Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Save the Date! Alpha Five Technology & Education Conference-Atlanta, September

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Save the Date! Alpha Five Technology & Education Conference-Atlanta, September

Hi Nikki,
    The Welcome Mixer is from 7:30pm � 9:00pm in the Brooks Foyer. Refreshments and Hors d�Oeuvres will be served. See you soon :)
    Valerie Simpkins
    Intellectual Business Solutions, Inc.�
    Business Intelligence for Intelligent Business�
    301-249-3400
    [email protected]
    www.intellectualbusinesssolutions.com

Comment

Re: Save the Date! Alpha Five Technology & Education Conference-Atlanta, September

To All --

Just a short tip of the hat to Valerie and to all the instructors at this year's conference. I thought Jerry Brightbill was especially good, in that he is able to effectively communicate not only with the less technical types (like me), but also with the very technical people in attendance about doing things with Alpha that are really quite spiffy. (debugging techniques, portable SQL, active links to foreign DB's, AJAX, etc.) Francie Peake was also very good.

I learned a number of things that I would call nuggets including particularly that if you have Version 8 and Version 9, there is no reason to delay going to Version 9. It is faster, more stable & has more cababilities.

I was disappointed that there were not more people from Alpha in attendance, but aside from that minor complaint, I would say the conference was professionally done, the facilities, the food, and the quality of instruction in the sessions I attended were excellent. The big book handout is also excellent.

Good Job!

-- Dick James

Comment

I attended the Alpha Technology conference in Atlanta this year and just wanted to say how inspiring and educational it was. Valerie Simpkins did a wonderful job putting this event together. I would highly encourage anyone working with Alpha to attend future conferences. It provided something for everyone from the beginner to the expert.

I do have to agree with the last post, it was a little odd that someone from Alpha wasn't at the event representing their product this year. I hope they will consider contributing their time and knowledge to future events. Nonetheless, the speakers all did an amazing job and the experience was worthwhile. And if anyone attending had any doubts about the product, Valerie and the rest of the crew did a great job selling and proving why Alpha Five IS the way to go!

I highly recommend all of you attending the next one!

Aundrea

Comment

Congratulations and hats off to Valerie for organizing the conference and we are delighted it went well and was a success and valuable to the attendees!!

Due to timing issues Alpha was not able to attend and this was not the official conference.

We will most certainly consider actively participating in future conferences because there is a huge of amount ultra cool stuff being cooked up in the Alpha Software "kitchen" these days and lots to show and tell.

Once again Kudos to Valerie and Presenters
          Richard Rabins
          Co Chairman
          Alpha Software

Comment

Can I add my British perspective - well done Valerie and team the event and choice of venue were excellent and it was all well worth sitting on a plane for 9 hours.

I am pleased to see Alpha reconsidering their position on these gatherings as I always felt the benefit of their presence was mutual.

It was great to meet developers from all over the USA and as a foreigner I appreciated the great American hospitality which never falters.

Best wishes to all

Bob Whitaker
            Bob Whitaker

Comment

If anyone wants to 'continue' the educational experience, you might attend one of our weekly webinars. Al Buchholz covers QReportBuilder on Thursdays, and I cover "Anything Alpha" on Friday's. Check the AlphaToGo website below and see the Webinar link for exact times. We've been doing these for over a year with great success.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

I just got back from the ATEC 2008 Alpha Five conference in Atlanta. I�ve been thinking about what makes the conference special and different from the webinars, support forums and one-on-one correspondence that take place the rest of the year.

At the conference...

- We escape from the daily demands of the office
                - We get to put faces with names
                - We meet people who share our interests and concerns
                - We learn new concepts and techniques
                - We hear real life stories about how Alpha Five is being used in the real world
                - We have impromptu conversations over lunch, in the hall and in the hotel bar
                - We get answers to questions that we didn�t know we had
                - We come home with ideas and inspiration

It's the magical combination of these things that happens only when we get together face-to-face, once a year at the Alpha Five conference.

Now, for a personal note: It was a pleasure seeing old friends and meeting new ones at this year�s conference. As a presenter I was regarded as an �expert� but I learned so much from fellow presenters and attendees alike. Thank you all, and very special thanks to Valerie and Karen for creating a great conference experience for all of us!

See you next year.

Francie Peake
                Frances Peake
                Proctor & Peake, Inc.
                Database Solutions for the Web and Desktop
                http://www.proctorandpeake.com

Comment

ATEC 2008 was my first Alpha conference and a great experience for me. Everything was well organized and I learned many valuable tips I would never have known. Hope next year Alpha management makes more of an appearance because a conference like this helps everyone.

Comment

Hope next year Alpha management makes more of an appearance because a conference like this helps everyone.

That is the plan

thanks
                    Richard Rabins
                    Co Chairman
                    Alpha Software

Comment

in addition we are planning more webinars on various topics during the course of the years
                      Richard Rabins
                      Co Chairman
                      Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
                        ...and this was not the official conference.
                        Richard, what is the "official conference"?
                        Peter
                        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                          Richard, what is the "official conference"?
                          My thoughts, exactly. Does this mean Alpha will be putting on a conference or does it mean they will endorse Valerie's conference as an official Alpha conference or .................?

kenn
                          TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

I attended the Alpha Conference in Burlington, MA (I think it was 2004). I met some really great people and learned a lot about the product. All of the key Alpha players were there and their input was really critical to my decision to pursue my quest to learn Alpha for web development. To my knowledge, that was the last time the Alpha team participated in the conference. That is a huge mistake on Alpha's part.

If I put myself in the shoes of Marketing Director, justifying the costs to the CEO, let me explain why.

1. The conference allows Alpha to meet the world wide developer base face to face to not only share new features/ideas but also to foster the personal relationships that are key to driving business forward. You have to put a face, a personality, behind this product. Just look at what Apple does to understand what I'm talking about. I'd put Selwyn against any of the great developers I know!

2. It shows a level of commitment. A vote of confidence for the developers and fledging developers. I can't imagine Alpha not attending the only annual conference that I'm aware of that is totally dedicated to their product.

3. The investment and PR community need to meet and see the Alpha team, face to face. A few complementary tickets could go a long way.

4. Alpha needs to foster a company culture that centers around the developers. It's success is currently directly tied to it's developers. Autodesk did this very well in it's early days. They used to host CAD Camp in Sausalito,CA for dealers and independent software developers every year. Thousand's attended. They had sponsors pay for everything (HP, IBM, Silicon Graphics, Calcomp, etc.). You had an opportunity to meet the Autodesk programming and sales teams face to face to discuss any ideas or issues you had. This was very beneficial to not only the independent dealers and developers, but also to Autodesk directly. Sadly, Autodesk has lost this culture as it is now run by the "corporate suits" and accountants reporting to Wall St. analysts and CAD Camp is long gone. Autodesk has lost it's mojo ;-(

5. It's FUN to see what everyone is doing or planning to do with your product !!!

Just my 2 cents,

Bob
                            Bob Moore

Comment

It is with great pleasure that I share my thoughts with you following our conference. In the three compact days and evenings, the conference delivered the most up-to-date, practical, and advanced technical information for Alpha Five. And, provided attendees with a venue for enhancing knowledge, making valuable contacts, and getting the support they needed to solve real business problems. Their smiling faces, "aha" moments, sharing during lunch, at the bar, and in the meeting rooms let me know that we accomplished what we set out to do. My thanks go to many people for helping make this conference happen. In particular, I'd like to thank Pat Bremkamp, David Brown, John Bunch, Jerry Brightbill, and Francie Peake who worked hard to make this a success. The additional time that the presenters have taken to document and share their ideas is greatly appreciated.

It was a pleasure to welcome back those not attending for the first time and are glad that they were able to establish new contacts and continue to expand their network of trust. To our first time attendees, we hope that they felt at home and welcomed them to our ATEC family. You can visit the conference website to see a short video (windows media format) from the conference. We were so involved we forgot to take photos from beginning to end. The photos do not have everyone in attendance represented because we were too busy and often had a hard time tearing them away from the sessions.

We hope next year everyone can place it on their schedule for September 10th - 12th and make arrangements to attend because plans are now underway for ATEC 2009, so look for future announcements. Don't forget to tell your colleagues as well.
                              Valerie Simpkins
                              Intellectual Business Solutions, Inc.�
                              Business Intelligence for Intelligent Business�
                              301-249-3400
                              [email protected]
                              www.intellectualbusinesssolutions.com

Comment

Hi Valerie,
                                I could not find any video on any of the pages...... and think I went through them all.
                                Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X