Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

a5applicationserver.exe = hogging 99% CPU utilization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a5applicationserver.exe = hogging 99% CPU utilization

Hello everyone

Just this week our development server started experiencing major slow downs. Windows reports memory usage of about 161mb and 99% or 100% server utilization.

the only thing that has changed recently is that we have deployed another application to the server, on that is not even in test mode yet. There are no sessions being used and no user traffic from what I can see.

Is there any way I can pull back the curtain and see what is chewing up so many resources within the a5applicationserver.exe process? Is there an xbasic command that can show me via the interactive window what is happening inside the application server world?

Regardign the possible causes, is there such a thing as a java script that continues to loop, but does not ever complain or give an error message? The application is in its very early prototype phase and is extremely simple with only 7- 10 screens.

Thanks all in advance... KT
    Logical Design
    Keven Thibeault
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Dwell in possibility

Re: a5applicationserver.exe = hogging 99% CPU utilization

You might look at HTTP Debugger Pro. I use this to watch transactions on the server. If an HTTP based loop is running, you will see it.

Next, some CPU monitoring program, or the one built in to the OS (which I never can figure out how to use). Record CPU usage over time and compare to your A5 Error and Raw logs.

But the best way is just to isolate it within your program by selectively shutting off parts of the application and watching the results.

If you Google "javascript endless loop" you get a bunch of cases.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks Steve - I will do all of the above and report back!
      Logical Design
      Keven Thibeault
      Boston, Massachusetts
      Dwell in possibility

Comment

After much study, it turns out that the cause is linked somehow to multiple instances of Alpha5.exe running (as viewed within Taskmgr) on XP.

there seems to be a bug in Alpha that when you close the desktop application, the application disappears from view, however, the application continues to Run. This is especially taxing if the app server is running at the same time. It is repeatable and I will report the problem.

By going into taskmgr and manually stopping each non needed process, the utilization goes back down to normal.

Anybody got any ideas why this is?
        Logical Design
        Keven Thibeault
        Boston, Massachusetts
        Dwell in possibility

Comment

It's enough of a problem that I wrote a script that checks for multiple processes named Alpha5.exe. Be glad to give it to you. You could probably incorporate it into a close application button .
          Tommy Thompson
          Thompson Consulting Services
          Beautiful Kentucky Lake, Springville, TN 38256
          [email protected]

Comment

This was the most recent post I can find -2007 - but the problem seems to still exist.

I have A5 v9 and yes it runs up to 99% almost all the time. Easy to tell, because my fans go nuts. At least I can keep warm on these cold nights. But seriously, Alpha does not stop running. I can maneuver around the app, change pages, eben continue (usually) to edit, but it eats up all my resources. Even Avid won;t do that on a serious rendering session.

Like a Valium, it quiets down when I turn off the Appserver, but that makes live preview a bit tough. Oh, everything is fine when doing desktop apps. This is only occurring in web projects development.

So, what's up, and what is the fix?
            David Shaw
            Manager of Media Services and User Support
            Cleveland Museum of Art
            Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

We have traced the cause (we think) to some errant xbasic scripts that once corrected, solve the issue. The scripts were re-written and the problem for the most part has subsided.
              Logical Design
              Keven Thibeault
              Boston, Massachusetts
              Dwell in possibility

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

Are these scripts inherent to A5v9, or something you wrote for your app? If the latter, I do not have them on board to create this problem. If the first, then was it corrected in a new release (patch)?

My A5v9 is only 2 months off the assembly line! BUILD 1772
                David Shaw
                Cleveland Museum of Art
                Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

You say you don't have any scripts "on board". It would seem highly unlikely that you have any kind of an app that doesn't do anything. If you use Action Scripts, well those are scripts. And since scripts are just a group of code, any XBasic you have would also cause a problem if incorrectly written. Or are you trying to say that this happens right after you start Alpha? Perhaps it might be possible to post your app so that the experts might have a look and see if they can find out what's happening. However, I would do a little testing with your app and see if you can find out what part of your app is causing the increase in CPU usage and post a repeatable method for those willing to have a look.

Comment

Doug,
                    I meant that I have not written anything other than what A5 can generate. I'm not to the scripting point yet in my expertise. Therefore, any scripts running, come from A5. The "on-board" was referring to anything not automatically written into the app.

It used to not do this, when the project was relatively small. It does seem to really frire up whenever I work with .a5w pages (vs grd) and A5 hangs badly if I delete an .a5w.

I'll get some concrete evidence together so as not to waste anyone's time on the forum.

Dave - more to come
                    David Shaw
                    Cleveland Museum of Art
                    Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Dave,
                      Anytime code is written, whether by you or Alpha, decisions were made regarding not only the order in which to do various scripts but also when they are to be processed. What I am saying is that it is NOT just incorrect script/code that can cause a "hang", but also an incorrect order or placement of it. Ex: on the desktop side which I am more familiar with----the same script on the OnInit event can freeze/crash Alpha whereas on the OnActivate event will run just fine. Also, when a later part of the script is dependent upon a prior part, if a script is out of order it can stop and cause all sorts of issues.

So my point is do not just look at the script, but also these things when trying to diagnose a problem.
                      Mike

Comment

Thank you,
                        You did bring a good point to diagnose as this was fine before adding 30 pages of web build to the project. The desktop runs very well. I'll try a test, reverting to a version before web app design was begun. The data is the same (fields, qty etc). So if it behaves with that it will point me to the web design. Will do some retro diagnostics and try to pinpoint what happened/when.

Dave
                        David Shaw
                        Cleveland Museum of Art
                        Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Dave

Are you leaving the page or component editor open? Make sure those are closed after you do your work and no longer need them...

There is also an issue with remote desktop access and the clipboard that can cause this issue.
                          Al Buchholz
                          Bookwood Systems, LTD
                          Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                          Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                          "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                          Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Working...
                          X