Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Set children records will not display correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Set children records will not display correctly

Got a link to those forms?
    Jerry Hatchett

CERTIFIED COMPUTER EXAMINER
    LICENSED PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR

Digital Forensics & E-Discovery

Red Forensic
    Houston, TX

Comment

Tim,

Good to hear that your clients are happy with the applications that you have delivered with Alpha Five. Client expectations are very often a function of other software they have used, advertising, web searches, downloaded demos, what their competitors are doing, what they may read in popular and technical computer magazines, external management consulting services from the CPA firm, contract programmers, etc. For many users, the look and feel of Microsoft Office applications define this threshold.

I do not mean in any way to suggest that A5V9 is deficient; we all know it is extremely functional. But I’ve got to tell you I’m not interested in just functionality – I want both form and function! And I think Alpha has the potential to deliver big on both.

A couple of months a forum member privately chastised me for being critical of Alpha after I made a comment something to the effect – how could they have let this stuff out the door. The issue was the mixed use of different slider bar styles in the same form, something akin to wearing a plaid sports jacket with chalk striped trousers. Ugh!!! I’m no GQ type, but I try to avoid such fashion faux paus.

Listen, I don’t have time to waste being randomly critical. And, no I am not picking on Alpha. I have spent the last twenty years of my career helping clients re-engineer business processes, benchmark, and use information technology to either maintain a competitive advantage or at least competitive parity. Along the way I have seen standards and conventions evolve and best practices emerge, that allow others to avoid re-inventing the wheel. As you may be well aware, over the last twenty years this has been accomplished more and more with standardized software, with many firms trying to minimize custom development.

I am not sure whether many forum members or Alpha team members have this background; it’s not better than the technical development route, just different. I am very much interested in creating/using software that is easy to work with and which improves a client’s productivity both directly and indirectly for such issues as error correction, training, etc. I would venture to say, I probably have worked hands on with more financial software than any member on this forum: Quicken, QuickBooks, Solomon IV, Microsoft Money, Microsoft Great Plains Dynamics, Sage MAS90, Hyperion, Lawson, and SAP. I feel that I do have a reasonably good handle on how such firms handle common interface issues.

So I am not presenting my personal opinion on some of these design issues, but endeavoring to document that the are widespread practice. When a forum member challenged me with a comment “who says so” , I provided chapter references to my personal library of GUI design books, and provided links to Amazon for ordering and full bibliographic information. I never heard anything further from him.

As far as wanting Alpha to be better? I realize that I shouldn’t give a shit. But I feel a little like the neighbor to a tadpole like a young Michael Phelps. If this kid had real potential, wouldn’t you want to encourage his parent’s to get the best possible swimming coach?

And so was the motivation in suggesting better design services for the Alpha web page, product packaging, icon design, third party manual book design, and yes even A5V9 samples, which are held out as the best Alpha Five is capable of.

I learned quickly how intensely loyal and protective many forum members are of the Alpha team. So rather than simply express a personal opinion, I have endeavored to show what other leaders in the marketplace are doing that might be worthy of emulation.

If you ever have listened to Garrison Keeler on PBS radio, you may know that the one the sponsors of the show is Ralph’s Pretty Good Grocery Store. (“Remember, if you can’t find it at Ralph’s, you probably don’t need it”). If you live in the midwest’s mythical town of Lake Wobegone, Ralph’s is “good enough”. For many clients, that’s all they want. But once they’ve been to Minneapolis or St. Paul, their horizons tend to be a little wider.

I guess you can say I am trying to encourage Alpha to take a more cosmopolitan approach to their product, to learn from the best on the market, and equal or better that.
      Every since one of the weaknesses I have identified, I think could be easily remedied.

I also realize that Alpha as a private company does not have unlimited resources and need to wisely allocate its development resources. Therefore, I push hard only on the controls that I can’t replace or work around easily. If you visit the code library, you might be interested in a paper I wrote in using A5V9 with an activeX control to achieve advanced functionality impossible with the native A5V9 tree control.

I am trying to gauge whether other users feel as do to make a case to Richard or Sewlyn or whether I should just take my bat and ball home, returning to Filemaker. I have definitely noticed that the newest forum members (presumably new to A5) tend to agree with my perspective, while the veteran members are just fine with things the way they are, thank you.

Bob McGaffic
      Pittsburgh

Comment

I was about to respond, but Selwyn already did. I don't see anything in that form that cannot very easily be done in alpha, with only one exception:
        The one-sided slanted tabs at the top.

Those could very easily be accomplished in alpha as well with a little bit of immagination.

You want to be blown away with forms?
        I've got few I could show you, but in all seriousness it won't do you any good. It's something you have to do on your own as you learn more and more about alpha.

Robert:
        I have a general comment:
        I admire your meticulous attention-for-details approach, but in all fairness:
        There must be some reason why, with all he things you do not like about alpha, there must be some reason why you are using it and trying to make it even better. Or are you using the other programs you mentioned?

Comment

Same form, made in alpha:

Do the math!
          Last edited by G Gabriel; 08-24-2008, 02:06 PM.

Comment

G,

Please help me understand your statement:
            Code:
            I don't see anything in that form that cannot very easily be done in alpha, with only one exception:
            The one-sided slanted tabs at the top.
            The screen prints indeed show something that I have not been able to figure out how to do with A5V9. Again, if I've overlooked something, please tell me where I have errored.

Both the fields Title (Mr., Mrs., Ms., etc) and Telephone type (Home, Office, Cell, etc.) exhibit the following properties:

1. The fields are displayed on the form without a V button to the right of the field
            2. Only when the field receives the cursor, does the V button appear to allow the user to select from a list of values
            3. The list of values is left aligned with no row selector buttons, no indentation, just a simple list.

Can you tell me how to accomplish all three of these objectives with A5V9?

Here are the problems I am running into with A5V9:

1. If I use a combo box for fields Title or telephone type, the little V button is permanently displayed on my form. I don't want this clutter, and the screen prints show that File Maker allows you avoid it.
            2. If I use a field rule lookup based on a table, the list of values can not be displayed without row selector buttons, regardless of whether a custom browse or a default browse is used.

My example offered to simply show what a competing package offers is what I am trying to achieve with A5V9.

The point had absolutely nothing to do with tab controls. I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

In summary the FileMaker screen shots show two important capabilities that I think would be useful additions to A5V9:
            1. The easy presentation of a single, "default" or "main" record for address or phone information (a one-to-many relationship with the parent table of Person) which was the original subject of my posting, that many forum members challenged me on.
            2. More importantly, the easy hidding of a pull down arrow until the focus was received with a values list that is displayed without the needed for row selector buttons.

Bob McGaffic
            Pittsburgh
            Last edited by rmcgaffic; 08-24-2008, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Robert:
              I don't see those fields: Mr. Mrs. etc on the form but it is not hard to figure out what you might be referring to.

Can you tell me how to accomplish all three of these objectives with A5V9?
              I am afraid not. I cannot offer any suggestion as to how to do it in v9, but it's easily doable in v8. I would expect it to be just as easy or easier in v9. I will defer to others who are on v9 to offer suggestions.

That said, why do you want to print the screen anyway? why not a report? I am not disregarding the annoyance associated with a permenantly displayed icon, but just as an aside.

Comment

G,

You are exactly correct: what I am trying to achieve is easily doable in Version 8. But it seems impossible in Version 9. I was hoping for better backwards compatibility.

Bob McGaffic
                Pittsburgh

Comment

Robert:
                  That is a question I think Selwyn will and should jump on. I could not possibly envision a newer version that is less versatile than the older one!

At any rate, as someone who had the benefit of working both with Filemaker and alpha, what do you see in alpha that is lacking in Filemaker and attracts you to alpha even with what you believe rightfully or not to be shortcomings on alpha's part?

Comment

Working...
                  X