Alpha Video Training

Thread: Numeric Value out of range

Real Name
    Bert Rapp

Default Numeric Value out of range

This one caught me big time but it was a crazy mistake. So just in case you get nailed by this error this is what the mistake was.
    In field rules, if a calculation is based on values that may or may not be entered during an entry, you have to prevent the calculation from happening unless it gets the needed value.
    In my case, the cost and profit of 100LL and Jet fuel was based on the retail value of the fuel. The problem was that in each record it will be one or the other or none (other things sold). What it needed was a conditional statement so that the calculation would only take place if a transaction happened for that product.
    I had checked the forum and one odd thing was that someone kept suggesting that if you have 2 decimal places you have to specify 3 in the structure to count the decimal point.
    I have never done it that way and it works fine. If I need 2 decimal places to the right of the decimal point then I specify 2.

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default Re: Numeric Value out of range

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Rapp View Post
    I had checked the forum and one odd thing was that someone kept suggesting that if you have 2 decimal places you have to specify 3 in the structure to count the decimal point.
    I have never done it that way and it works fine. If I need 2 decimal places to the right of the decimal point then I specify 2.
    I think the suggestion you mention was probably misworded.

If you need two decimal places, specify two, but don't forget that the overall defned storage width for the number must be increased by 3 to accomodate the decimal itself.

123456789 can be stored in a numeric field 9 wide, no decimal places
    123456789.01 requires a numeric field 12 wide, two decimal places

Real Name
    Bert Rapp

Default Re: Numeric Value out of range

I always allow for the decimal point in the total number of positions of a field but the posting suggesting to include it in the decimal places threw me and I did make the structure mod even though it didnt make sense to do so. I will now have to go back and reset the structure back to the original.
    In the field rules I did have the default skip active and didnt think a conditional was required in the expression. Obviously it wasnt so.
    When things go wrong, but logic says life should be normal and there are no answers, we try anything even if it doesnt make sense.