Alpha Video Training

Thread: Newbie Question Regarding Dropdown boxes

Real Name
    Chris

Default Newbie Question Regarding Dropdown boxes

I am complety new to A5. I can say from what I have done and seen so far I am impressed. To think I haven't even scratched the surface yet....

My issue at hand is in building a simple web application. I have built the structure to enter and retrieve data from a SQL database. My issue is that I want a dropdown to populate based on a previous dropdown. I have tried everything I though of ad cannot figure it out. The data would come from the sql server for each dropdown. My first dropdown would be division, which would list all divisions of my company. The second would be region, which I wouldonly want the regions that exist in the division selected to appear as choices and so on. Is there an easy way to accomplish this without being an A5 master?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default Re: Newbie Question Regarding Dropdown boxes

Not sure which type of dropdown you are using but I believe they all have the provision to use a filter expression. Your filter expression should refer to the previously selected value in the other dropdown.

Try a search for "progressive" as well. Your desired result is sometimes referred to as a progressive lookup.

Real Name
    Chris

Thank you for the advice. It is apparant I need to further clarify. I am trying to build dropdowns in the grid view thst are dependant on other dropdowns. I tried to use a filter expression, but I get a dialog box telling me parameter mapping is not permitted.

"Certified" Alphaholic NoeticCC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Andrea Gill

Quote Originally Posted by cbroadh View Post
    Thank you for the advice. It is apparant I need to further clarify. I am trying to build dropdowns in the grid view thst are dependant on other dropdowns. I tried to use a filter expression, but I get a dialog box telling me parameter mapping is not permitted.
    That's right, you can only use parameter mapping in dialogs on the web, not in grids. Try posting in the web application server section for more appropriate answers, the desktop section works differently for dropdowns etc. What are you trying to do, eactly?

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by NoeticCC View Post
    That's right, you can only use parameter mapping in dialogs on the web, not in grids. Try posting in the web application server section for more appropriate answers, the desktop section works differently for dropdowns etc. What are you trying to do, eactly?
    Thank you. I am building a web application that allows a field user to enter a repair order. My corporate users then need the ability to go in, edit the orders, and mark them as approved. I am using the grid view as the way for the corporate users to edit as it would be cumbersome to drill into every form to make the changes. I am looking to use the progressive style dropdown for division, region, district, area, location as there are about 10,000 locations.

"Certified" Alphaholic NoeticCC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Andrea Gill

Quote Originally Posted by cbroadh View Post
    Thank you. I am building a web application that allows a field user to enter a repair order. My corporate users then need the ability to go in, edit the orders, and mark them as approved. I am using the grid view as the way for the corporate users to edit as it would be cumbersome to drill into every form to make the changes. I am looking to use the progressive style dropdown for division, region, district, area, location as there are about 10,000 locations.
    As far as I know you'd either have to use a dialog for data entry, OR have a look into AJAX to populate text boxes in a grid. (The latter may be a bit much if you're just starting out, but they are working on helpers and "genies" to make this easier)

If you read through the web help files (Help > Open Help > Web Help) or the Web App Samples that ship with Alpha 5, you might get some more ideas - a big problem for newbies with A5 is that we tend to want to do everything the way we are used to from other apps/development environments, and sometimes that is not the right easiest way. Depending on your needs, using a Lookup (in the grid field or search field properties, for text boxes there is a "Lookup" section) may well be suitable too.