Alpha Video Training

Thread: Web Security and Subfolders

Real Name
    Nathan Zeiset

Default Web Security and Subfolders

It seems like I must be missing something simple here, but I've spent enough time looking for it. I've just enabled web security for our site, but now most of the site is unavailable (403 Forbidden) (testing on my local computer). I get this error whenever I try to access pages that are in subfolders. How do I change the page security settings for pages that are in subfolders? The only pages listed in the Page Security Assignment dialog are those in my web root.

Nathan

Real Name
    Eric

Default Re: Web Security and Subfolders

Hello Nathan,
    If this is the first time you enabled security, your files (pages) are probably in the “Always Denied” column which would give you this error when trying to access them.

Click “Web Security” then “Page Security.” Your Page Security Assignment will then come up. Are the pages in question in the “Always Denied” column? If so, you need to assign the security you desire to the pages. This will move the page(s) to either “Always Allowed” or “Login Required,” depending on what you choose.

Click a page in the “Always Denied” column, then “Move.” Decide if you want the page to be “Always Allowed” or some login required.

If you click, “Move Selected to Login Required,” The Permissions box is then displayed. Click the desired checkboxe(s) for the security you wish this page to have.

If you make a mistake and give the wrong permissions, you can always change it. I recommend doing this one page at a time instead of moving all at once.

Hope this helps.
    Eric

Alpha Five Websites
    longlivepuppies.com
    socialservicenetwork.com
    -------------------------------------------------
    socialservicenetwork.org

Real Name
    Nathan Zeiset

Eric,

Thanks for your response. I am already aware that the pages need to be in the appropriate column. However, I have around a thousand pages in our site, so I have them organized in subfolders. None of the pages that are in the subfolders appear in any of the columns in the Page Security Assignment window, so I have no idea how to assign the appropriate security settings to them.

Nathan

Real Name
    Eric

Sorry. Now that I've read your initial post again, I see you were asking about subdirectories. Can you see your a5w pages in the Control Panel? See pic.
    Last edited by EricN; 05-19-2008 at 02:46 PM.
    Eric

Alpha Five Websites
    longlivepuppies.com
    socialservicenetwork.com
    socialservicenetwork.org

Real Name
    Nathan Zeiset

Yes, I can see the subdirectories in the Web Projects Control Panel, and when I open the subdirectories, I can see the files inside of them. However, when I right-click on a subdirectory or a file inside of a subdirectory, the Page Security option is not included at the bottom of the pop-up menu. The option only appears when I right-click on the files in the project's root directory.

Nathan
    Last edited by Nathan Zeiset; 05-19-2008 at 02:49 PM.

Real Name
    Eric

Hmmm...I created a sub-directory and pasted a a5w file (page) in there and tested. You are correct. I'm at a loss at the moment. May be time for a guru.
    Eric

Alpha Five Websites
    longlivepuppies.com
    socialservicenetwork.com
    socialservicenetwork.org

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

The web security in Alpha Five Version 8 does not support setting permissions on pages in subfolders. This was added to Alpha Five Version 9. In version 9, you can set permissions by page, by complete folder, by page in a folder, and by file extension in a folder. Permissions can be denied, allowed, or require login.

Real Name
    Nathan Zeiset

Thanks for your response, Jerry. Is there a way in version 8 to use web security in the project's root folder without it affecting the subfolders? I really don't need the web security functions in the subfolders. I only need it for a few pages in the root folder. I'd be happy to let users have free access to the pages in the subfolders. It seems rather strange to me that the security framework automatically denies access to files in subfolders even while it appears to ignore them.

Nathan

Real Name
    Steve Wood

If each subfolder is a seperate A5 project, each with unique security files (the GUID security file), then will look at the folder for its security. So, even if a subfolder has NO security, you would need to publish from a unique project to that folder. What is required is that the guid value is different for each project/folder; you cannot just copy that file in to each project folder.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Nathan Zeiset

Thank you, Steve, that worked! I finally got around to trying your suggestion after being sidetracked for awhile.

To clarify for others reading this thread: I simply created a new project for each subfolder, and then in each project's profile, I entered the path to the subfolder as the Target Folder, and then published the security files. Before I could publish, I had to open the Web Security Configuration and then click OK (I didn't check the Security Active box) before it would allow me to publish. It seems to be working fine on my local computer, but I didn't try it on my active site yet.

Thanks again!
    Nathan