Alpha Video Training

Thread: One table at a time?

Real Name
    Donny Hartzog

Default One table at a time?

I am using QReportBuilder alpha five v. 8 build 1963, QODBC version 8.00.00.242. I have created my first report and I am really pleased. My problem is that I have to refresh one table at a time. When I try to refresh 2 or more, my Windows Vista locks up and I get the message of "Not Responding". I have waited for several minutes to make sure nothing was happening. When I refresh one table at a time, I have no problems and it refreshes in only a few seconds for most tables. I have gone through and refreshed all tables one at a time. Please help! This is really slow to have to do it this way. Am I doing something wrong?

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Default Re: One table at a time?

Donny

Something doesn't sound right.....

The sum of the parts should equal the whole. So refreshing individually vs refreshing all should be a similar time with each table.

Can you run the report and refresh only the tables for the report or is there some preprocessing that you are doing that requires the refresh to happen in a script?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Donny Hartzog

I don't know how to refresh just the report tables without manually picking the tables and clicking refresh. When I do this, the same thing happens.
    I have tried single user mode, multi user mode, logging on as admin, and as individual user and no difference in the results.
    When I refresh one table at a time, I get the small "Status" windows that pop up in the bottom right corner of the screen. I can see the progress and there might be as many as 6 windows pop up as it is refreshing one table. When I pick more that one, all I get is a small window in the upper left of my screen and it is titled "Please wait" and in a few seconds, it adds after please wait "(not responding)".
    I have not used and do not understand scripting. So unless I have included something unknowingly, there should not be a problem with script.
    I can send you the file if you would like to look at it.

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Donny

When you preview the report, you should get a message asking if you want to refresh the data.

If not, then send me your report. I'll send you a private message with the way to upload a zip file to me.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Donny Hartzog

I do [U]not[U] get a message asking me to refresh when I preview.
    I'll wait for your message.

Thanks for the help.

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by dzog View Post
    I do [u]not[u] get a message asking me to refresh when I preview.
    I'll wait for your message.

Thanks for the help.
    Donny

Are you running the preview from the QRB home page? That's where it will ask about the refresh.... I just sent you a private message.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS

Real Name
    Donny Hartzog

Ok, here is what I just tried. Open the program and QB. From the home page, I clicked on preview report. It ask me to pick a report. Then it ask me if I wanted to refresh tables and I picked yes. It updated the tables perfectly in less that 1 minute. Then I closed the report and tried to refresh 4 other tables that I picked manually and I had the same old problem. At least I can refresh all the tables in a particular report at the same time.

I got your message and will send report.

Thanks again for your help.

Real Name
    David Gutierrez

I'm having the same problem on both my laptop and desktop. It says I'm using the sample database even though I have QB open and created a new project. It allows me only to Refresh 1 table at a time, any more than 1 table selected to refresh and it freezes up and I have to kill the program.

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGutie View Post
    I'm having the same problem on both my laptop and desktop. It says I'm using the sample database even though I have QB open and created a new project. It allows me only to Refresh 1 table at a time, any more than 1 table selected to refresh and it freezes up and I have to kill the program.
    Dave

Sounds like you might have the QODBC driver status panel open with a Alpha 5 panel also.

1. Try creating an action script that refreshes the tables with the silent option.

2. Or turn off the QODBC driver status panel.

Either method should put you back on track...
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS