Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

V8 "style" RunTimes introduced for Alpha Five v9 PLATINUM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: V8 "style" RunTimes introduced for Alpha Five v9 PLATINUM

Duncan - you indicated in an earlier post

I wish to give my client a one off of the market research information I have provided for him so that he can manipulate it to his heart's content with all the reports, forms, and queries that I have developed

If I understand this correctly - the DATA you have created is of value and the ability for your client to manipulate the data "to his heart's content with all the reports, forms, and queries that I have developed" is of value.

When you say that the cost of the 1 user runtime ($399) is high in your case for the value that it offers your client over Excel, I accept your judgement (since only you are privvy to the specific facts.) However I dont know if noticed that under the promo that we are running - there is a marginal cost of only $100 for 1 user runtime when purchased as part of the Alpha Five v9 platinum+ 1 User runtime bundle which costs a total of $399 which represents a premium of only $100 over Alpha v9 platinum by itself which is $299.

Btw we have intentionally created this bundle to offer a truly compelling bundle during this promotion

I hope this is useful
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
      Richard,

Complements and a well done! You and your team really listen very well and you structured it nicely so evryone can figure out what they need and get only what they need at the most affordable price with the flexibilty to add later. My hat is off.

I will put my money where my mouth is and make a purchase within 72 hours for v9. Yes I needed it and wanted so much to bring my biggest app up to v9. I have been improving it since about '94.

I have never seen a compny of any kind listen so well and make the effort to understand their customers concerns. It is a pleasure to be a very small part of such a big and wonderful community as the alpha family of users.
      Thank you Dave for your very kind comments. As I have said over the last few days, we recognize that Alpha Five is more than just a product, it is a community of some very smart, creative, dedicated people who have a vision for products that they want to build, clients they want to serve and companies that they want to make more successful.

Thank you.
      Richard Rabins
      Co Chairman
      Alpha Software

Comment

However I dont know if noticed that under the promo that we are running - there is a marginal cost of only $100 for 1 user runtime when purchased as part of the Alpha Five v9 platinum+ 1 User runtime bundle which costs a total of $399 which represents a premium of only $100 over Alpha v9 platinum by itself which is $299.

Btw we have intentionally created this bundle to offer a truly compelling bundle during this promotion

I hope this is useful[/QUOTE]

Yes, I saw that ... hence back to my original post about being "confused". How can I use this "bundle" (with the runtime), since by the terms of the runtime licence, everytime I create a "custom app" (in this case accessibilty for my client to access the data) I must have him buy a licence for $399. Are you saying that my purchase of the runtime (for $100) gives me the right to let my client buy a runtime for $399 instead of his buying the full version (also for $399) which he could use to access the data anyway?

One of us is still missing something here.

Comment

Again the Alpha team has shown why I consider them to be AWESOME!
          Great company, great products, great support.

I have found a home with Alpha. I bought it, am using it, and making
          money with it. What more can you ask for?

Ted Berry
          TLBerry Enterprises

Comment

Duncan - just email me with your phone number and we should be able to clear up any confusion.

Thanks
            [email protected]
            Richard Rabins
            Co Chairman
            Alpha Software

Comment

... will do

Thanks

Comment

Not to add more confusion to the runtime issue, but I have a question.

Can an application be developed where some people need to have the sql active links and others don't?

Then could they buy a 3 seat runtime w/active links and a 10 user runtime w/o active links and use it on the same app and network?

The reason I ask is I have an application that I would like to update a security SQL database for the badging stations but the other users have no need to have active links for this purpose and are just using dbf data.

Comment

Originally posted by sicomputerguy View Post
                  Not to add more confusion to the runtime issue, but I have a question.

Can an application be developed where some people need to have the sql active links and others don't?

Then could they buy a 3 seat runtime w/active links and a 10 user runtime w/o active links and use it on the same app and network?

The reason I ask is I have an application that I would like to update a security SQL database for the badging stations but the other users have no need to have active links for this purpose and are just using dbf data.
                  Sure, as far as I'm aware the per seat RT Engines work completely independently from any other installations of an application, basically you could have one build of the app with active link tables, but users in a different group get a passive link version of the same tables.... Both can access the same SQL database, but only one group/type can edit that data directly through forms etc.

Comment

yes, that will be fine.

the people who are running the runtime won't be able to open the active-link tables, but the people who are using the run engine will be able to open the active-link tables.
                    Richard Rabins
                    Co Chairman
                    Alpha Software

Comment

Richard,

That is awesome.

Thanks,
                      Pat

PS. I placed my order for the upgrade today.

Comment

I have been following this whole topic of licencing and must say that I think Alpha has now put a very good solution in place.
                        A developer can now offer a range of solutions and so compete in any market.
                        Whilst I have not done a whole lot with Platinum, my initial impressions are that the new functionality is very exciting as it enables developers to do things that will surprise many clients.
                        Well done to everyone at Alpha.
                        Garry

Comment

Originally posted by DSG View Post
                          However I dont know if noticed that under the promo that we are running - there is a marginal cost of only $100 for 1 user runtime when purchased as part of the Alpha Five v9 platinum+ 1 User runtime bundle which costs a total of $399 which represents a premium of only $100 over Alpha v9 platinum by itself which is $299.

I hope this is useful
                          Yes, I saw that ... hence back to my original post about being "confused". How can I use this "bundle" (with the runtime), since by the terms of the runtime licence, everytime I create a "custom app" (in this case accessibilty for my client to access the data) I must have him buy a licence for $399. Are you saying that my purchase of the runtime (for $100) gives me the right to let my client buy a runtime for $399 instead of his buying the full version (also for $399) which he could use to access the data anyway?

One of us is still missing something here.
                          Why doesn't your client just buy the full program? After that the "data" you send him can be accessed and manipulated as you see fit. Or, do you not want them to have that full access? Do you want to restrict them by way of the runtime?

Sean
                          Last edited by seaken64; 03-29-2008, 11:25 AM. Reason: Edited html quote

Comment

Sean;
                            Well, that was sort of my point ... the client would be "better off" buying the full programme, even though it would be way beyond his needs. But that is rather moot, as the reality is his company would not let him buy A5 (at least not let him load it on his PC). The client company's policy is for any software to be loaded on a PC must be "approved". So that means the data I provide him must be in MS Access or more likely in MS Excel (which is what I currently deliver). My thought had been to put a Runtime on a U3 USB thumb drive, so it would never be "installed" on his PC, but at $399 for each time, it doesn't make financial sense.

I have since spoken with Richard, explained this in more detail, and he's putting his thinking cap on.

Comment

Originally posted by DSG View Post
                              Yes, I saw that ... hence back to my original post about being "confused". How can I use this "bundle" (with the runtime), since by the terms of the runtime licence, everytime I create a "custom app" (in this case accessibilty for my client to access the data) I must have him buy a licence for $399.
                              If your client only needs one seat they'd get a per seat RT engine surely?

They'd only need the $399 single user RT license if many users had to access the same app from different workstations, just only one user at a time.

Or for a developer selling single user apps to multiple organisations.
                              Last edited by NoeticCC; 03-29-2008, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Andrea, I don't know if this is what they had in mind, but if you don't buy a runtime or run engine license it's difficult to test your multi-user application on your own network, unless you buy multiple licenses for the full version of course.

-- tom

Comment

Working...
                                X