Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Editing Html field trough a grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editing Html field trough a grid

Why cant I edit an Html field trough a web grid?
    Cheers
    Mauricio

Re: Editing Html field trough a grid

What HTML field do you mean? A HTML Memo?

Try the HTML Editor download from Steve's website: http://alphatogo.com/learning.htm

Comment

Noetic
      Yes i mean a html memo field,
      I dont understad how will this help me update a html field trough a grid?
      Cheers
      Mauricio

Comment

Originally posted by mmaisterrena View Post
        Noetic
        Yes i mean a html memo field,
        I dont understad how will this help me update a html field trough a grid?
        The free download on Steve's site lets you edit any text area input on a form or dialog or grid with a WYSIWYG HTML editor. Just try it to see if it does what you want!
        Last edited by NoeticCC; 03-29-2008, 11:55 AM.

Comment

That HTML editor is pretty slick. However, given that Alpha Five v9 appears to natively support HTML formatting in Text Area fields exclusively for desktop applications (at least from my understanding), are there any provisions being made to allow Text Area fields in grids to interpret the HTML? I would otherwise think that this would pose a problem for applications that might format in HTML on the desktop side, but then choose to display that same data through WAS, only to show the raw HTML behind it without the formatting benefits.

In my case, everything I run is through WAS, but I'd rather avoid having to use an add-on HTML editor solution on my view-only pages, purely to interpret any HTML formatting. Unfortunately, if it don't do this, then viewing any Text Area fields simply shows the raw HTML that's sitting in the memo field.

Is there an alternative to this, or do most of you who use this add-on simply apply it across the board to all your pages with Text Area fields?

Regards,
          Tarek

Comment

Any alternative would look and operate much like the 'add on' on my site. Look at our own user forum when you post a message, it's an HTML editor that looks much the same.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

Yes, I understand, but I was referring specifically to view-only pages. For example, my application has an Edit and View version of each page, with the vast majority of our users only able to access the View version. While I agree that there would likely be little difference between the "add-on" solution vs. an alternative for pages where users are free to edit/submit data, I was hoping that this wouldn't be necessary for view-only pages, where I would only want something to interpret any HTML found in the data being displayed and formats that data accordingly.

Basically, I would rather avoid the toolbars, etc that wouldn't serve any real purpose to someone who's viewing a version of a page that doesn't have editing capabilities in the first place and only needs "something" to format the HTML in any Text Areas.

Perhaps the "add-on" can be tweaked to turn off the toolbars in certain scenarios. I haven't had a chance to tinker with it much yet, but regardless, this is a terrific find. Thanks for putting it on your site!

Regards,
              Tarek

Comment

Tarek,

If you are talking about a view only page on the web, then the answer is simple, and you don't need to load the html editor.

Just read the html into a variable and display the variable on the page using <%a5 ?variable %>.

For example, here is the complete code to show event information in a view only page, part of which is attached. As a bonus, this displays very fast:

Code:

<html><head>
                <%a5
                '==== get the event info
                Dim tbl as p
                Dim vEV as p
                tbl=table.open("[pathAlias.ADB_Path]\events")
                tbl.order("Ev_Id")
                tbl.fetch_find(session.Ev.Id)
                vEv.Title = tbl.Ev_Title
                vEv.Speaker = tbl.Ev_speaker
                vEv.Bio = tbl.Ev_bio
                vEv.Desc = tbl.Ev_desc
                vEv.Flyer = tbl.Ev_html
                vEv.Loc = tbl.Ev_loc
                vEv.Time = tbl.Startdate+" "+tbl.Starttime
                vEv.Adr = tbl.Ev_adr1
                vEv.City = tbl.Ev_city
                vEv.Loc=vEv.loc+", "+vEv.Adr+", "+vEv.City
                vEv.Menu=tbl.Ev_menu
                vEv.Parking=tbl.Ev_parking
                vEv.Sponsors=tbl.Ev_sponsor
                tbl.close()
                Dim vFeeList as C
                vFeeList=table.external_record_content_get("[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\Fees","alltrim(Fee_type)+\" \"+alltrim(str(Fee_Amt,9,2,\"$(\"))","","Ev_Id="+quote(session.Ev.Id))
                %>
                <meta name="generator" content="Alpha Five HTML Editor Version 8 Build 1301-3062">
                <title>View an Event</title>
                </head>
                <body class="ASQPageBody">
                <p align=left style="MARGIN: 0px">
                 <form><input type="button" value="Close This Window" style="WIDTH: 136px" onclick="window.close()"></form>
                </p>
                <table cellspacing="4" cellpadding="4" width="800" borderColor=#3366cc border=2>
                <tr><td width="90"><p>Event</p></td><td><%a5 ?vEv.title %></td></tr>
                <tr><td width="90"><p>Speaker</p></td><td><%a5 ?vEv.Speaker %></td></tr>
                <tr><td width="90"><p>Location</p></td><td><%a5 ?vEv.Loc %></td></tr>
                <tr><td width="90"><p>Time</p></td><td><%a5 ?vEv.Time %></td></tr>
                <tr><td valign="top" width="90"><p>Speaker Bio</p></td><td><%a5 ?vEv.Bio %></td></tr>
                <%a5 if alltrim(vEv.Flyer)="" %>
                 <tr><td valign="top" width="90"><p>Description</p></td><td><%a5 ?vEv.Desc %></td></tr>
                <%a5 else %>
                 <tr><td valign="top" width="90"><p>Flyer</p></td><td><%a5 ?vEv.Flyer %></td></tr>
                <%a5 end if %>
                <tr><td width="90"><p>Costs</p></td><td><%a5 ?vFeeList %></td></tr>
                <tr><td width="90"><p>Menu</p></td><td><%a5 ?vEv.Menu %></td></tr>
                <%a5 if len(alltrim(vEv.Parking))>1 %>
                 <tr><td width="90"><p>Parking</p></td><td><%a5 ?vEv.Parking %></td></tr>
                <%a5 end if %>
                <%a5 if len(alltrim(vEv.Sponsors))>1 %>
                 <tr><td width="90"><p>Sponsors</p></td><td><%a5 ?vEv.Sponsors %></td></tr>
                <%a5 end if %>
                </table>
                </body></html>
                Pat Bremkamp
                MindKicks Consulting

Comment

I missed the view-only part. You can just display the text in the browser with code like this:

Code:
                  dim txt as c
                  txt = table.external_record_content_get("[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\company","aboutus1","","ID="+quote(session.__protected__co))
                  ?txt
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Tarek,

if you set an html memo field as a Label alpha will interpret the html correctly, the problem is how the user could enter this html code form a web aplication. the answer may be this html editor add on wich i havent had time to realy test it
                    Cheers
                    Mauricio

Comment

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I'm afraid that the day-to-day aspects of my job reared its collective ugly head, and I had to set this aside for a while.

Perhaps I didn't explain what I'm trying to accomplish on the view-only side very well. I understand what would need to be done to display a particular database field in an .A5W page. The situation I am trying to address is in a grid, though.

Basically, I maintain 2 grids that access the same table and control the pretty much the same fields. One of these is an editable version accessible only to a handful of people, and the other is a view-only version that everyone else uses to see the data. The problem is that if I use the HTML editor on the editable grid, the view-only grid as well as the reports will display the raw HTML code without any kind of interpretation of the code to leverage its presentation advantages. I've tried mmaisterrena's suggestion of changing the control from Text Area to Label, but this still doesn't display the proper HTML formatting - only the source HTML (both in the grid, as well as report).

One quasi-solution I was considering for a while was loading in the HTML editor even for the view-only page, just to let it do the work of HTML interpretation (though obviously the buttons on the toolbar would be completely useless, as they would in view-only controls). However, even if I could live with the display of toolbars that don't really do anything (again, since view-only..), this would not address how the data shows up on reports.

Unless I'm missing something pretty fundamental, this same limitation exists in the base Alpha Five product, even without the use of a 3rd party HTML editor. Since Alpha Five Desktop supports the use of an HTML editor for memo fields, I'd imagine that someone out there must have an application that displays the same data entered as HTML via Desktop in a grid and/or reports, in which case they'd run into the exact same problem.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying it, but wouldn't it make sense for the Text Area controls in grids to simply have a "Display HTML" property that toggles the interpretation of HTML code found in controls being displayed, with some equivalent for reports?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I also tried setting the grid control to Freeform with the following:
                      PHP Code:
                      <%a5
                      ? {FIELD_NAME}
                      %> 
                      ...along with minor variations. WAS didn't appear to like this.

Regards,
                      Tarek

Comment

The syntax in freeform areas is just:

{FIELD_NAME} to show that fields contents, not

<%a5
                        ? {FIELD_NAME}
                        %>

As to the HTML, today's your lucky day! Alpha does exactly as you suggest, a Grid can interpret the HTML. I did not know this until just now. See the attached.

- make your field a Label
                        - Go to Display Format
                        - Select Special Formats and then HTML Memo.
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                          As to the HTML, today's your lucky day! Alpha does exactly as you suggest, a Grid can interpret the HTML. I did not know this until just now. See the attached.

- make your field a Label
                          - Go to Display Format
                          - Select Special Formats and then HTML Memo.
                          I am just waiting for the editable text box to integrate a simple HTML editor similar to the downloadable one you have on your site! :)

Comment

Steve,

Ouch, I can't believe that I missed that! I could've sworn that I had looked there before. I guess that's exactly what mmaisterrena was referring to. Thanks for catching this!

I'll keep poking around to see if I've missed a similar option in reports.. So far I see an HTML option that allows displaying of a field, but without the interpretation of the HTML.

Regards,
                            Tarek

Comment

Frankly I've always wondered what those Special Formats were for. I never found a use until now.

Andrea - don't wait. If Alpha implements something it will look exactly like what you would get if you integrate the HTML Editor on my site.
                              Steve Wood
                              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                              X