Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

HELP PLEASE I want to move Alpha 5 from single pc to the server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP PLEASE I want to move Alpha 5 from single pc to the server

HELP PLEASE I'm Rick; I want to move Alpha 5 from single pc to the server if feasible can anyone help me with this . All so I am very new to this so please use as many steps as possible.

I have an old version of Alpha 5. I think the first version after 4. It was installed on a single XP Pro computer. That computer is now 1 of 8 in a sql 2003 server environment. I was wondering if there is a way to move it too the server so every one in the shop will have a working access to it. All so the best way to back up the program and the data files.

Re: HELP PLEASE I want to move Alpha 5 from single pc to the server

Originally posted by rickj View Post
    I was wondering if there is a way to move it too the server so every one in the shop will have a working access to it.
    Moving to the server won't give everyone access to it unless you have a multiple user license.

Start your current installation and check under the Help menu, About Alpha Five.
    There can be only one.

Comment

HELP PLEASE I'm Rick; I want to move Alpha 5 from single pc to the server if feasible can anyone help me with this . All so I am very new to this so please use as many steps as possible.

I have an old version of Alpha 5. I think the first version after 4. It was installed on a single XP Pro computer. That computer is now 1 of 8 in a sql 2003 server environment. I was wondering if there is a way to move it too the server so every one in the shop will have a working access to it. All so the best way to back up the program and the data files.
      Hi Rick. Welcome!

It would help if you also tell us if you are new to computers in general. New to windows? or, only new to Alpha Five?

First, you do not need to move the A5 program to the server. The A5 program files can stay where they are as long as the XP machine stays in service on the network. Moving the program from one machine to another is possible but will require the assistance of the Alpha support team to update your activation keys. Putting the data on the server will not require you to move the program files.

To move the data files to the server you need to set up a share on the server and then copy the entire data directory/folder from the current XP machine into that new share you set up on the server. There is all sorts of permission stuff that needs to be considered and if you are new to computers and Windows server you will need help from an administrator. Once the data files are on the server they can be accessed and changed by your A5 program just as if they were still on your local XP machine. You will need to tell A5 where the new data folder is and from then on A5 will work with the data in the same way it does now.

You cannot share the A5 database application with other users unless you have a multi-user license. However, other users on the server can LOOK at your data files if they have software that supports the DBF file formats used by A5. They can also import the data into their own software applications. But sharing the data in real-time will require a more sophisticated licensing scheme and probably an upgrade of your A5 program.

Sean

Comment

Thanks for getting back so fast. I am sort of new to the server part but as far as windows XP goes I am very good. Is their any place I can find a step by step way of doing this?

Comment

Thanks for getting back so fast. I am sort of new to the server part but as far as windows XP goes I am very good. Is their any place I can find a step by step way of doing this?
          Probably, but I'm not sure where to look. Try Google on MS Server Share.

First, you need administrator permission on the server. If you do not have an admin account on the server you will not be able to do anything with directory sharing.

As an Admin you can create a new folder somewhere on the server directory structure. Next, set permissions on that folder and allow it to be shared. Make sure your username on the XP machine is included in the permissions and allowed to both read and write to the folder. Allowing full access will work if you have the server otherwise protected properly.

Once the share is setup on the server side you need to move to the XP machine and attempt to connect to the newly shared folder. You will be prompted for a username and password. Enter your username and password and choose to remember these on your local XP machine so that you don't have to keep entering this info. After a successful connection you will see the contents of the server folder just as if it was a directory folder on your local hard disk.

You can now "map" this networked folder on your local computer as a drive letter. Let's say you choose to map to the "S:" drive letter. Next, copy your data folder from your XP machine to the new mapped drive, the "S: drive". You will now have a data folder on the server.

If you map the share folder to the S: drive you can then tell Alpha Five to open the data files in the "S:\database_folder" where database_folder matches whatever you named your data folder.

Note that if you do not have an admin account you can have the administrator set up the shared folder on the server. Then you can connect to it and map it on your local machine. The admin will know what to do.

Sean

Comment

Originally posted by seaken64 View Post
            Putting the data on the server will not require you to move the program files.
            This depends on how you interpret "program". I assume that you mean the "A5 Program" (Alpha5.exe, etc.) and in that case it is true. However, some people confuse the terms and call their "application" a "program".

If you only move the data to the server, then you will only have access to the data and not to the A5 application. Strictly speaking, the "data" is in the .dbf and .fpt files but most people include the .cdx (index) files as part of the "data". The other files are your "application" files (.adb, .al*, .dd*, .se*) and they must be copied along with the data files - hence the comment to "copy the entire data directory/folder". The "application" files MUST be in the same folder as your data in order to work.

Yes. I know I'm picking nits here but in some cases it will be important to distinguish between "data" and "application" files so it's a good idea to start thinking of them in those terms now.

IF you are one of those people who puts the data (and application) in the same folder as A5 itself, copying the data/application to a server can become more complicated because you really don't need to copy the A5 files to the server. (You can but there isn't any need to.)

If you (anyone reading this) have put your application in the same folder as your A5 program, consider the fact that there is a very good chance you will end up writing at least one more A5 app and the second one may want to use, for example, another "customer" table - how will you handle having two apps in one folder? What happens if you create a third app? I have about 20 different apps on my system that are currently "active" plus probably 20 more that are not currently active but I may get calls on them again. Can you imagine the difficulties and confusion that would arise if these were all to be in one folder with the A5 program!

Comment

Yes, Cal, quite right.

I meant that you do not have to move the Alpha Five Program (executables, DLL, etc.) that you originally "installed" on your XP box.

I assumed that the database "application" was in a separate folder with the data files. If the "data" and "application" are currently kept in the same folder as the A5 Program, it will not be so easy. In that case, you'll first need to back up the database and application to a new folder and then copy that new folder over to the server. Do not move the A5 Program files. Leave them on the XP box where they are already "installed" into the local Windows operating system.

Sean

Comment

Working...
              X