Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

My first A5 instruction Videos

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My first A5 instruction Videos

Peter,

Try again as I have no problem, even just typing in "alphato go.com" or any/all variations with http, www, etc..
    Mike

Comment

Yes, I've been watching the dozens of incoming messages from this process. It does not seem to be 'perfect'. When it fails, on my side the email is missing the expected information; and I can witness the two or three subsequent "tries" by obviously the same person. About one in twenty or so has this type of problem.

Everything is an expirement you know....otherwise I would be embarassed.

Again on my side, I get a string such as below indicating the URL of the thread the user came from. If I go to the link below and click on my own post's web link, it works most of the time, and then fails some percent of the time. But I never get the more serious problem you show, where the GoTo button does not lead to my website.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=72284

So maybe someone can find the flaw in my code; why does it fail some percent of the time? Obviously I need to determine this if I intend to sport a fancy video saying how nice it works!!
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Following up on some error reported, I modified the code (fired when you click my url below) to include some error checking.

IF eval_valid("request.referer") ' because for some clients, that variable will not get created.

IF ref<>"" ' in case request.referer exists, but returns blank

IF session.topic <> "" ' because who knows, it just might be blank

Code:
        IF eval_valid("request.referer")

ref = request.referer

IF ref<>""

dim dat as p
        		dat = a5_split_URL(ref)
        		url = dat.protocol + "://" + dat.server + dat.path + dat.page

result = http_post(url,dat.query_string)
        		topic = result.body
        		topic = extract_string(topic,"<title>","</title>")

'EXAMPLE TITLE
        		'<title>Conditional display of components? - Alpha Software Message Board</title>

topic = stritran(topic," - Alpha Software Message Board")

IF topic = "Alpha Software Message Board"
        			topic = "Private Message"
        		END IF

session.topic = topic
        		session.ref = ref

IF session.topic <> ""
        			?"Message Board Topic: <strong>" + session.topic + "</strong>"
        		END IF
        	END IF
        END IF
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Steve,

Now what did you do?? :)

I now get
          <H1>Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
          Additionally, a 400 Bad Request error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
          occaisionally when going from you a5w page to your website....seems to be about 1 out of 3 tries.
          Mike

Comment

Ah the joys of having a complex world and live system with live users - I was testing IE and FF with/without cookies, and then switched from V8 to V9. That's the page anyone would get if the server was down. But all that was happening is "toggling" from v8 to V9 took 120 seconds and you came in during that timeframe.

Which brings me to a good point - there is nothing like working in the real world as a learning experience.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

You're back in business!
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Taking requests....

I will be able to cut a few move videos in a few weeks as I wrap up some projects. Up to now I have been playing with the medium, getting my bearings, seeing what works. Some have responded that the videos are nice, but beyond what they can do technically, or not really what they want to accomplish. I figure they are mostly about learning technique rather than trying to duplicate the exact purpose.

But I'd like to know what other's think is important, and see if I can accomodate.

Once you get in to it (making videos), it's rather fun. But it also can get expensive if you go all out on equipment, and can be time conusming on the editing side. Too much editing and it comes off choppy; move one inch back or forth from the mic, and your vioce output completely changes. This will make you laugh; I purchased a very high quality mic, and on the first couple videos I could hear a ticking sound throughout - it was my wall clock from five feet away. I now have to turn everything off, cover my computer with a blanket and use a "spider shock mount" for the microphone to reduce vibration. I look like Letterman sitting at my desk.

If this works out, I'd be up to making videos of works by other developers (for a small fee) in order to get them in to the Alpha showcase.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve

Trust me you look nothing like Letterman :D
                  Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

A5 Instruction Videos

New video #7 dated 6/23/08: Showcase - Web-based Traffic Citation program [for use by police].

See website link below, Developer Resources. If you don't like the application, at least you'll like the background music.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve

did you mean to include this link

http://alphatogo.com/video/ecit_demo.htm
                      Richard Rabins
                      Co Chairman
                      Alpha Software

Comment

Doesn't hurt, but all of the videos are on my website, so I direct traffic there in case anyone wants to see the other ones.
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Well Steve,
                          Very impressive! If I had half the knowledge and skills you have in these areas...

I like how you improved your #5 video from when I reviewed it some time ago.

All the videos I viewed today (4-7) were clear, informative, at the right speed pace and visually appealing.

The only suggestion I may have is...more please!
                          Eric

Alpha Five Websites
                          longlivepuppies.com
                          socialservicenetwork.com
                          -------------------------------------------------
                          socialservicenetwork.org

Comment

New Video #8. This one is on Login and recovering from a failure, prohibiting access on failure, alerting the Admin.

It's more of a showcase than technical, not much on the actual code.

See website below, Developer Resources menu item.
                            Steve Wood
                            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Another quick one, video #9.

This one is on sitemap, robots.txt and META Tags. Three very important things most of us leave out of our application. It really is not a discussion about them, more about how I implemented them in my template.

I kicked off this little two hour project after discovering Google was indexing my test application websites. Not cool, but kinda fastinating. So I put a robots.txt on each of them to stop indexing, and sitemap.xml on the sites I do want indexed, to tell search engines what to index.

Not an expert in this area, but I discovered you can use sitemap file to tell search engines to follow your dynamic content. For instance if you have a shopping cart with a thousand items, but only 10 items appear at a time. In this case, the URL to the first page might look like this:

HTML Code:
                              http://www.mydomain.com/mypage.a5w?
                              But the second page will look like this:

HTML Code:
                              http://www.mydomain.com/mypage.a5w?mycomponent_Page=2
                              You can include all of the pages in sitemap.xml and search engines will follow your URL and index those pages.

THAT is a lot more detail than just indexing your static website.

I have not done it yet, but I plan to add routines that automatically generate all possible URL's for a dynamic site so they can be included in the sitemap and indexed.
                              Steve Wood
                              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                              X