Alpha Video Training

Thread: "Billings" with embedded browses

Real Name
    Rich Lopman

Default "Billings" with embedded browses

Hit that blank wall again and I'm looking for help. See attached (zip) with form "custquotes". Is it do-able? Do-able with Action scripting? Thanks in advance, to any and all help. I also had great difficulty loading my file directly from "C"

Rich L.

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Default Re: "Billings" with embedded browses

You don't need a "function", you need an expression. You have defined a calc field: Line->extension w/o an expression. You have a CanEdit field rule event which serves no purpose. You don't need action scripting.

Study the Alpha Sports Invoice form. That does what you are trying to do.

Real Name
    Rich Lopman

I've sent this to Peter.
    Peter,
    Thank you for your help. I’m still not getting the results I want yet, so I’m using your suggestions and changing my set structure and combining Rate with Price, and going back to square one. AlphaSports is a rather omprehensive invoicing routine. It would have been nice if they had used a simplified example continuing on the Alpha movies tutorials and letting people build on that, rather than introducing such a complex example. Makes people think they are stupid when they are asked to run before they have learned to crawl.
    Do you know of a free or low cost A5v7 generic simplified invoicing routine?
    Thanks, again, R

Am I the only one in the Alpha world that thinks AlphaSports invoicing is rather complex as a learning tool?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Hi Rich,
    Am I the only one in the Alpha world that thinks AlphaSports invoicing is rather complex as a learning tool?
    I agree to a point. It does appear complex to someone who has no clue regarding database design/creation or just programming in general (like me!!) when first using Alpha 5. In fact, I have rarely even looked at AlphaSports since the first time I opened it when first beginning and thinking the same thing as you. It was just too confusing. I instead read the messageboard, learned how to search the board and help files, did a couple of tutorials, and then proceeded to build my first application.

Now that I am familiar with Alpha I can understand it. If I had been a programmer prior to Alpha I most likely could have learned a lot from it, but for a complete novice it is just a bit overwhelming. Most here recommend using it as a learning tool, but for me it would have most likely discouraged me and at a minimum slowed down my learning.

Just another opinion from someone who is most likely in the minority in this regard, but who can most definitely relate to the frustration of the initial learning curve.
    Mike

Real Name
    Geoff Meredith

Mike,

I think Apha Sports is okay as a learning tool but the accompanying 'Alpha sports explained' isn't great. It feels like it has been written by the developer (which I guess it has) and as such doesn't go into enough detail for the complete beginner as it assumes a certain understanding. I frequently found myself asking 'why'. It tells how something was done but not always why. I feel this is key to understanding rather than doing things parrot fashion. This isn't meant as a criticism just what I experienced and still am if the truth be told.
    I like you monitor the board regularly trying to pick up bits of information and finding out why people have done things in a certain way. The help manual is so vast that I found it totally overwhelming and for some reason rarely found what I was looking for. I am not sure what has changed but recently my ability to use the help successfully has risen considerably and although I still struggle with the syntax of xbasic I do feel I'm making progress. The bottom line is theres a learning curve and some will progress quicker than others depending on whether just a noobie to Alpha or a complete database noobie like myself. The other fact is time. Until recently I have never had a full week to work with it. It has always been a day here and there and sometimes a month in between. This is far from ideal, for me anyway, as my memory retention is not as good as it used to be; learning to keep better notes though.