Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

V8 "style" RunTimes introduced for Alpha Five v9 PLATINUM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V8 "style" RunTimes introduced for Alpha Five v9 PLATINUM

(removed broken link)

Full details including pricing are at (removed broken link)
    Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 06-02-2023, 02:44 PM. Reason: removed broken links
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Re: V8 "style" RunTimes introduced for Alpha Five v9 PLATINUM

Richard:

Great work - congratulations to you and the Alpha team.

Tom Baker

Comment

Thanks Tom:

We have worked hard on this:)
      Richard Rabins
      Co Chairman
      Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
        Thanks Tom:

We have worked hard on this:)
        And on the documentation, well done!!!! Go grab those easter eggs and chocolates you lot must no doubt have missed by spending all of last weekend trying to sort out our varied "complaints" :)

Comment

Despite all the "kudus" (Wits grads notwithstanding, Richard) on the newly revised pricing for Runtimes, I remain confused.

Here is my scenario:

I wish to give my client a one off of the market research information I have provided for him so that he can manipulate it to his heart's content with all the reports, forms, and queries that I have developed. I assume this is a custom application. He does not need access to SQL tables (everything in dbf format).

Based on this link (removed broken link)
          the one user runtime cost is $399, the same price as a FULL VERSION of a5v9 for a new user as shown here: (removed broken link)

Why in this instance would anyone buy the runtime when you can get the "full monty" for the same price?

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Duncan
          Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 06-02-2023, 02:49 PM. Reason: removed broken link

Comment

Richard, I'm a little confused regarding the "Packaged" application distribution. It is my understanding that a developer can create an unlimited number of "packaged" applications that can be distributed to as many company's/customers as they want, as long as the application is considered a "packaged" application. My question is two-fold.... When developing an application, is there something that has to be done within Alpha during the development phase, that determines that the application is "packaged" vs. "Custom"? And, what is the "user account unlock code"? Is this code given to all recipients of the packaged application, and if so, does everyone get the same code?

I'm excited about the opportunity to purchase the new version, however my firm requires a little more info regarding the above issues. Thanks!

EDIT: I've noticed several other posts since I started typing mine... and while I'm sure you all worked hard at clearing any ambiguity regarding this new pricing, some questions still linger/need to be resolved. Any chance of possibly editing the description to include more information? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by smrogers View Post
              Richard, I'm a little confused regarding the "Packaged" application distribution. It is my understanding that a developer can create an unlimited number of "packaged" applications that can be distributed to as many company's/customers as they want, as long as the application is considered a "packaged" application.

My question is two-fold.... When developing an application, is there something that has to be done within Alpha during the development phase, that determines that the application is "packaged" vs. "Custom"?

no there is not

And, what is the "user account unlock code"? Is this code given to all recipients of the packaged application, YES and if so, does everyone get the same code ? YES

for further clarification the document explains

When you purchase the Alpha Five Runtime, you are issued with a "user count unlock code." The sole purpose of this code is to "unlock" the user count on the Runtime to the concurrent number of users you licensed when you purchased your Runtime license. The "user count unlock code" provides you with new flexibility, because it gives you the ability to add runtimes together to increase your concurrent user count. The "user count unlock code" is in turn provided by you to all your customers. You have complete control over the appearance of the dialog that prompts the user for the "user count unlock code." This dialog box is only displayed once - the first time the user runs your application.

I'm excited about the opportunity to purchase the new version, however my firm requires a little more info regarding the above issues. Thanks!

hopefully this helps -- - if you have any other questions you can also email me at [email protected] or [email protected]

EDIT: I've noticed several other posts since I started typing mine... and while I'm sure you all worked hard at clearing any ambiguity regarding this new pricing, some questions still linger/need to be resolved. Any chance of possibly editing the description to include more information? Thanks.
              Richard Rabins
              Co Chairman
              Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by DSG View Post
                Despite all the "kudus" (Wits grads notwithstanding, Richard) on the newly revised pricing for Runtimes, I remain confused.

Here is my scenario:

I wish to give my client a one off of the market research information I have provided for him so that he can manipulate it to his heart's content with all the reports, forms, and queries that I have developed. I assume this is a custom application. He does not need access to SQL tables (everything in dbf format).

Based on this link (removed broken link)
                the one user runtime cost is $399, the same price as a FULL VERSION of a5v9 for a new user as shown here: (removed broken link)

Why in this instance would anyone buy the runtime when you can get the "full monty" for the same price?

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Duncan
                The RunTime allows for additinional distribution rights as explained in (removed broken link)

The basic idea here is that the 1 user runtime lets a person create single user "packaged" applications (with no active links) and distribute it/them freely to as many people as they like or could be used to create a 1 user demo of a multi-user "packaged" application for free broad distribution

The "full monty" as you call it:) is a license for the full Alpha Five that is meant to license one user

So they are actually different beasts
                Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 06-02-2023, 02:47 PM. Reason: removed broken link
                Richard Rabins
                Co Chairman
                Alpha Software

Comment

Richard;
                  It's not for nothing that my high school Physics teacher named me "Mini Brain" ...
                  but I think I understand the differences between the full version and what you can do with the runtime (I know they are different beasts, but you charge the same!). So with all due respect, I don't think you answered my question. In my example, according to the licence, for a one off copy my client (and probably only one person would ever use it!) would require a Runtime licence (@ $399). He can buy (or I can purchase for him) a full (not an upgrade, but priced as a New User!) version of A5v9 also for $399.

Again, what am I missing?

Thanks,
                  Duncan

Comment

I am not going to jump on the bandwagon.

At this time I like the drill down reports and the fixed browse (which I feel the browse should have been fixed in V8, but have lived with it) Those are the only 2 features I feel I need at this time. For me to upgrade those 2 features with 1 full, plus 10 user runtime will cost me $1,098.00. I can not justify the upgrade cost so I will be staying with V8 at this time. I do not remember what I paid for V8 upgrade but I do not think it was anything close to that.

Oh, Oh
                    May have spoke too soon, I reading down further there are bundle packages that are way cheaper. Should have done more reading before posting.
                    Last edited by turbojack; 03-28-2008, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Richard;
                      It's not for nothing that my high school Physics teacher named me "Mini Brain" ...
                      but I think I understand the differences between the full version and what you can do with the runtime (I know they are different beasts, but you charge the same!). So with all due respect, I don't think you answered my question. In my example, according to the licence, for a one off copy my client (and probably only one person would ever use it!) would require a Runtime licence (@ $399). He can buy (or I can purchase for him) a full (not an upgrade, but priced as a New User!) version of A5v9 also for $399.

Again, what am I missing?

Thanks,
                      Duncan
                      Either will work - In your case - price is not the issue , but rather what capability you want your customer to have.

The full version is the full development version which of course can run (and modify your application).

The Runtime (and Run Engine) allows developers to protect their intellectual property by preventing users from seeing the source code to scripts and functions. Alpha Five also gives an extra level of protection by allowing developers to compile scripts and functions.
                      Richard Rabins
                      Co Chairman
                      Alpha Software

Comment

Richard;
                        Or get the full version AND a 1 user "unlimited" RT for $399.... I know what I'd choose! ;)

I guess the whole point is that if you are a developer who wants to be able to create demo versions of your products, in order to allow that you just get the $399 bundle so you can get a copy of A5V9 and a 1 user RT included.

Comment

I know Alpha says to call if you have more seats then users. Why the difference between the Seat (computer) & User. Why not just use users for both runtime and run engine?

Comment

"In your case - price is not the issue , but rather what capability you want your customer to have."

Well, actually PRICE IS THE ISSUE. I don't need to hide source code etc. In this case the "custom application" is not the product the client is buying. The product is the data I have created for him. Electronic accessibility and manipulation is an added benefit. Today this is provided through MS Excel (which everyone has and knows how to use). Because I use Alpha to create, edit, and process the data (which includes myriad Alpha queries, operations, and reports) providing a "copy" to my client would be of some benefit. However, not $399 per "one off" of benefit. It remains much better "value" in Excel.

Too bad!

Duncan

Comment

Richard,

Complements and a well done! You and your team really listen very well and you structured it nicely so evryone can figure out what they need and get only what they need at the most affordable price with the flexibilty to add later. My hat is off.

I will put my money where my mouth is and make a purchase within 72 hours for v9. Yes I needed it and wanted so much to bring my biggest app up to v9. I have been improving it since about '94.

I have never seen a compny of any kind listen so well and make the effort to understand their customers concerns. It is a pleasure to be a very small part of such a big and wonderful community as the alpha family of users.
                              Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                              X