Alpha Video Training

Thread: How To Import Data From Web Application Into Desktop Application

Real Name
    John Smith

Default How To Import Data From Web Application Into Desktop Application

I'm looking into using Alpha 5 . I would like to know or be pointed in the direction of how to bring data into a desktop application when the data was originally entered in a form on the web. Any help would be appreciated.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Default Re: How To Import Data From Web Application Into Desktop Application

if the web application was in Alpha Five, then the desktop and web databases are the same format. You can just copy/move the web tables to your desktop location and open.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

To expand on what Steve says....since they are the same format you can also create Hybrid Apps where the desktop app can directly see the data entered from the web side and vice versa. That is, there is only one set of data tables that both the web and desktop side can use. I am currently doing this on two applications and it works slick.

Regards,

Jeff

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

BTW, welcome to Alpha and this board! It is great software!

This board is one of the best sales features Alpha has over other products. Lots of good info here as well as folks willing to help when you get stuck.

Real Name
    John Smith

Quote Originally Posted by jkletrovets View Post
    To expand on what Steve says....since they are the same format you can also create Hybrid Apps where the desktop app can directly see the data entered from the web side and vice versa. That is, there is only one set of data tables that both the web and desktop side can use. I am currently doing this on two applications and it works slick.

Regards,

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff,
    Sorry for taking so long to reply. I wish to also thank you for your response.
    That leads to a couple of questions:
    1. Do you host your own web databases and are they on the same server as your desktop solution is hosted.
    2. Also it seems that you're saying the same tables are being accessed on both the desktop and the web?
    3. Finally where can I find the best resource on best practices for the web/desktop setup.

Thank you,
    Richard Hyams

Real Name
    Steve Wood

1. Do you host your own web databases and are they on the same server as your desktop solution is hosted.
    2. Also it seems that you're saying the same tables are being accessed on both the desktop and the web?

If you host it locally you can share the database between your web app, and your desktop app. This has been coined a "hybrid". Or you can host anywhere you can rent a VPS or dedicated server, or with an Alpha host such as www.zebrahost.net.

3. Finally where can I find the best resource on best practices for the web/desktop setup.
    Check my website for starters, I have a bunch of articles and resouces listed for developers.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Hi Richard

Yes, we are hosting the site so it has access to the network drive where the desktop data resides.

Yep, that is exactly what is happening.

Unfortunately, I can't offer a concise direction to point you. I guess I got there from just reading on this board and playing around. I did just find this on Alpha's site by putting Hybrid in the search box.

http://www.alphasoftware.com/AlphaFi...ions_01_01.asp

Regards,

Jeff