Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

embedded browse on form not displaying results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

embedded browse on form not displaying results

go to forms tab
    load Search form in view mode
    go to Vendor Info Tab
    Click on 4th button down on left side - Items Currently At A Vendor For A Specific Company
    Type Beverly in the prompt
    An outside browse will load showing 6 records currently at a vendor for Beverly
    close the outside browse using the close browse button on toolbar
    when returning to the search form, only serial number 0030 shows as currently at a vendor for beverly, although 2 of them are displaying as blank for 0031 and 0033
    If you look at the browse tab, I have tried several different browse options
    I have also tried using the saved browse layout on my search form

if you click on the 3rd button down on the left side, just above the one you clicked above
    you will get no matching records, this is incorrect as there should be 6 records that match the filter

Here is what I need to accomplish. When clicking the 3rd button, prompt for a company name, check the nceinvn table for matching company name and atven logical field set to true
    Then display a browse on the vendor tab displaying the 6 records with the following data:
    serial #, company and vendor names, date out and date in, atv ship #, rma, model and description

No matter how I try to create the browse, my display never shows properly

How can I add a browse to this tab to display the proper records and fields?
    Cheryl
    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
    http://pagecrazy.com/

Re: embedded browse on form not displaying results

Can't work on this right now.. too convoluted..getting several error messages.. one of them regarding the browse to open. Taking a quick look at the button onpush event:
    you are calling a UDF to open an xdlg with record list, you choose a company name and attempt to open a browse using another UDF browse() which takes 3 arguments all characters.

You supply those arguments, the first is hard-coded the other two come from query.filter and query.order.

Haven't really gotten beyond that error. It will not open the browse and indicates "different variable type"

I can't delve into this right now, but you might want to check into this: I am not sure if query.fiter & query.order are considered character variables, my guess they are pointer variables and you might have to quote them or convert them to get them to work, or change the arguments in the UDF to A instead of C but there is a road block there.
    Last edited by G Gabriel; 04-29-2008, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for looking Gabe. I am not sure why you may be getting the errors you state, possibly because you are not using V7 of Alpha. Hopefully somebody else can duplicate my steps and find a way for me to accomplish my task at hand.
      Cheryl
      #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Hi Cheryl,
        You have got a crazy invoice numbering system for sure! The Atvendor table contains only the 4 records for Beverly, which suggests that there may be a mismatch in those linking numbers somewhere...? Something is causing those 2 blank records which appear to be linked. I did see some duplicates too, but have not traced how you are adding the records into the Atvendor table.

You are also missing the variable vcgmenutitle.
        Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Hi Robin,

Thanks for looking. I know about the variable, it is correct in the working db, always tough when stripping things down. I apparently have some garbage data in my sample. I did not include the forms/functions for you to add items to the vendor table. I will take some time now to try and clean up the data and upload a revised sample.

Thanks
          Cheryl
          #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

OK I have cleaned up the data. The browse that is currently being loaded from the 2nd button is garbage. The embedded browse on the search form is also garbage. This is where my main problem is.

Problem 1) When searching all items ever at a vendor for Beverly, I am getting the error that there are no matching records, when there should be some records. (As I think outloud while posting this thread, my filter is incorrect. I am asking for the atven to be .t. which would be wrong. Once a piece is returned from a vendor, this field will be marked as .f.) So my filter needs to be changed to check for the company name Beverly in the atvendor table.

Now I will need to retrieve the unique inv_id values from that search in the atvendor table and refresh my search form filtered on those inv_id values. I am guessing I need to do this because a .basequeryrun can only be filtered on the parent table and not a child table.

Problem 2) I am not sure how to properly create the browse on the vendor tab of the search form to display the records with the fields desired.

Problem 3) When searching for items currently at a vendor for Beverly, my filter would need to be on the company field in the atvendor table and the date_in field being blank in the atvendor table.

The outside browse that I am loading is garbage. I am not sure how to create that browse so that it displays the proper records.

I cleaned out the atvendor and nceinvn records some more so hopefully I did not leave any additional garbage data.
            Cheryl
            #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Cheryl,
              I have been looking at your issue. I haven't uncovered the problem, but I rebuilt the browse with only company name and serial_num, and it seems to be working.
              Mike W

Comment

Hi Mike,

Which browse, the one on the search form or the stand alone browse? Did you use the company name and serial number from the nceinvn table or the atvendor table?

Let me summarize, hopefully in english, what I need to accomplish. What I currently have tried in my buttons onPush event really don't matter as all attempts have been garbage.

First search
                1) I need to locate all records in the atvendor table for a specific company.
                2) I need to then refresh my search form to display the proper parent records and then display the related child records in a browse on the search form.

Second search
                1) I need tolocate all records in the atvendor table for a specific company that have not been returned yet. These would have the date_in field blank.
                2) I need to then refresh my search form to display the proper parent records and then display the related child records in a browse on the search form.

For both searches, I need to be able to load an outside stand alone browse that is separate from the search form.

Theoretically, the browse on the search form and the stand alone browse should be the same.

Thanks
                Cheryl
                #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Hi Cheryl,
                  I rebuilt the search form embedded browse. But it is something more than that. Last night I recognized that the action of checking for matching records with your matching_records() UDF was dominating, so I removed that pulled that forward so the A5_get_records_in_query() was within the button script and used the same filter variable as the base query, and that seemed to make a difference for the button 3 (All Items Ever At A Vendor For A Specific Company). Don't quite understand why.

Code:
                  [COLOR="Blue"]'Check for matching records[/COLOR]
                  'matching_records( "nceinvn", "(Company = Var->vcgCompanySrch) .and. (nceinvn->Atven=.T.)" )
                  dim query.filter as C
                  query.filter = "(( Var->vcgCompanySrch $ Company ) )  .and. (Atven = .t.  )"
                  if a5_get_records_in_query("nceinvn",query.filter) = 0
                  	this.Enable()					'enable the button
                  	parentform:browse2.refresh()	' refresh browse
                  	END'    '<============== script ends here
                  END IF
                  Mike W

Comment

That is strange Mike, but glad you found it. That portion of the code should now look like:

Code:
                    'Check for matching records
                    'matching_records( "atvendor", "Company = Var->vcgCompanySrch" )

dim company_filter as C
                    company_filter = "Company = Var->vcgCompanySrch"
                    if a5_get_records_in_query("atvendor",company_filter) = 0
                        this.Enable()                    'enable the button
                        parentform:browse2.refresh()    ' refresh browse
                        END'    '<============== script ends here
                    END IF
                    Note the difference in above is using the atvendor table and only looking for the company name match. This would be the correct filter as I noticed that portion was incorrect yesterday :(

My next step would be to somehow go through the atvendor table for all records matching the company name and retrieve unique inv_id values for each of those records.

I would then need to use those unique inv_id values as a filter to somehow re-display my search form with those matching records from the parent table. This should also result in the browse displaying the proper child records with the field data from the atvendor table.

I am thinking that perhaps opening the atvendor table filtered by the company name, fetch the first record, retrieve the inv_id value and place it in an array and go to the next record.

Once the array is built then open the set, retrieve unique inv_id values in the array, and use them as the filter for the set based form?
                    Cheryl
                    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Cheryl,
                      Couldn't you have a field in the table to mark a record, open the atvendor table to the company name and mark the records, and then open the set form filtered for marked records? Otherwise, table.external_record_content_get() should get you the array in one function if you proceed that route.
                      Mike W

Comment

Hi Mike,

I ended up following your suggestion and adding a logical field to my parent table. I pulled the inv_id value from all matching records in the atvendor table and marked those records in the parent table to refresh my master set form with.

As far as the browse is concerned, although some will say it is not the best design, I chose to add multiple instances of my atvendor table linking by the company field in one and the vendor field in another. I then added a conditional object on my master set form to display the different browses based on the search selected by the user.

This master set form and browses are for read only purposes and I do not expect them used often, so I do not foresee any complications. I have also allowed a means for the user to open a stand alone browse if they choose to display the search results that they can edit with.

Thanks to all for suggestions and assistance.
                        Cheryl
                        #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Working...
                        X