Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Is there a limitation on the # of characters that can be used in an email message?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a limitation on the # of characters that can be used in an email message?

Hi All,
    I'm trying to create a "send layout via email" script, but I keep getting a script error message when I run it if the email message exceeds a paragraph (an approximation, didn't do an actual count).

Is this a formatting issue (can't use hard enters or have line spaces, etc.) or is there a limit on the number of characters that can be used?

If it matters, I'm using the default email client (Outlook).

Thanks

Re: Is there a limitation on the # of characters that can be used in an email message

Bill,

What is the error message you are getting? Are you sending data via the body of the email or as an attachment?
    Cheryl
    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
    http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Re: Is there a limitation on the # of characters that can be used in an email message

Cheryl,
      The message is in the body of the email, not an attachment

Script:CanDepart : line 42
      :report.send(blah blah blah)

The thing is; the error message only fires when the message is long (don't know how long) so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the code if a shorter message doesn't cause that to happen.

Thanks for the response

Comment

Hi Bill,

The <OBJECT>.SEND() method emails a layout as an attached file, it does not include the data in the body message of the email. Perhaps your ISP or Outlook has limitations on the size of attachments that can be sent out?

I would suggest first creating an Alpha email profile and try running your same script using the Alpha internal email and see if you get the same error. If not, then your trouble is either with Outlook or your ISP.
        Cheryl
        #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
        http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Bill,

I send this email exactly like this and it has a lot of code built in every day using the outlook oor eudora setting at the bottom. I don't know how long yours is.

We Know How Important it is to "DO IT YOUR WAY!"

Dave Mason
          Dealership
          1233 main st
          crystal river, FL 34448

352-555-6800 or 877-745-2299
          My Cell 352-302-2015
          email dealer@lotrun.com
          www.dealership.com

Dear James Schum,

Thank you for your interest in the 2007 GMC YUKON 4WD via the Internet. I have some Great Rebates/Incentives on selected models and I will also include these for you.

If you wish a price with equipment, please respond with a list of equipment and colors or you will be priced exactly for what you sent in with no options.

I will handle everything for you. I am the only one here that handles the Internet vehicle requests and have a financial arrangement made so that I do not have to make a profit to make a paycheck. I would be happy to meet with you at your convenience to answer any questions, as well as provide the keys for a test drive. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me. I can be reached either by replying to this e-mail or
          352-555-6800 or 877-745-2599 or My Cell 352-302-2015
          If the "BEST" price you recieve is not what you expected, please do not hesitate to let me know. I also keep a great selection of preowned vehicles in stock.

Thank you.
          Dave Mason </STRONG>
          BuyPower/Internet Manager
          352-555-6800 or 877-746-2599 or My Cell 352-302-2015

PS We Know How Important it is to "DO IT YOUR WAY!"
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Cheryl,
            The attachment isn't the issue, it's the message (size or formatting) in the body of the email that fires the error. I use the default emailer because I want the emails to show up in my Outlook "sent" folder (and I am, admittedly, ignorant as to how the A5 mailer works).

I did notice that there is a "type" designation (under "result" in the expression builder window for creating the message) that changes from "C" to "B" if more than 1,023 characters, counting spaces, are entered. And that seems to be the point at which this happens.

Dave,
            Is that ad contained in the message body of your emails, or is it an attachment? (FYI; I did a character count on your message and it came back as 1,362).

I ask because the formatting, or "look", is important to me, but so isn't the recipient's ability to read the message when they open the email, instead of having to open an attachment. I hate opening attachments to see what an email is about, and I'm guessing other people feel the same way. To say nothing about the fears of opening something that might contain viruses.

Comment

Bill,
              It seems that you are using a variable then for your message....And Dave may very well be as well but the difference could be he is using more than one variable for various parts of the message and so actually the 1023 count is not being exceeded (and so the variable is not being automatically converted to a blob).

So a few of ways around your dilemma.

Create smaller messages! :p

Use more than one variable for you messages

Write the blob to a file with file.writeb() and then use Field.memo_read_from_field() when the number exceeds 1023.

I am hoping for an easier method to surface.
              Mike

Comment

Bill,

I didn't know there was a 1023 limit. I guess I exceeded it on most of my emails, but they get sent. Maybe it is because it is from a template? 2349 letters 2742 if spaces count

Is that ad contained in the message body of your emails, or is it an attachment? (FYI; I did a character count on your message and it came back as 1,362).
                In the body of the message. I don't use attachments as most will not open them(in my business). I have used graphics in the past too, but they load too slow and the reciever would just drop it.

Here is the exact code from the body as best I can copy it.

Code:
                Dave Mason 
                Eagle Buick Pontiac GMC 
                1275 S Suncoast Blvd
                Homosassa, FL 34448
                352-795-6800 or 888-745-2599
                My Cell 352-302-2015
                email [email protected]
                www.eaglebuickpontiacgmc.com  

Dear  <<trim(First)+" "+trim(Last)|>>, 

You requested a price for a <<trim(Year)+" "+trim(Make)+" "+trim(Model)+" "+trim(Trim)+" "+trim(Body)+" "+" "+trim(Special)+" "+trim(Colors)+" "+trim(Engine)+" "+trim(Special_Features)|>>. 

With all Possible Incentives your price could be as low as:  $<<cash-(Reb1+Reb2+Reb3+Reb4+Reb5)||10|2>> purchased from our stock.  Price is good for <<Ilead->Hoursgood||10|2>> hours or until <<Ilead->Pricegoodtil|>> whichever comes first(incentives do change and I can generally protect for 3 days)** 
                A Savings from MSRP up to: $ <<(Msrp-Cash)+(Reb1+Reb2+Reb3+Reb4+Reb5)||10|2>> !

We have over 600 preowned vehicles to further satisfy your needs availeable.

To get a credit application to us, please provide the following in email or phone call:

Legal full name, Full address, date of birth,driver license number,social security number

***NO information from you will be sold, given away or otherwise put in other hands.  I will not know your credit score, but will be able to communicate the likelihood of financing!***

**NO vehicle is held on the basis of a bid unless answered prior to the vehicle being sold. *Incentives are subject to change without notice and usually do at the end of each month. Incentives may be different according to location and you may receive more or less Incentives.

Factory or Dealer installed options could raise the final price. Finding a vehicle In-Stock can save you money!  State Fees, Locate Fees(not freight), Taxes(can vary according to your zip code) and Dealer Fees must still be added. We DO NOT have an Internet fee!  All prices are set to coincide with the unit you requested with no options or with the options you asked for.  I will be happy to locate the vehicle of your choice if I don't have it in stock and bring it here.  

Dave Mason 

BuyPower/Internet Manager
                352-795-6800 or 888-745-2599 or My Cell 352-302-2015 

We Know How Important it is to "DO IT YOUR WAY!"

PS, Please don't hesitate to call if you think the price or equipment is different than expected.

Acadia is here!    Enclave is here!

<<if(isblank("Usedmake"), "", "Possible Pre-Owned Alternatives")|>>  

<<if( isblank("Usedmake"), "", "Year= "+trim(Usedyear)+" Make= "+trim(Usedmake)+" Model= "+trim(Usedmodel)+"  "+trim(Usedother)+" Miles= "+trim(Usedmiles)+" Internet Price= "+trim(str(Usedprice,10,2)))|>>

<<if( isblank("Usedmake2"), "", "Year= "+trim(Usedyear2)+" Make= "+trim(Usedmake2)+" Model= "+trim(Usedmodel2)+" "+trim(Usedother2)+" Miles= "+trim(Usedmiles2)+" Internet Price= "+trim(str(Usedprice2,10,2)))|>>
                Last edited by DaveM; 06-07-2008, 02:01 PM.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

The limitation is also present when using netmailer! If you create the email body using the expression builder within the genie the "type" changes from Character to Blob and the error fires when attempting to run the job.

I must admit I would expect the NetMailer addin to handle this but clearly it does not.
                  Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Glen,

Why does mine work? There are 3 if statements.

Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave

If I knew the answer to that I would not have posted:)

I am using a mixture of plain text and expressions to pick up names etc
                      Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Dave,
                        As you said, you have a template in which most of the message body has already been composed--probably a memo or rtf field or analogous to them I would guess....the variables you are using within the template have a character count of under 1023 I imagine.

Glen,
                        Unless you are also using such a template then there is no comparison between what you are doing and what Dave has done. More info is needed but again, I am guessing that you are using a character variable for pretty much most, if not all, of the email's message.

Either that or I have missed the entire reasoning/cause behind it.
                        Mike

Comment

Mike

I may have mislead. The error occurs when I use action scripting and the "send a layout via email" option. I create the email body as per image eg1 and if it it contains too many characters and becomes a blob then I get the error message as per imae eg2.
                          Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Glenn,

As you said, you have a template in which most of the message body has already been composed--probably a memo or rtf field or analogous to them I would guess....the variables you are using within the template have a character count of under 1023 I imagine.
                            None of the above. It is typed in text, fields off a form/table. NO RTF, Memo, or variables at all.

The particular email I showed you has three if statements that show table fields that exist on the form calling the template.

I really don't understand what I may have done if there really is a 1023 limit.

Also, it is in version 7 and has been used in v8 and v9 with no changes.

You cannot see the email in v7 when using vista, but it sends fine when tested.

If you are sending by xbasic, there may be different limits??

Below is the form that calls the template. It is the send first button.

Again, I am not trying to tell anyone they are either right or wrong, just trying to understand why the error is happening. Others may need the info, including me.

Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi,

As I mentioned Dave you're using a template and so there is no variable to be converted to a Blob and so no mismatch of variable types when the amount of data exceeds the 1023 limit and converts the once character variable into a blob type. And for an unbeknownst reason to me, even though a memo field can be either have character or blob data, a memo field won't accept the data from a character variable that has been automatically converted to a blob variable.

I believe Glen is using a variable as his expression has to equal something.

After looking at the help files regarding templates, it states that Netmailer cannot use them. But after looking at the help files for Netmailer I found that the email message can be inserted via a file---so if it were me, I'd set the expression Glen has for the message to a variable, write it to a file (using the file.writeb() function) and use the file. I don't know offhand if this can be done completely using Action Script.

Glen, I agree that this should not have to be done, especially when using a special piece of software dedicated to sending emails---unless someone comes forward with another explanation, what I said is how I would approach the problem.

...and I really wish someone would show a different way or approach to how to use the data within the variable when a character variable becomes a blob...I will be watching with all others now just for this.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X