Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Report Filter Working on Wrong Report Band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Report Filter Working on Wrong Report Band

In a report printout referencing two tables ("description" the parent and "price history" the child with a one to many relationship) I want to print each description record as a group header with the child records printed underneath. The catch is that I only want to print the most recent price_history record. See attached "Price List" report.

I have entered "top_records(1,".t.")" in the Report/Properties/Band/Detail Properties - Records tab filter expression. The intent is that if the price_history table is indexed on the date and the proper order expression is entered, then the top (or maybe the bottom) record should be the latest record.

The problem is even though this filter expression is entered into the Report/Properties/Band/Detail Properties records tab filter expression, it is performing the filtering action on the description (group reference/parent) table, not the price history (detail reference/child) table. Therefore, I get only one description printed with all children listed below rather that opposite which is what I need.

Is this the proper place to add this filter expression? Does the expression need to be changed to work on the child records?

Re: Report Filter Working on Wrong Report Band

Hi Tim,
    That's a tough one ;) What if you changed your set and based the report on the Price_History table with a 1:1 link to the Description table (if you need that data). I modified your report based just on the Price_Hist table, but it should work with a set defined like that too.

I made a calc field blankpartno = blank_duplicate(part_no), then made a conditional object in the detail based on whether that field was blank. I set the detail region and the conditional object to shrink the band. The report is sorted with invert(date) to get the last price for each part_no as the first record. And the report is grouped on Part_no but without any group header or footer.

To get the column titles to print at the top of each page add a report continuation header and copy the column titles and line there.
    Last edited by MoGrace; 04-07-2008, 02:20 PM.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Hello Robin,

Thanks a bunch for the suggestion. It works well and is basically where I was trying to get to. So, being new to Alpha5, I have to ash - How does it work? The report detail shows only one firld: cond1. How do the other fields become included? I understande the use of the calculated variable but am not quite sure how the conditional statement equalling a blank "" causes the detail to print. When you get a chance, please educate me.

Also, since I am trying to better understand Alpha5, was my original approach totally wrong or does it just not work because of some detail?

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by tjbmi View Post
        Hello Robin,

Thanks a bunch for the suggestion. It works well and is basically where I was trying to get to. So, being new to Alpha5, I have to ash - How does it work? The report detail shows only one firld: cond1. How do the other fields become included? I understande the use of the calculated variable but am not quite sure how the conditional statement equalling a blank "" causes the detail to print. When you get a chance, please educate me.

Also, since I am trying to better understand Alpha5, was my original approach totally wrong or does it just not work because of some detail?

Tim
        Hi Tim,
        The conditional object has 2 pages to it. If you right click on it you will see that one page is the default (the one where you can see the fields) and the other which is triggered by the calc field that shows no fields. If the blank_duplicate(part_no) is working then any subsequent records after the first one is fetched for that part_no, will return a blank value for the calc field blankpartno and the conditional object will switch to the page with no fields. The region properties and the conditional object properties both have shrink to band set so that the space with blanks will close up when the report prints.

When you create the conditional object, define the conditions for each page and then you can drag the fields onto the page where you want the fields to display. In this case the default page is the one for displaying the fields and so only one condition was added to give it a 2nd page.

The inverted date order in the detail section will bring up the last record as the first - if this is in fact how your most recent price is to be found. By creating a group for part_no we are in effect ordering first by part_no and then by invert(date). Which after much trial and error was the only way to get the display to work right. I added a field to your table called "keylink" to combine the 2 fields together but it wasn't much help. You can ignore it since it isn't needed. Also the test_blank variable I defined is not needed either.

If you check out the XY button on the toolbar when the report is in design mode, you will find where I defined the calculated field. One thing that was not obvious was how to define the expression in the conditional object properties using the calculated field I made. When the expression box is opened, ver7 does not offer the F5 key to select your calc fields. It does work however but you would not know it is available. I have not checked to see if ver8 offers it or not.

If you want to add the fields from the Description table, create a set where Price History is the header and Description is the 1:1 child. Then copy the Price Hist report to use the set and drag the fields you need from Description into the conditional object with the other fields.

As for why your approach did not work, it seems to me that top_records() or bottom_records() is for use by a query.
        Last edited by MoGrace; 04-08-2008, 01:57 PM.
        Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Working...
        X