Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

New Run Engine Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Run Engine Question

Originally posted by Ed Barley View Post
    Hello All,

Yes it is still a little confusing. Just sent this off by email to sales, to see what the answer is. Interpitation is a funny/crazy thing.

HTML Code:
    Hello,

Have been reading on the Alpha site about the new V9 runtime lic. Differences.

Say I purchase a 10 user V9 runtime with 1 license number.  I develop an application that can be used at 3 locations with 10 people at each location.

Does the licensing still work the same, where I can purchase the one 10 user runtime, and use it with the one license at 3 locations?  

Or do I the developer need to now buy 3 V9 10 user license numbers to distribute the application at the 3 locations, for 10 users at each location?

Thanks

Ed

Ed
    Ed,

as i understand, you can install your runtime engine in one or more locations with added security. this security means the end-user wont be able to re-install (redistribute) the runtime engine to other location without our knowledge.

alpha suggests that we buy multiple single licenses if we develop applications that are intended to run on multiple clients for added flexibility. for example, you intend to buy 5 user runtime licenses, buy it in single license times 5.

in v8, limiting the use of user license on a 10 user runtime will take some xbasic skills. i know ira has an addin that serve this functionality.

i created one too but it is embedded on my applications, it asks once on first use for authentication before you can use the app.

regards to all
    Last edited by fddizon; 03-20-2008, 07:45 PM.
    Francis

Comment

Bill:
      I am probably wrong, but in the past there was no need to put in a license no when using the runtime version of Alpha v8 or v7. Thus, yes, you need a runtime to run an application you created, but there was no extra charge when sending it along with a completed app to another computer. That seems to have now changed. As I read it, you would have to buy a separate runtime for each app you produce and prior to running the app on another computer, you would have to include a license number for the runtime for it to work. The license number would only work for one application, as I would think the registration would go back to Alpha for verification, as does a full version of Alpha.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this.
      "Ollie, remember how dumb I used to be? Well, I'm much better now."

Pete

Comment

From what I have read on this forum for good while is that the developers wanted to take any hint of Alpha out of the application. Some suggesting were to use another name in the window title or "how do I stop the popup messages from showing alpha in the header?"

Now as Pete just posted
        as I would think the registration would go back to Alpha for verification, as does a full version of Alpha.
        I'm not a developer, but I think that would upset a client if they bought an application from a developer and then when they load the application for the first time they have to enter their license which would have Alpha intervention for verification.

I really don't think that is a good idea - but then again I'm don't make my living as a developer.

I may be wrong.

Tom

Comment

Pete,

Just stating what it says in the v8 license - "If you are developing custom applications for various customers, then each customer is required to have their own runtime."

That doesn't sound any clearer that a developer SHOULD purchase a new runtime license for each customer they sell a custom app to. Just because a license code was not required to be entered does not mean it can be freely distributed. I never heard of Alpha going after anyone for doing this , but MANY companies do.

I think Alpha is finally taking care of this unmanagable problem by requiring a license code to be entered for each user.

I think there was a common misconception about what could and could not be done with the runtime. I, quite honestly, never read the license, just assumed that you buy the runtime and whatever you did with it was ok. Does not appear to be the case then and certainly not now. But hopefully Richard will clear this up.

Bill
          Bill Griffin
          Parkell, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny Forziati View Post
            That is a broken link, the correct URL is https://www.alphasoftware.com/shop/a...un_engines.asp
            Thanks Lenny (and others).
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Perhaps clarification can be found here re: v8:

http://alphasoftware.blogspot.com/search?q=filemaker

It says, in part (as example):
              All Alpha Five runtime modules, which start at three-user, are unlimited runtimes. What does this mean? If we go back to the gas station model above, it means that I can sell my application to an unlimited number of gas stations without having to buy a runtime for each gas station.

-and-

Alpha Five allows you to install the runtime on an unlimited number of workstations per site. So even with the three-user runtime, if the gas station has 10 workstations, you can install the runtime on all 10 workstations, with the only limitation being that it will only allow a maximum of 3 concurrent users on a network. If they are not networked, then there is no limitation.

During my purchase deliberation, Alpha sales pointed me to that very blog entry to explain that a single 3-user license could be redeployed to multiple customers.

No doubt about it, v9 licensing is an entirely different animal.
              Last edited by fsi; 03-20-2008, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbaker View Post
                I'm not a developer, but I think that would upset a client if they bought an application from a developer and then when they load the application for the first time they have to enter their license which would have Alpha intervention for verification.
                The dialog in the Run Engine that prompts for the license number is completely customizable by the developer (if the developers wants to customize it).

Comment

Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins View Post
                  The dialog in the Run Engine that prompts for the license number is completely customizable by the developer (if the developers wants to customize it).
                  Indeed, I feel this would look and feel much more professional to the customer than the current/V8 model... If you customise it, that is... the important question about "What about allowing time demos/trials of apps written in A5" hasn't been answered yet though... this would be quite interesting although it doesn't currently affect me...

Comment

the important question about "What about allowing time demos/trials of apps written in A5" hasn't been answered yet though...
                    I think Richard answered that by saying that there is an OEM version for this purpose.

if you have built a commercial application that you are selling to multiple clients - you would qualify for OEM RUN ENGINE pricing that would fully take into account the price of your application to your customer and continue to make Alpha Five a very good choice from a development AND an economic point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Page View Post
                      I think Richard answered that by saying that there is an OEM version for this purpose.
                      I suppose so... it would just be a VERY nice touch if you could produce a timed demo/trial from A5 directly, without having to code any locks etc. after the trial expires yourself...

Comment

I am usually very positive about Business, but it is non of anybody's business how much I am selling my product for. A runtime is a runtime! It is purchased by the developer or user and is not the business of any company or individual how or where it is used except as prescibed.

I built my own count and can stop my 20 user runtime at 1 or howerever many users and I execise that.

Programmers are the ones that need to worry about their licensing and it has been discussed many times on this forum. The how to's are here.

It sounds like we are going to have to buy a license for each sale we make and then OUR app will be registered with Alpha. This never happened with Clipper, VB, C, C++ or any other runtime/developement I ever worked with. This is something I am against 100%. I hope it is not the case.

Now I will be booted of the forum for sure, but have spoken like a true american with roots to the first people of this country. Now I am going to bed MAD.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave - we are not registering users of your application
                          Richard Rabins
                          Co Chairman
                          Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Griffin View Post
                            Richard,

SO for the "package" developers there is an oem license. And for the custom app developers there is a more secure, more flexible and simpler way to license their apps.

Am I way off base or missing something?

Bill
                            Bill you have described it well
                            Richard Rabins
                            Co Chairman
                            Alpha Software

Comment

Could someone from Alpha please reply to each of the following scenarios with short sentences, using small words.

1. I write a accounting application for an individual, single user, that I charge a $100. Someone must also pay Alpha $99 for a single user runtime?

2. I write a pricing application for a small office with 5 users that I charge $500. Someone must also pay Alpha $399 for a 5 user runtime?

3. I write a purchasing application for a office of 10 users that I charge $750. Someone must pay Alpha $599 for a 10 user runtime?

4. If I sold each of the applications in the above scenarios multiple times, someone in each case would have to pay for additional runtime licenses?

5. What is the difference between a package developer and a custom apps developer? A package developer distributes to many, as opposed to custom apps developer writing an application that they are the primary user?

6. How much is the OEM license and how does it work?

7. From another post that was never answered:
                              In V9, will it be possible to create an Update operation in Alpha, from the operations tab, that will update a SQL table? Will you be able to Post from a .dbf table in Alpha to a SQL table? Will other Alpha operations have the ability to modify SQL tables?

I am anxiously awaiting the answer.
                              Last edited by Alan Lee; 03-21-2008, 07:14 AM. Reason: add to it

Comment

Richard,

Alpha has put the user forum forward as a selling point of its product with its friendly and free technical support. Well the forum is telling you something now and I think it is something you should consider. Reading through the threads I get a very definite sense of alienation coming through. That is not good. Remember you yourselves steer people to the forum to see what Alpha can do and the support offered in it. I just wonder what any new viewers are thinking now when the look at the backlash of comments. Do not make the mistake of leaving your current customers behind in that search for new bigger ones. I worked for a company that did that and had been established for over 40 years and employed 180 people. They got drawn into the Telecom boom and let slip all there defence contracts in search of higher volume work with the likes of Nokia, Motorola and Ericsson. Things were great for 5-10 years but when the bubble burst it hit hard and they closed down in 2003. Please, you have a great piece of software let it grow at a natural healthy rate keeping your current customers while looking for the bigger markets. The new runtime does not conform to that as you can see by all the comments.

Comment

Working...
                                X