Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Drop down boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drop down boxes

Is there a way to display more than just one column in the drop down list so the user has more info about the choice they are about to select, then once they select it, only fill the field with a value form just one field.

For example, when the user clicks on the drop down box arrow for the name field, I want the list to show:

Name+" "+socsecnum

Now, when they select an entry, say "Smith, John 089-53-4153", the drop down should fill the field with just "Smith, John". Right now, I get the field filling with the entire selection.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gary
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Re: Drop down boxes

Assuming you are using a SQL database as the source, try this:

SELECT DISTINCT YOUR_DISPLAY_VALUE_OR_EXPRESSION, YOUR_SAVED_FIELD FROM TABLENAME

Comment

Good morning!

I am not using SQL - I am using the dbf files.

Does that matter for this issue?

Gary
      Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Originally posted by drgarytraub View Post
        Good morning!

I am not using SQL - I am using the dbf files.

Does that matter for this issue?

Gary
        Yep cos it's much more straightforward in dbf files if you're used to them...

Just use the expression you described in the DISPLAY value field and use the part of it that you want to actually remember inthe STORED value field.

For non-dbf/SQL sources/static you use displayexpression + "|" + storexpression

Comment

what i do for this kind of situation is:

in the field to display I put something like:
          alltrim(Field1)+" - "+alltrim(Field2)+" - "+ alltrim(Field3) '[the " - " are just separators].

in the store value just put the field that you want to store (obviously) like:
          Field1
          Cheers
          Mauricio

Comment

Andrea and Mauricio,

Thanks for your input.

Gary
            Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

I recall that someone had said that java script could be used to cause a drop down automatically fill in multiple fields.I tried searching the board but no luck.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Gary
              Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

I recall that someone had said that java script could be used to cause a drop down automatically fill in multiple fields.I tried searching the board but no luck.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Gary
                Google onchange and Javascript

Comment

Hi Andrea,

I will (and have) googled, and I will study it more.

One question I have though centers around how to get access to the fields with java script since the fields are not visible in the html of the page, but in a component.

Would the java script go in the html tab of the component? the xbasic tab of the coponent?

Thanks for any help.

Gary
                  Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Hi Gary

perhaps you have forgotten this post

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...light=onchange

the only difference is that when you build the dropdown
                    you will display the multiple fields and hide the single value that you want to use
                    which is exactly the opposite of what you wanted to do in post 70950

hth
                    regards

martin
                    www.jollygreenthumb.com

Comment

Hi Martin,

Thanks so much for responding to this. I understand the use of the tilda as the separator.

Where do you put the code? Does it go in the a5w page, or in the html tab of the component?

Thanks!

Gary
                      Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Hi Andrea,

I will (and have) googled, and I will study it more.

One question I have though centers around how to get access to the fields with java script since the fields are not visible in the html of the page, but in a component.

Would the java script go in the html tab of the component? the xbasic tab of the coponent?

Thanks for any help.

Gary
                        I probably should have asked about the context first...

No, you can't edit the HTML and Xbasic tabs of components. It's frustrating initially, because it's counter-intuitive if you have worked with WYSIWYG HTML editors before, but there you go. What you can do though is make a field in a grid freeform, and THEN you can edit bits of the HTML - however you still can't add onChange events etc to fields (it would be nice if there was a Javascript field in the field definitions for grids, where you can write your own JS event code), so you either have to add the whole dropdown box in a freeform part of the grid component (you can find out what the names of these fields, usually gridname.fieldname, by looking at the HTML tab in the component builder).

In a dialog you can use the calculated field expressions to achieve this effect, if you study the full HTML output (view the page in a browser and select View > Source) of a dialog that does what you want it to do, this may help too? http://www.charlesworth.biz/CB/test.a5w

The easiest way to do this, at least it seems that way to me if you find the time to tinker with the samples provided by Alpha, is with AJAX though, as that lets you populate dropdowns with Xbasic rather than Javascript.

http://www.charlesworth.biz/WAS/AJAX...Lookup_DBF.a5w

Comment

Andrea,

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me in so much detail. I am beginning to understand a bit more.

I have several questions.

First, in looking at both links that you provided (and thank you very much!), it seems that the JavaScript version of the drop down multi-field fill in works MUCH faster than the AJAX version. The AJAX version is acceptably quick, but has a short noticeable delay, while the JavaScript dropdown fills in instantaneously. This alone would make me want to use JavaScript for this situation. Am i correct with this? Is the JavaScript faster for this situation on your machine too??

Second, do the drop down choices have to be hard coded, and therefore fixed, or is there a way to dynamically populate it? (or does this relate to your recommendation to use AJAX, i.e., is AJAX necessary to make it dynamically fill with data from the server?)

Thanks Andrea!

Gary
                          Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

First, in looking at both links that you provided (and thank you very much!), it seems that the JavaScript version of the drop down multi-field fill in works MUCH faster than the AJAX version. The AJAX version is acceptably quick, but has a short noticeable delay, while the JavaScript dropdown fills in instantaneously. This alone would make me want to use JavaScript for this situation. Am i correct with this? Is the JavaScript faster for this situation on your machine too??
                            The J in AJAX stands for Javascript...

The difference in the samples is largely that my Javascript example uses values that are in the page after it is loaded to populate the 2 text boxes, whereas the AJAX sample actually retrieves the record from the dbf files and then populates the boxes.

Which you prefer depends largely on whether you mind the whole contents of your table that populates the dropdown to be visible in the HTML page source or not.

Second, do the drop down choices have to be hard coded, and therefore fixed, or is there a way to dynamically populate it? (or does this relate to your recommendation to use AJAX, i.e., is AJAX necessary to make it dynamically fill with data from the server?
                            Both can be dynamically populated, if you look at the source code for the AJAX sample (also provided in the sample databases in your copy of Alpha5), you will see the Xbasic used to populate this dropdown.

Code:
                            <%a5

dim dbf_folder as c 
                            dbf_folder = _A5_Aliases.get("PathAlias.ADB_Path")
                            DIM tableFilename as c 
                            tableFilename = a5_removetrailingbackslash(dbf_folder) + chr(92) + "customer.dbf"

dim customerIDList as c 
                            customerIDList = table.external_record_content_get(tableFilename,"alltrim(customer_id)","customer_Id",".t.")
                            customerIDList = crlf() + customerIDList 'add a blank entry  as the first item in the list.

[B]customerIdList = a5_html_list_populate(customerIDList,"")[/B]

%>
                            http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...POPULATE().htm

Comment

Andrea,

You are a gem.

I will study this later. Thanks so much!

Gary
                              Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
                              X