Alpha Video Training

Thread: backup problem

Real Name
    d parkman

Default backup problem

We are finishing up an inventory database that is on a networked PC. I backed up Thrusday afternoon and the size of the backup was 950K. I added a report on Friday and backed up Friday afternoon and the size of the backup was 732k. No one else was using the database and I did not get a message that any files were in use. I backed up again and still got 732k.

I restored the backup to my laptop at home and several files are missing.

What can I do to make sure all of my files are being backed up?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Default Re: backup problem

You don't say which files were missing. Perhaps that would help give us a clue as to what happened. You said you ran a second backup and it was still "too small". What about the actual data - is it all there? If so and the second backup still "didn't work", I'd say there's something wrong in the setup of the backup routine.

I can't think of any way to guarantee that all files are being backed up. If the backup itself failed without warning, then it probably didn't know it failed so it would be pretty hard to determine that something went wrong. One possibility would be to have a separate routine to count the number of files to be backed up and check that against the number of files actually backed up - but we don't know anything about how your backups are being run so it's rather difficult to get any more detailed. Also, counting the files doesn't guarantee that there isn't some other error inside the backup file.

Sorry but at this point all I can do is tell you my own backup philosophy....

If you only have one backup, you are not adequately backed up.

For critical info (critical data or apps I'm currently working on) I keep daily backups for at least a week, a backup from each month for a year, and possibly an annual backup for a few years.

I've never had a need to restore from an annual backup but I've been surprised at the number of times I've had to go back 3-4 months for a customer. Data errors are not always found right away. Sometimes a number of months go by before someone runs the right report or query to notice a problem and those who overwrite yesterday's backup with today's backup will be in trouble.

My own AIMS Backup puts the date on the name of the backup file. This makes it very difficult for a user to overwrite previous backups. I recommend that they buy 2 two-gig memory sticks and rotate them - take one home at night, bring the other back the next day - just in case the whole building burns down with the computer and memory stick inside. Most users can get over a years worth of backups on those memory sticks before they need to delete some of them to make room for the next years worth.

Real Name
    d parkman

The actual data is still there. To backup, I am using A5's backup routine (tools, backup/restore database, backup database). How do I count the number of files in the A5 database?

Real Name
    d parkman

The actual data is still there. To backup, I am using A5's backup routine (tools, backup/restore database, backup database). How do I count the number of files in the A5 database?

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Don,

Was there anything like a compact run between bacups?

was the same SAVED backup routine used or was it redefined?

Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    d parkman

Dave - The problem has been solved. Unbeknowst to me a co-worker had changed the backup routine to not include some .pdf files. Thanks for the help.