Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

QuickBooks 2008 and QRB in 2 separate locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QuickBooks 2008 and QRB in 2 separate locations

We have the newest versions of both QReportBuilder and QuickBooks 2008 up and running in two separate locations. I am designing the reports and the other location is using them. We have a report that works in my location but not at the other. I send it to him and he gets the same report file up and running on the same QB data and it gets wrong results in the report.

The last time his most recent QB data was giving wrong results on the report, he sent the QB file to me, I refreshed QRB on the new data, ran the report and it worked correctly here, then I sent the same data back to him (his original QB file after it had been linked to and refreshed in QRB) and the report worked on his end. However, the next time he ran it - about a week later with some new data - it did not work.

We have run the utilities on the QB database and we both get no errors. I think there is something wrong with the way QRB is set up on his end, but I cannot see what it would be.

Does this make sense? I am confident the report works because it works every time on whatever data I give it on my end. I have zipped the set and sent it to him more than once and we are sure we are accessing the same set and report, yet it gets bad results at his end.

Any ideas?

Re: QuickBooks 2008 and QRB in 2 separate locations

Howard

I have no idea what 'wrong results' and 'bad results' means ....
    other than there different results - sometimes...

So I can't offer an opinion of how to fix it.

The devil's in the details and you'll need to figure out how to share them with us so we can help.

Privacy of data and sharing of information can be an issue.

Can you make the 'results' happen with a sample QB company file and then share that with us?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Bad results or wrong results just mean in terms of the report. We know what the results should be and I get them from the setup at one location but not the other. I guess this questions is not about the report per se but about what kind of issue might cause different results from the same set in the different locations. Is it possible that the data is not loading properly into QReportBuilder? Would a fresh install change anything do you think?

I am not avoiding getting into the report details here. It has to do with the balance forward field in the report getting different totals from some tables. The solution to the problem lies in the data itself - the report works fine. Somehow the database is not accepting the new data or there is something we are doing when we access QuickBooks that is different.

I am probably going to have to try reinstalling unless you can think of something.

Comment

Howard, Al,
        Could it be that there is something outside of the report on your QRB that filters say the data or connects to QB outside of the report that the other PC does not have? Which, if the case, sending just the report to the other PC would not produce the same results (would have to some way use the entire QRB folder or at least the dictionaries that relate to the table(s) in question). To me, this sure sounds like it as when Howard refreshes the data and sends it to the other PC it produces the correct results but the other PC cannot do so as it is missing relavant filters/refresh criteria/etc...

???? Just a simplistic guess on my part.
        Mike

Comment

Thanks for the response. When I zip the set, it is supposed to include all of the relevant tables as well as the report. The QuickBooks file I am using is the exact same file as at the other end, so the data in the tables, when refreshed or even if it is not refreshed, should be identical.

The only difference in the whole set up - I thought of this later - is that I am using Windows Vista and the other computer uses Windows XP. I don't know why this might make a difference as the programs are both designed to work in Vista and XP. Is it possible the SQL database that QRB is built upon is different for Vista?

Again, we will get incorrect results on the report when it is run on the XP computer with the exact same QB file, if we bring that QB file to the Vista computer it gets good results, send that QRB set and QB file back to the XP computer and the results from the report are correct, but after a week or so they go back to being incorrect.

Comment

I understand that there are 2 machines - one XP,the other VISTA.

I would check that the versions of each of these components are the same..

1. QODBC - version
            2. QReportBuilder - build numbers
            3. QuickBooks - version and build

Since you can move the set from machine to machine and get the same results, does that mean that you are not refreshing the data from the QB company file on each machine? Or since the 'results' change after a week, is that when a refresh is done or when new data is entered into the QB company file?

If you refresh the data on each machine, does the underlying table have the same data on each machine?

Is there another process that runs to provide data to the report that is not included in the set?

Do you have another XP machine to try this with? You really shouldn't be getting different results by changing the operating system. But you may have a machine that has it's own set of issues. I have a couple of those machines myself. They have numerous issues with multiple software products that have no relationship to Alpha 5, QRB, QODBC, or QuickBooks.

If you want to contact me directly, I'll take a look at your system and see if I can see something. Send a private message/email via this messageboard...
            Al Buchholz
            Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
            Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
            When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Hello again. It took a while to get the other user to do this, but we did a fresh installation of QReportBuilder. There is no doubt we are using the same versions of Quick Books, QReportBuilder 8 and QODBC. I sent him the set that includes the reports and he sent me the most recent QB file. We are still having the same problem which is that his reports (on the XP machine) are not giving the correct results where mine (on the Vista) machine are working perfectly.

However, we came across something that may be a clue and I need some help. A difference we came across is that after he unzips the set I send to him, he has only one possible project - default. I have two projects and default is not the one that contains the reports that work. What is the relationship of the project to QRB? Is it possible to create a new Project and direct it to the unzipped files I sent to him? We cannot see how to do this. We think this could be the problem - either we are not correctly locating the good data once extracted or we need to create another project out of the set I am sending to him.

When I send him the set, he extracts it to a new folder. Then we add the set to QRB (File:Add Table/Set), create a path to the extracted set (new folder), then add all of the files that appear on the left hand side of the screen (i.e., move them to the right). The reports I have created then appear in the Control Panel under the Reports tab. We think this is all we need to do but they do not work properly for him, whereas they work correctly for me even when I use QRB on the most recent QB file that he just sent to me that is the exact same file he is accessing with QRB.

The only thing different - again - is the location of the files and this Project thing that we came across if you close the current screen without closing QRB. To open it again you need to go to File:Open Project and I have two to choose from where he has only one - default. Is there anything to this?

Comment

Originally posted by hsjeck View Post
                Is there anything to this?
                I don't think so.

You may want to use the export report definition and then import the report definition on the target system. But I don't think it has anything to do with the results issue.

Why don't you stop in on the webinar tomorrow and let's take a look at it. Be prepared for me to assign you as the presenter and we'll see what is happening..
                Al Buchholz
                Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                Albert Einstein

Comment

Al,

I would like to get in on the Webinar. I tried to follow the link you sent me but it returns an error. What time is the Webinar? I am out of the office until late afternoon EST.

You can contact me directly at [email protected].

Comment

The webinar is at 9 Central.

What error did you get from the link?

What about this link?

http://qreportbuilder.com/webinars.html
                    Al Buchholz
                    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                    X