Alpha Video Training

Thread: Navigation Menu

"Certified" Alphaholic Phil Rolf's Avatar
    Real Name
    Philip Rolf

Default Navigation Menu

I realize in a previous release that you had to republish Navigation Menus generated with V8 to overcome some problem. I have Republished the components, the a5w page, cleared the history, and I still cannot get my menus to work....

Is there anything else I can do? I have the latest build 1874-3133

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Default Re: Navigation Menu

What doesn't work? Error message or just empty space, etc.?
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Philip Rolf

Being a bit more specific might help. The navigation menu is a one line drop down. When you place the mouse on the Menu, you can see that the menu display change to show that the mouse is on the menu. However, when you click on the menu NOTHING HAPPENS. I even tried changing it to a mouseover format and nothing happened. The menu would NOT drop down to display my selections. I might add this menu was created in V7 and has been working fine. I did not have to access this menu for the past month or so. Somewhere within the releases (I guess) something went astray....

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Don't know. Can you put the component up here to test, or email it to me. I'd just recreate it in V8 if it continued to be a problem.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

You may want to refer to this thread. In that build, the file "a5_menu.js" was changed

The preferred method is to just republish the navigation component.

Check if you have a copy of the file in the "javascript" folder under the local project folder. If you originally built this in A5V7, you may have a local copy. If you publish all files, and have an older copy of "a5_menu.js" in the javascript folder of the local project, the publish will first publish the new copy from the system folder. It will then overwrite it with the local copy as all files in the local "javascript" folder are published when you select "all". Publishing just the component will not publish the local copy.

You can also delete any ".js" files in any "javascript" folder under the local project folder and republish. If you have any custom javascript files, don't delete them. The publish process will publish the javascript files from the program folder which are the latest versions.

Real Name
    Clint Griggs

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Rolf View Post
    I realize in a previous release that you had to republish Navigation Menus generated with V8 to overcome some problem. I have Republished the components, the a5w page, cleared the history, and I still cannot get my menus to work....

Is there anything else I can do? I have the latest build 1874-3133
    Hi, I'm having the same problem and this fixes it for me. Go into the menu component and change anything so the STAR appears (change back as needed) save and then publish.

Real Name
    Philip Rolf

I had done that and it did not work. I am hoping to work on the problem this weekend...will keep you informed...

Real Name
    D.Chiasson

We have the SAME problem.

Sometimes after we publish the dropdowns WORK, other times they don't. Each dropdown menu selection is a differenet A5W page. We do have security on the menu & it works soemtimes.

That is a user only sees the horizonal menu choices they are allowed to.

I will try to be more specific. To see all horizontal menu choices a user needes a security level of 10. When working, he sees all 5 (Base Files, Transactions, Work Requests, Logoff and Admin Utilities) and under each is the appropriate dropdowns.

When NOT working, this SAME user can still see the 5 choicesabove but when on one of the menu choices the dropdowns are KAPUT. Go to them and NOTHING happens.

Like I said it is flakey, sometimes works after a publish, sometimes it doesn't.

Our app has NOT undergone any changes in MONTHS so I would day the probl lies with the serv

dewayne

Real Name
    D.Chiasson

I "think" I have a solution at least a work around until someone comes forward with a MORE elegant solution.

After publishing to spanking NEW folders in A5WebRoot, there is a folder called "JavaScript". In our case we have 3 profiles under A5WebRoot.

I was NOT getting the dropdowns after publishing so I COPIED all the files in our Alpha5v8 application ->javascript folder INTO the various profiles.

EUREKA, I now get dropdown selections.

When you publish, WHERE does the app grab the files that go into the "JavaScript" that are in each A5WebRoot profiles? Obvisouly they do NOT come out of A5V8.

Pain in the behind but seems to work now.

dewayne