Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

CurrentForm.controls vs. Request.variables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CurrentForm.controls vs. Request.variables

OK, this is anal, but I would like to make sure I understand this, and the help file is a bit thin on it.

Using the dlg_EditAddUser component sample to add a user to security, I track the following values.

VALIDATE event, part 1
    Code:
        dlg_EditAddUser Validate, before save user values
    request.variables.ulink= test-test12
    request.variables.guid= 
    request.variables.userid= [email protected]
    CurrentForm.Controls.ulink= test-test12
    CurrentForm.Controls.userid= [email protected]
    CurrentForm.Controls.email= 
    CurrentForm.Controls.guid=
    Above it looks like as I type values for the controls on the dialog, that also fills values for request.variables... There is no value for CurrentForm.Controls.email yet because it is a hidden control with no user entry.

VALIDATE event, part 2
    Code:
        dlg_EditAddUser Validate, after save user values
    a5ws_save_user_values(CurrentForm,request)
    request.variables.guid= 
    CurrentForm.Controls.guid= 35582dd786584ed1a38f6afd6afd3c36
    I am suprised by 2 things above. 1. After creating the web security record, CurrentForm.Controls.guid is now filled, before I "get" user values. Why is this? 2. request.variables.guid gets no value as a result of CurrentForm.Controls.guid being filled vs. when I type a value. Is there logic here or "just the way it is"?

AFTERVALIDATE event, part 1
    Code:
        dlg_EditAddUser AfterValidate, before get user values
    request.variables.guid= 
    Values are the same as they were left in Validate, so all is fine.

AFTERVALIDATE event, part 2
    Code:
        dlg_EditAddUser AfterValidate, after get user values
    a5ws_get_user_values(CurrentForm,request)
    request.variables.guid= 
    CurrentForm.Controls.email= [email protected]
    request.variables.guid was not filled, so are only the "controls" filled by a5ws_get_user_values()?

Bill.

Re: CurrentForm.controls vs. Request.variables

I could be wrong but doesn't request refer more to the page whereas currentForm is for grid/dialog elements?

Comment

CurrentForm.Controls is a placeholder for the controls in a dialog component. These are outputs from the a5ws_get_user_values() and a5ws_save_user_values() functions. The a5ws_get_user_values() function populates all controls that are valid for the current security configuration. The a5ws_save_user_values() may output error messages for a control (CurrentForm.Controls.control.has_Error) or may send a blank return value for invalid input values.

As stated in the help, Request.variables contain all variables sent from the client when the page / component is submitted. These are input values to the functions.

Comment

Thanks Jerry. I may be in a minority, but I am asking because (what I have found in) the help file did not clear it up for me. The thing I have to keep straight (and that I am still sorting out) in a client/server environment, is the detail of how the two sides talk to each other.

Originally posted by JerryBrightbill View Post
        As stated in the help, Request.variables contain all variables sent from the client when the page / component is submitted. These are input values to the functions.
        So when I type into fields in a dialog, that is entering a value into request.variables.mycontrolname, which is ultimately sent to the server. In the page before going to the server, does currentform.controls.mycontrolname exist or it it only created on the server? (I know I am incorrectly using "pointer" terminology to refer to whatever is on the client.)

Originally posted by JerryBrightbill View Post
        CurrentForm.Controls is a placeholder for the controls in a dialog component. These are outputs from the a5ws_get_user_values() and a5ws_save_user_values() functions. The a5ws_get_user_values() function populates all controls that are valid for the current security configuration.
        Would have been helpful for me if help file said CurrentForm was output from function, and contrast it to "User Values" output. Is "placeholder for" the same thing as "pointer to"?

If I want to refer to a control value, i.e. the value sent TO the server, in my xbasic script it sounds like request.variables.mycontrolname is technically the one to use. When is currentform.controls... given it values? When my Validate script runs, currentform.controls... already have the same value as correspoinding request.variables..., so could either be used? Probably some reason why not?

The a5ws_save/get_user_values() use "request" as input, and output "currentform". But a5ws_save_user_values() did not fill CurrentForm.Controls.Email, while a5ws_get_user_values() did fill this control. This is confusing to me. (My first post did not show the line
        request.variables.Email = alltrim(request.variables.userid) before I saved to security.)

Finally, when I do a5ws_get_user_values() and multiple input values have been set, would the function search first for request.variables.guid, then userid, then ulink in finding a match with existing records?

Bill.

Comment

A5ws_save_user_values() only outputs limited values. Its purpose is to validate and save values. It will blank some fields that were invalid, such as an invalid userid or password by returning the blank value in the relevant CurrentForm.Controls control value. It also can output errors such as CurrentForm.has_error or CurrentForm.Controls.ControlName.has_error. To get the saved values, you have to use the get function.

When you type into fields in a dialog, they only exist on your computer until the page is submitted. When it is submitted the server places all submitted values into variables referenced by the "request.variables" pointer. For example, if you submit a field named "email" the value you entered will be found in "request.variables.email". Where it can get confusing is that you can also reference the value in a component event or web page with just the variable name, in this case "email"

When a component runs, all of the request.variables filled by the server are sent to the component when the component loads. In a dialog, those values are then placed into fields using the CurrentForm.Controls pointer. The CurrentForm.Controls pointer only exists in the component server events. When the component runs, the values referenced by CurrentForm.Controls are placed into the actual html that is sent back to the client

The security functions can only use the request.variables as inputs. The functions never use CurrentForm or CurrentForm.Controls as inputs for fields. Under certain conditions, the save security function may read a column heading from CurrentForm.Controls, but that is the only thing it reads.

Once you are working in the dialog events, you can add values on the server side using CurrentForm.Controls. For example, you may want to place a default value into the email field, so you could use this
          HTML Code:
          CurrentForm.Controls.Email.value = "[email protected]"
          While the help examples show you can also override values sent to pages and components in request.variables by manually changing a request.variable value, this is normally bad practice. In some future version, request variables may become read only. We will be releasing security functions that have a dedicated input parameter so there will be no reason to manually set any value for any variable in request.variables. These functions will be nearly straight replacements for the existing functions, which may become deprecated. The new functions already exist in both A5V8 and A5V9, but have not been documented.

Comment

Jerry,

On a registration page for instance, wouldn't you always need to manually set request.variables.email if the userid was an email address?

request.variables.email = currentform.controls.userid

Else you would have to ask the user to enter their userid, and then a redundant email address (assuming for the sake of argument you wanted to force them to be the same value).
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks Jerry (and Steve) for all your contributions. I still have questions, probably because of semantics, but I guess it is too much to resolve here.

I need a deeper understanding of all of this, and much of the documentation is at too high a level, e.g. a5ws_save_user_values(). "only outputs limited values" is at that high level, although I did not expect you to document it here. Trial and error is then needed, but that is more difficult and time consuming than on the desktop side.

Bill.

Comment

Bill,

This recent post of mine goes part way to explain how the function works in the context of registering a new user. The upper part of the post is specific to the users question, the bottom part more generic.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...1&postcount=16
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

That post was very helpful when I read it previously. That got me over the first hump, particularly in understanding why the a5ws_get_user_values() in the AfterValidate event, and ultimately led to my starting this thread. Looking back over it, I am supprised that I did not post my appreciation in that thread.

In another thread you said
                  The key to being inventive it [sic] to know how Alpha Five works, not just working with Alpha.
                  There are too many cases where the Help file gives the latter and not the former. I don't underestimate the huge challenge and cost of Help files, as I face the same issue in my own apps. But it greatly reduces my productivity, not to mention creativity.

This and other threrads have helped, but I still do not feel "unleashed".

Alpha might be able to leverage their documentation budget by starting a "recommended reading" topic in the Help file if there are non-Alpha books that can jump-start our general understanding and be compatible with the WAS approach.

I will have to admit (assume) that there is very helpful info in the Help files that I have not found. I don't know whose fault that is, but I sure miss the days when a printed version of the documentation was not 10,000 pages. (The large amount of white space makes it a bit unmanagable.)

Bill.

Comment

The limited values that can be outputs from the save function are the error messages. The statement that it can return blank values for invalid inputs is incorrect.

Comment

Sorry Jerry - are you referring to my referenced post, or something in this thread. I can't find where or who made that statement. If me, I'd want to correct it.
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Well, I have now fiddled with a5ws_save_user_values() for about a week for one page for one customer, and still coming up short. Read, re-read, and re-re-read everything.

I'm using the WebDemo WebUsers.A5W page as my base.

From Interactive:
                        ?a5ws_user_file_field_list()
                        = Guid
                        Password
                        Ulink
                        Userid

Dialog fields include:
                        guid (hidden)
                        Ulink (hidden)
                        UserID
                        Password

Validate event is:
                        currentform.Controls.Ulink.value = currentform.Controls.password.value
                        a5ws_save_user_values(CurrentForm,request)

The UserID is a valid email address.

Web Security Configuration has absolute minimal, non-restrictive requirements for the password.

The security record is getting created, with only the UserID. Ulink and Password fields are blank. And, the member_info.dbf record isn't getting created either.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

Edit: I just realized I posted this in the V8 section, but I'm using V9. Should make no difference - I just wanted to stick with a similar thread.
                        -Steve
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X