Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Browse Window Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browse Window Titles

Is there any way to define a caption for the window title of a browse similar to how it can be done for a form?

When designing a form it is possible to specify a caption for the form window which substitutes for the default Alpha generated window title. This is nice because it allows the use of a cleaner and/or more meaningful window title than Alpha otherwise creates based on the combination of the bound table name and user assigned form name. For example a form named Managers bound to a table named Mgmt_Entities results in the following Alpha generated window title: Mgmt entities.dbf: Form View (Manager Entities) when opened for viewing. Accurate, but not a particularly attractive title to display to end users. But using the caption ability found in form properties a substitute title, like say simply Managers or Add Managers can be set and Alpha will display the title as such.

However, when defining browses there appears to be no similar facility provided. If a browse is defined for the same table Mgmt_Entities, Alpha generates a window title Managers: Browse (Managers) and there is no apparent way by which to set substitute caption as in the case of forms. I might prefer to title the window Browse Managers, but there is no property setting to accomplish this.

Also a related issue is the assignment of window titles for lookups that are defined as table lookups in the field rules. In this case Alpha would define the lookup browse window title as Managers.dbf: Lookup and there is again no way to provide a substitute for the default title. I might prefer to have Lookup Managers as a title, but how?

I looked at trying to set browse window titles via Object Explorer but in my testing Object Exporer won�t retain any alterations to the window title that I make.

Is it necessary to resort to Xbasic to control these? If so it would be really handy if the ability to accomplish this were provided via the browse properties in as much as in almost all cases I would want to be able set my own defined window titles. Am I in a small minority of developers who would like better control over browse window and lookup browse window titles?

Re: Browse Window Titles

I only read the first half of your post (Multi-tasking):
    Embedd the browse in a form with a custom caption.

Comment

I am aware that when using an embbeded browse one has the ability to affix a custom caption for the browse onto the parent form by means of positioning a simple text label above the embedded browse. That's ok. But that's not what I am talking about. I am talking about the ability to define a caption for a stored/named browse that will be opened directly , i.e. not embedded, or is called as the defined browse for a lookup table. In neither of these instances do I see a simple property setting allowing a caption to be defined.

Comment

If you access the object explorer from the View menu in design mode you can find the property for the window_title there. Granted I did not try to change the default setting, but it looks like you could.

Edit:

Ok I tried it in ver7 and it will not "stick", though it shows ok in design mode. Too bad... I also tried setting it in the OnInit event for the browse and that didn't work either. You could try it in ver9 I suppose - Good luck!
        Last edited by MoGrace; 07-02-2008, 11:26 PM.
        Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Hi,
          I am using version 8 but I can get it to stick using the OnFetch event using this.window_title="Whatever". The only way I could trigger the OnFetch was to use record navigation right after opening the form by using say this.fetch_next() followed by this.fetch_first() in the same script that opens the form. But works and once the title changes it stays until closed and reopened--but if opening the same way using the fetch_next and fetch_first then not a problem.
          Last edited by MikeC; 07-03-2008, 12:40 AM.
          Mike

Comment

Mike,
            I am surprised you need to add the fetch_next() thingy since the OnFetch should be triggered with the OnInit event. At least in a form it works that way. If the calling script for the browse uses a fetch_first() that should trigger the OnFetch event for the browse too.
            Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Thanks for the various responses. So it would appear that there is no simple/easy method for controlling the window caption for a stored/named browse. I will experiment a bit with the approach of embedding Xbasic code in various events. Perhaps that will accomplish my objectives. However, as a wish list item I will be posting a wish that there be consistency in how object properties for forms and browses are controlled and that adding simple window caption controls for named browses and for browses called for purposes of lookups be added.

Comment

Douglas,

Good idea to place in the wishlist forum.

Robin,

I agree. The OnInit event does not work as I expected it to in this case--I thought it would / should be a simple case of placing the this.window_title=.... in the OnInit but is not. Even the OnFetch seems to act a bit different and I could only get it to fire in the way I indicated which is a crummy work-a-round but it does seem to work.

Am glad I am not partial to named browses as they do seem to be much harder to utilize...at least for the purposes I have used browses for.
                Mike

Comment

Working...
                X