Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

New App - Move to LAN Server - Can't start in browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New App - Move to LAN Server - Can't start in browser

OK, I built my app using the local WAS to debug and now have the Enterprise version of WAS running on LAN server. I have successfully published the app on the LAN server. I can start the WAS from the "Program Files" directory on the server, configure it to the server, and specify the default a5w page. When I double click the a5w page, I get a "Application Server Started" and a green dot in my windows tray, but nothing on the browser. If I start the a5w page in IE, I only see the results of the html code up to the <%a5 tag, but nothing further. The manuals don't seem to address the simple fundamentals of running your app in a browser. Help!

Re: New App - Move to LAN Server - Can't start in browser

Try "Publish and Open" instead... You wouldn't browse to somebody's website by downloading their website files and opening them locally,would you?

You can direct your browser to the URL of the LAN server (or IP address/defaultpage.a5w), otherwise it tries to open the .a5w page locally on your PC!

Comment

Maybe my problem is more fundamental. My understanding is that when I got done publishing a web project that anyone could run it via the enterprise version of the A5 Web App Server (which we bought in addition to A5V9 Platinum). Are you telling me that a user must have an A5V9 license or a Run Engine License just to run a Web Project?

Comment

Originally posted by AAVasaris View Post
        Maybe my problem is more fundamental. My understanding is that when I got done publishing a web project that anyone could run it via the enterprise version of the A5 Web App Server (which we bought in addition to A5V9 Platinum). Are you telling me that a user must have an A5V9 license or a Run Engine License just to run a Web Project?
        Not at all but if you don't know what to type in your browser to view the website on the server, publishing with the "publish and open" option tends to open the default page, which you can then bookmark.

By the sound of it what you were doing was trying to run the .a5w files by double-clicking on them, or opening them from within IE (by going to file->open), which tries to open them locally on your PC, rather than served up by the web app server. Just opening the .a5w page won't work, you have to use the full URL (or IP address/server name), e.g. http://www.yourdomain.com/Project or http://111.111.111.1/Project or http://myLanServer/Project
        Last edited by NoeticCC; 07-02-2008, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I'm not a A5 guru. I do know a bit about things network related.

1. Go to the LAN server and try using IE to open the page.
          2. What kind of LAN sever do you have? Is IIS loaded?
          3. What port are you using? The default is 80. Did you use it?
          4. You said that you successfully loaded the web site onto the server. When you can't access files, look at permissions.
          5. Firewall??

Comment

Thanks for the response. Having checke permissions and after activating the server with the license number (sometimes we miss the simple things), the server seems to be working and accessible. The next problem we are facing is how the server resolves its paths using the various "roots" and aliases. I have found this part of Alpha5 marginally documented, but I'm learning through a lot of testing and continual reading. The server seems to start the web pages OK, but only finds one of the users, even though all have been established and it can't find the data (dbf) files. The answer seems to lie in WAS settings and publishing settings for directories and aliases. Still frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by GregoryCW View Post
              I'm not a A5 guru. I do know a bit about things network related.

1. Go to the LAN server and try using IE to open the page.
              Good point, what the original poster was doing from THEIR PC (browsing to the published files and trying to open the .a5w page locally) won't work as it tries running the file on their PC, but on the server this should work.

What Operating System does the server have?

Comment

Here's my data structure: I map locally to T:\ which looks like http://alpha5.cai-eng.com as a URL.
                Document Root for the WAS is T:\A5Webroot (I have enabled the security framework) and running nicely on Port 8080.

My Publishing Profile called CAI-A5_Server has:
                Webroot = T:\A5Webroot
                Target Folder = Default.WebProject (which I think resolves as T:\A5Webroot\Default.WebProject

Folder for data files = T:\A5DataRoot

Base URL = http://alpha5.cai-eng.com

Under Aliases: [PathAlias.ADB_Path] = A5DataRoot for the CAI-A5-Server profile.

When I look at my T:\ drive I find my webproject stuff in T:\alpha5\A5Webroot\Default.WebProject and my dbf files in T:\alpha5\A5DataRoot.

The security works for me, then to my after login page which has a data grid in it that shows:

Error 3 - Error loading [PathAlias.ADB_Path]\parcels.dbf: The system cannot find the path specified. \[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\parcels.dbf

The file is located at http://alpha5.cai-eng.com/A5DataRoot/parcels.dbf (I think) which in the local context is T:\alpha5\A5DataRoo\parcels.dbf

Comment

Originally posted by AAVasaris View Post
                  Thanks for the response. ... The answer seems to lie in WAS settings and publishing settings for directories and aliases. Still frustrating.
                  I'm going through the learning curve myself. I have some of the pieces in places - others to come.

The complexity comes in two parts: the ability to support multiple web sites on one server and the separation of data from programs (protecting the data).

The alpha site has a number of training videos and programs - many free, that touches on these setup issues. I'm sorry that I can't point you to the specific document that discusses this issue but I know that I've seen info during my visits.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                  X