending with an underscore are indexes that I created for a specific need. The indexes ending with "f" were created automatically by Alpha.

For anyone who purchased my AIMS Grab Bag addon, this list was created with the App Basics routine by selecting only Tables / Indexes to be listed.

Comment

After reading CALocklin's thread i feel a bit better, I'm not the only one having this issue.

Indexes are also more likely to get corrupted on a multi-user networked application. I have a couple apps that NEVER have index problems for single users but have progressively more index problems as more users start working from the network.
                            This is a valid point, I totally agree.
                            When me and 2 collegues tested the program that we developed, we never had indexing issues, but the same program running on a multi-user networked environment (the program is on a shared drive that users can access from their computers) needs database indexes to be refreshed almost every day.
                            In my case there could be a maximum of 16 people using the program at the same time, but I believe the average is about 8 people using the program simultaneously (2-3 in warehouse, 3-4 customer service, 1-2 finance and myself) and entering data (not just reading).

Also, I just wanted to add a personal thought:
                            in Alpha5 if you right-click on a database table you can select an operation called "Update indexes". You can't find this or similar operations on "normal" databases like SQL, probabily because there's no need for it.
                            Therefore, if they created and provided such an operation, it means that the tables' indexes in Alpha5 could be corrupted somehow (and they actually do).

My dilemma is:
                            is this issue DBF related? and turning into SQL would it fix the issue?

My boss already approved a proposal of re-building the entire program with technologies like .NET or J2EE if the answer to the previous question will be negative. I really hope this won't be the case.

MAURO TRENTINI

Comment

Originally posted by ITALIA View Post
                              After reading CALocklin's thread i feel a bit better, I'm not the only one having this issue.

This is a valid point, I totally agree.
                              When me and 2 collegues tested the program that we developed, we never had indexing issues, but the same program running on a multi-user networked environment (the program is on a shared drive that users can access from their computers) needs database indexes to be refreshed almost every day.
                              In my case there could be a maximum of 16 people using the program at the same time, but I believe the average is about 8 people using the program simultaneously (2-3 in warehouse, 3-4 customer service, 1-2 finance and myself) and entering data (not just reading).

Also, I just wanted to add a personal thought:
                              in Alpha5 if you right-click on a database table you can select an operation called "Update indexes". You can't find this or similar operations on "normal" databases like SQL, probabily because there's no need for it.
                              Therefore, if they created and provided such an operation, it means that the tables' indexes in Alpha5 could be corrupted somehow (and they actually do).

My dilemma is:
                              is this issue DBF related? and turning into SQL would it fix the issue?

My boss already approved a proposal of re-building the entire program with technologies like .NET or J2EE if the answer to the previous question will be negative. I really hope this won't be the case.

MAURO TRENTINI
                              Dear Mauro

swithing to A SQL backend vs DBF will eliminate this issue and give you enormous scalability

i dont know if you selwyn's comment on this topic

companies like Microsoft and Oracle have invested millions (possibly billions) to ensure the scaleability, reliability and performance of their sql databases.

if you use sql databases in a5, you get to piggy back on that investment.

while there are cetainly a lot of very impressive applications that have been developed on top of .dbf files, if you want hugely scaleable applications etc. then .dbf files are not recommended.

the great thing about v9 is that you can switch from .dbf files to sql tables incrementally. you can convert individual tables to active link tables as you see fit. the Export operation now allows you to export a .dbf to a sql table so converting an existing table to a sql table is easy.

a) export the data to sql
                              b) create an active-link to the sql table.
                              Richard Rabins
                              Co Chairman
                              Alpha Software

Comment

Working...
                              X