Alpha Video Training

Thread: Link Fails on Application Server but Works On Full Version of Alpha 5v8

Real Name
    Perry Williams

Default Link Fails on Application Server but Works On Full Version of Alpha 5v8

On a web page, I have a field set up that opens a new web page with google maps..

My Calculated field is called "GoogleMaps" the calculated value is:
    "http://maps.google.com/maps?near="+words(Address,1,1)+"+"+words(Address,2,1)+"+"+words(Address,3,1)+"+"+words(Address,4,1)+"+"+words(Address,5,1)+"+"+lookupc("f",Zip,"trim(city)+'+'+state+'+'+zip","zipcodeplus","Zip")

This will create a calculated value of:(sample)
    http://maps.google.com/maps?near=467...NCORD+CA+94521

I set up this field as a link, with Link value Type = "Field value is link address"
    Target Frame = "New Window"

It has worked great for months!! But just recently, it fails, and sends me to my server root address as: http://myserver/0?a5w_sessionId=blahblahblah

I have tried rebuilding the page from scratch, reinstalling application server, and other variations of linking.. but..

It always works with Full version of Alpha5v8 running on Server, but Never works with Application Server running on Server by itself.. (everything EXCEPT this type of linking still works fine!)

Like I said, this problem suddenly appeared last week, prior to that everything was working great!

help?

Perry

Real Name
    Eric

Default Re: Link Fails on Application Server but Works On Full Version of Alpha 5v8

Hello Perry,

Ironically I have been having issues with Mapquest for the last 2 weeks. I just found out they were "retooling" their site which should hopefully be resolved soon.

I have the following calc fields for Mapquest
    Mapquest = "http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?zoom=12&style=1&address="+urlencode(alltrim(Site_address))+"&city="+urlencode(alltrim(Site_city))+"&state="+urlencode(alltrim(Site_state))+"&Zip="+urlencode(alltrim(Site_zip))+"&cid=lfmaplink"
    MapquestImage = "http://www.socialserviceemployment.com/jobs/images/mapquest.gif"

Wish I could help further.
    Eric

Alpha Five Websites
    longlivepuppies.com
    socialservicenetwork.com
    -------------------------------------------------
    socialservicenetwork.org

Real Name
    Perry Williams

Default Re: Link Fails on Application Server but Works On Full Version of Alpha 5v8

Yes, I ran into URL change with Mapquest last week too, but this is not Mapquest..

The application server is ignoring the value in the field, and just sending me to the server root..

if it was google maps url, then at least the url from application server would be http://maps.google..... instead of my server root ..

Same with my links to Mapquest, Google, and YahooMaps (I have links to all 3)

All three failed at same time, and like I said, the link doesn't even take me to their sites, unless I have Full version of Alpha5v8 running on server vs Application Server

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Perry

Here is what I use and it is currently working:

Code:
    "http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr="+alltrim(gvcompadd1)+",+"+alltrim(gvcompcity)+",+"+alltrim(gvcompst)+"+"+alltrim(gvcompzip)+"&daddr="+alltrim(Woshpadd1f)+",+"+alltrim(Woshpcityf)+",+"+alltrim(Woshpstf)+"+"+alltrim(Woshpzipf)
    It is always mind boggling when something just stops working. :)

I had to alltrim the values I used as variables as I recall to make sure there were no random spaces in there messing things up.

Not sure if it will help...but thought I would pass along my method.

Jeff

Real Name
    Perry Williams

Frustrated, but I just threw Alpha Software some unearned money, and purchased another copy of Alpha 5v8 Professional, so that at least I can get some work done.. My original copy is tied up on the server to make Application server work correctly.

What a waste, I feel it MUST be something they changed..

Oh well, at least it's not Bill Gates..

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Perry

I am sure if you send a bug report to Alpha they will take care of it if they can duplicate your issue. They are VERY good about that.

Regards,

Jeff

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Depending on where your database resides, it could be this portion of your code:

lookupc("f",Zip,"trim(city)+'+'+state+'+'+zip","zipcodeplus","Zip")

On a server, normally the database is preceeded with an alias, as in "[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\zipcodeplus"

This would explain why it works with the full version, not the server only.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

"Certified" Alphaholic peteconway's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Conway

Real Name
    Perry Williams

THAT FIXED IT!!!

Steve Wood, you were right!
    Depending on where your database resides, it could be this portion of your code:
    lookupc("f",Zip,"trim(city)+'+'+state+'+'+zip","zipcodeplus","Zip")
    On a server, normally the database is preceeded with an alias, as in "[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\zipcodeplus"
    This would explain why it works with the full version, not the server only.

I changed "zipcodeplus" to "G:\blahblahpath\zipcodeplus"

And it works perfect! Thank You!

-Perry

Real Name
    Steve Wood

If it works local, not on the server, I always start looking for Alias or database issues.

--------------

In case anyone wanted to know, and I hope I come across instructive and not smug, I always start off reviewing a post by looking at the original question and ignoring every subsequent post until I have formed some thought. Only then I check to make sure I am not being redundant or my theory was blown out of the water by someone else.

I assume the problem is some small seemingly insignificant omission on the part of the programmer, because 99% of the time that's why I have a problem. If not that, perhaps the poster has not given enough information or has a fundamental misunderstanding of how something works.

I ignore subsequent threads because it is natural for people (mostly with good intentions) to take the argument in some tangential and/or non-constructive direction (like my post here). These sub-threads take over as the central issue and distract me from understanding the root cause.

And if I'm not sure about my answer, I TEST on a live copy in my office before I post (admittedly I used to be more firm on that than lately).

I also often ignore questions where I know the answer is already on the forum; I think I'm not the only one that does this. It is sad though when some new user is involved in a discussion that is leading them no where, and a complete answer is just a search away. Another Steve points this out all the time to his credit.

On the other hand, some threads are like reading a good piece of poetry -- hope, wonder, gladness, appreciation, balanced by ridicule, angst, blame and retort. Someone should write a play just using forum thread posts, it would be a hit.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)