Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Field Rules, Lookup, question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field Rules, Lookup, question.

New User, two weeks old, my first post.
    I have spent a lot of time reading the Message Board and I have learned a ton from you all. Some of my mental concepts are still corrupted from using an old DOS DBMS for the last 15 years.

My problem/question: I'm trying to define the field rule for last name in Alpha Sports salespeople table as a lookup for the record to be displayed in the form sales_people. Once the record is selected in the lookup, the form only updates the lastname and first name and sometimes the photo, but the sales_person_ID never updates on the form.

I see lots of reference to lookup records from another table, but what if you only want to use the lookup to find and select a record from the same table the form is based on? How do I set that up? or is my concept off the mark?

Thanks in advance, Steve

Re: Field Rules, Lookup, question.

The reason the Sales_Person_Id field does not change is because it is configured as an auto increment field.

I think for what you are wanting to do you should use an index lookup instead.

Open the Sales_People form. Click on "Query" on the toolbar, choose "Select Index/Query". Highlight the index called "Lastname", click "OK". This set the table so you can search on last name.

To search the table, click on "Find", choose "Find by Key". Enter the name you are looking for and then click "Find".

Hotkey
    Ctrl-I (sets index)
    Ctrl-K (Find by Key)
    Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by aws View Post
      The reason the Sales_Person_Id field does not change is because it is configured as an auto increment field.

I think for what you are wanting to do you should use an index lookup instead.

Ok, but Sales_Person_ID is also an Index, does this explude Auto Increment fields from Form Updates when looking up an existing record? If so the Sales_Person_ID number would be worthless.

Open the Sales_People form. Click on "Query" on the toolbar, choose "Select Index/Query". Highlight the index called "Lastname", click "OK". This set the table so you can search on last name.

To search the table, click on "Find", choose "Find by Key". Enter the name you are looking for and then click "Find".

Aww, but what if I don't know the last name and/or anything else that is entered in KEY fields BUT, I'd probable remember who/what I'm looking for if I saw it in a small list of available records?

You are saying I should do a "Browse" instead of a simple lookup?

Hotkey
      Ctrl-I (sets index)
      Ctrl-K (Find by Key)

Comment

Field rule lookups are designed to enter or modify a record. I.E. create a new record, perform lookup to external table, populate new record with data from the record choosen in the external table. Hence why a table rule lookup does not work in your case. When you do the lookup, you are actually changing the values in the current record.

Autoincrement field rules are configured to handle themselves. Once configured as auto increment you should leave the field alone, it will take care of its self.

From your last post it sounds like you want a "progressive lookup". That has been discussed numerous times on the board.

I do not recall mentioning anything about browse in my first response, but if you want to use a browse feel free.
        Andrew

Comment

Steve,

If I am reading your post correctly??? It sounds like you are trying to find an existing record??? Try using the find on a form/browse. Experiment a little. You can use it to bring up the record by what ever field you choose.
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Andrew, yes, my concept was off. Thank you for a better understanding of the field rule lookups. Yes, the result was that I was changing the data each time, therefor the data in the Salespeople.dbf is completely useless. At one time all sales people had the same last name.(lol)

I will learn more about when and where to rely on autoincrement fields, your warning is well taken.

I will learn about progresive lookups next and try that, too.

Thank again you for your input, I hope to repay someday.
            Steve Allen

Comment

Dave,
              Yes, I was trying to find an existing record. Once the desired record was found I wanted to update information, like address, cell phone, etc.
              It looks like I have a way to go bending my brain around to a new way of thinking.

I'll try your suggestion about "find" on form/browse.

I really appreciate your and Andrew's help.
              You guys are great!

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve.
                An app based on DOS does things the way you described. A value entered into an empty form either finds the record or starts a new one. But in Alpha a blank form is a new record. You can have this DOS kind of functionality in Alpha too, but it will take a bit of designing. I use such a field in my Employees database, where I can type in a file number and go directly to that record without changing anything in the record that is currently displayed.

The find by key dialog is pretty much the same thing and the field you want to search on can be changed by selecting a different index - which you must first define for the table.
                Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Robin,
                  I too was puzzled by forms opening populated with data rather than having to use a search or lookup to get data. Something I took for granted.

Old DOS DOG (ODDs) here (TAS 3), I'll have to learn to adjust to alternate realities. It would be nice for ODDs if Alpha would create some options compatable with old dos apps, it sure would make the learning curve shorter.

If you could brief me on how to open a form blank...sans data, we should start a new thread. I'll search for a current thread, too.

Thanks for your input, it helps to know there are others who have struggled before me.
                  Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X