Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Import from a .DAT file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Import from a .DAT file

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
    i simply converted the spaces(2 or more) to commas and then eliminated the commas to 1 comma. It was fast and rude and could be better done.
    That approach would be fine but it seems there would be issues with fields that themselves contain spaces which would get converted to commas and fields that themselves contain commas.

RIO INVESTMENTS, LLC
    BACK TO HEALTH OF THE PALM BEACHES, INC.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Correct Stan,

it would take a bit more work. but the idea that there were 6 spaces between fields kinda went haywire(or I read that wrong).
      I think the idea was the inconsistency of the data and fields may be a problem. I am trying some other stuff.

If the records have 6 spaces between fields, it would look something like this. i inserted 0's for a field taking the place of 2 spaces.

P07000000010STEVEN GROSSBARD, P.A., 00,, 00, ADOMP, 00, 44 WEST FLAGLER STREET, 00,, 00, 2100, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00, MIAMI, 00,, 00, FL33130 US01012007, 00, N FL, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00, GROSSBARD, 00, STEVEN, 00,ESQ. P44 WEST FLAGLER STREET, 00,, 00, MIAMI, 00,, 00, FL33130 P PGROSSBARD, 00, STEVEN, 00, 44 WEST FLAGLER STREET, #2100, 00, MIAMI, 00,, 00, FL33130, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,, 00,
      It would take about 8-10 passes to get this to uniform sizes using word. i think word can handle the file. Probably 1/2 day to get it good enough to import nicely. Or get close and let alpha handle it with some operations.
      Last edited by DaveM; 05-01-2008, 02:38 PM.
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Done.

Comment

Stan, Doug, Mike, Ray, Dave and of course Gabe,

Thank you all for looking at this and offering your experience, observations, suggestions and examples.

I think I'm making some forward progress. I am now able to import the .dat file directly into Alpha 5. The formatting is off (a.k.a.) Alpha is not placing all of the data into the appropriate fields, but at least Apha can now see the data.

Gabe, you seem to have the data in the right fields (I'm assuming you used the Substr() function to extract the data into the correct fields. Whichever method you used, I would really appreciate it if you share the method you used. I will note, the file you did this with is just a sampling of the real data. the actual .dat file is in excess of 500 MB and there are 10 of these files.

Again thank you all for your time and effort!

Louis

Comment

Louis:
            The whole process took few seconds.. it's easier to do than explain, you could either:
            1-zip all your files, I will import them and zip them back, or
            2-I could attach a video showing how it's done.
            Typing is not something I like to do..
            Last edited by G Gabriel; 05-01-2008, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Gabe,

In the interest of learning how to do this for myself, I would prefer the video. Thank you very much for offering.

If you would like to just show me live online, I have a LogMe In Rescue account we could use so I can observe what you are doing.

I am sending additional contact info in a private message.

Thanks,

Louis

Comment

I have a LogMe In Rescue account
                Never used it before.. how do I log in?

Comment

Go to www.logmein123.com

Enter pin code 472392

Select Run

Select Run Again

Say Yes when it says that a technician wished to connect.

There is a built-in chat client we can use as well

Louis

Comment

Gabe,

For the sake of this thread and the others like me who would like to see what you've done, could you post something here?

Thanks

Comment

Definitely..I am just not sure if I can load the video.. I am working on it..give me a few.

Comment

In the attached video, I am showing how to create wk3 file from the DAT file. Beyond that, it's just a matter of importing the wk3 into alpha (didn't want to waste any video on that being a very simple straight forward matter).
                        Sorry.. the video will not upload being a little too big.. I will break it down into smaller ones.

OK..
                        here it is broken down into 3 smaller videos.
                        Last edited by G Gabriel; 05-01-2008, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks G,

Maybe I'm just a bit too naive/ignorant but what is the advantage to doing what you did in excel compared to just using the Alpha import operation of an ascii file??--looked to be the same manipulation I used when I did it but maybe not as the video, at least for me, was not very clear (needed to be magnified I guess). Unless some fields maybe needed to be changed into a different type??
                          Mike

Comment

Gabe,

I like the tricks you used, but I think that Mike is right - the result would be the same. For both methods I have some reservations as we are talking about a 550 MB file - 470,000+ rows of data!

Comment

I like the tricks you used, but I think that Mike is right - the result would be the same.
                              That's a negative.

ASCI will not work here. With ASCI, you need to tell alpha what is the delimiter. The delimiter here is a space, that won't work since the names, the companies' names and other fields all have spaces in them so if you use the space as a delimiter you will end up with a field for each word.

The way I did it is sort of "manually " put the delimiter where I want it hence you have the street address (which has several words) in one field, the company name (again with multiple words separated by spaces) all in one field and so on.

Do I have to explainthe joke? It is not funny anymore when you explain it!

Try to import it as ASCI and see wht happens.
                              Last edited by G Gabriel; 05-01-2008, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Hi Louis,

Do you realize that Alpha can read in and process any file, binary or text, as a blob (could be all at once, or portions at a time) and parse/process it. It won't normally be as fast as a built-in import primitive, but could be fast enough depending upon format.
                                Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                                Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                                New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                                CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                                CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Working...
                                X