Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Five V9 vs. Ruby on Rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha Five V9 vs. Ruby on Rails

Good evening -
    Has anyone developed web apps using both tools? If so, is there anything that RoR can do that Alpha cannot (either out of the box or through xBasic)?
    Thanks in advance for your time.
    Andrew

Re: Alpha Five V9 vs. Ruby on Rails

I have not had more than passing experience with ROR
    I have however put A5 V9 under the microscope re Ajax and Web features

Check this link which shows an A5 Ajax app I am currently building
    http://www.a1software.net/video/A1ResOverview.htm

Unless I was a game/graphics developer I cant really see any limitations with using A5 to code any modern real-world end user apps.
    Mike Thomson

Comment

Thank you for sharing Mike -- looks like a very responsive app. If it wasn't for the browser, I would have had a hard time knowing it was a web vs. desktop app.

Great job!

Andrew

Comment

nice work Mike!

if you like we can host this video on one of servers in Burlington MA

thanks
        Richard Rabins
        Co Chairman
        Alpha Software

Comment

That looks awesome, I would definetly like to see the code behind that, that is even better than an application developed in A5 for the desktop, notice how he extends the bars by dragging the edge. I think that is not posible to do on the desktop using A5 (maybe using the new embedded html form feature)
          Cheers
          Mauricio

Comment

In fact you could implement drag & drop & resize using the desktop model however you would still have to use Javascript and the embedded browser control.

Although I a fan of the desktop I now wonder (with Ajax libraries) - why I would bother.
            Mike Thomson

Comment

That is beyond AWESOME Mike! Very Cool!

Comment

Congratulations Mike!

The drag and drop and resize is just awesome.

I hope that you and/or Alpha will provide details of how this was done as I think many users are keen to use this type of functionality.

Garry

Comment

I pasted this from the reply to another post
                  To all - FYI

I have agreed with Richard to do a small set of Ajax video tutorials. I don't expect they will be step by step but hopefully for those of you prepared to put in the yards re A5 & Javascript they will point you in the right direction.

Details will be advised, however since I don't get paid directly for this service please do not hassle me re time frame etc.
                  Mike Thomson

Comment

For anyone interested in the drag & drop side, this page has a free JS & DHTML library that does marvellous things with drag & drop: http://www.walterzorn.com/dragdrop/dragdrop_e.htm

I implemented a pretty nifty demo with this a long while ago but it was never used, incidentally the library has just been updated this month after about 2 years since I last used it... will have to have a look again, perhaps this time round I will actually understand some of the JavaScript ! Plus, in combination witht he A5 JavaScript libraries this is possible, since it was addressing the individual elements that was the major pain last time!

Comment

Agree, FYI - I use www.walterzorn.com and create one drag drop layer which I then size to each cell for each mouseover event based on cell offset values
                      Mike Thomson

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Thomson View Post
                        Agree, FYI - I use www.walterzorn.com and create one drag drop layer which I then size to each cell for each mouseover event based on cell offset values
                        LOL so there is only the one source for ace D&D scripts in JS then ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by achung View Post
                          Good evening -
                          Has anyone developed web apps using both tools? If so, is there anything that RoR can do that Alpha cannot (either out of the box or through xBasic)?
                          Thanks in advance for your time.
                          Andrew
                          Both are able to do more than most people will ever need. The downside of RoR is the learning curve and development time, the upside, it's free and there are a lot of reference books available. The biggest downside I saw with A5 was the limited hosting options. However, since you can run it on a VPS, that issue has pretty much gone away.

BTW- I don't claim to be a RoR expert but I did teach myself to use it enough to be able to make a fair comparison with A5. I as able to do that by ordering some books off of Amazon.com. There is a ton of stuff about Ruby. I hope the same will be true for A5 someday.
                          Tommy Thompson
                          Thompson Consulting Services
                          Beautiful Kentucky Lake, Springville, TN 38256
                          [email protected]

Comment

I'm a huge Alpha Five fan and I've also been studying and developing web applications with Ruby on Rails (RoR) for the past year. After studying the Ruby language, I decided I HAD to give RoR a chance because in my mind, Ruby represents the most elegant and simple object oriented language that I've seen. I've never been a big fan of Basic, and much prefer Pascal or C. This is simply a personal preference.

Here's my take on the two.

When building custom web applications for small business or targeted applications for any customer, you can't beat Alpha Five for it's ease of installation, relatively short learning curve and rapid web application development. If you stick to development with components (grids, etc), use the A5 security framework and fantastic report generator you can build some amazing stuff really fast. Customers love this. When you feel comfortable with this level of web development, then it's time to dig into Xbasic and push into Ajax development. Here you'll need to get up to speed with CSS and Javascript to really get your apps to look and act the way you want. The thing that's cool is that you can do this over time and gain confidence as you go. The development and learning process is rather linear. While the use of components is unique, the actual development cycle utilizes a familiar style, assuming you've previously programmed in any of the procedural languages like Basic, Pascal, C, etc.

With RoR you're buying into a whole new development paradigm and it has taken me quite some time to "think" in this new development environment. There is a LOT of ground to cover here and the learning curve is much steeper than Alpha Five's.

I became interested in Rails after using Basecamp (a simple project management web app) from 37signals.com, which was written in RoR. It turns out, 37 Signals actually developed Rails for Basecamp. I was impressed with the applications ease of use, interface and scalability. I'd like to eventually use a Rails backend tied to a Flash/Flex or Adobe Air front end for an application I have in mind and that has been my primary motivation in pushing forward and learning Rails.

RoR utilizes the Model, View, Controller (MVC) architecture which isolates business logic and database abstraction (Model) from the user interface (View). The controller handles communication between the model and the view. This separation allows you to modify one area without affecting the other. It makes your programs easier to modify and test. It forces you to follow a proven development pattern that scales well when dealing with multiple programmers.

The Rails framework is open source, it's free and available for development on both the Mac and the PC. It has a huge worldwide community with many books, tutorials, plug-ins, etc. That said, be advised that mastering Rails is not a casual endeavor.

If you are interested in studying Rails, I suggest you look at the following website for installation guides and some excellent tutorials and podcasts : http://www.buildingwebapps.com/topic/5-ruby-on-rails

You can't go wrong learning to use Alpha Five for web development. It is the fastest and the most fun web development tool I've found. For a lot of small business web applications, it is probably the best tool to use (most bang for the buck). Everything you learn with Alpha will help you should you decide to look into other web technologies. It provides an excellent foundation for you to build on.
                            Bob Moore

Comment

Thanks Bob - A useful summation.

I think one of the key differences is that Alpha Five has its own web server which is of particular interests for people (like me) who want to develop a single application for both desktop and internet use.

With Ajax now in the fold there is little that cannot be done via the web development model at desktop speeds - so this difference is no longer material.

With the coming event of clustered server, existing VPS support and perhaps a PHP model to come it is perhaps the most self-contained scalable development system for the web on the market today.
                              Mike Thomson

Comment

Working...
                              X