Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Response.redirect to a particular detail view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Response.redirect to a particular detail view

I am cloning a record from a table to the same table. The id field is autoincremented correctly according to the field rule. Here's what I want to happen:

Initially the user is on the detail view of a grid, which is displayed separately from the grid, when s(he) initiates the a5w page which contains the cloning. I want the user to be sent back to this detail view with the new, cloned record showing. I do not know how to capture the new id value nor to write the response.redirect line.

This is what is on the a5w page:
    dim vid as c
    dim newvid as c
    dim src as p
    dim dest as p
    dim indx1 as p
    'Open a src first instance of the table
    src=table.open("[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\productstest")
    'Open a trg second instance of the same table
    dest=table.open("[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\productstest")
    'Set its index to id order
    indx1=src.index_primary_put("id")
    'Find the specific record
    src.fetch_find(vid)
    'Put dest into enter mode and clone record from the src
    dest.enter_begin(.T.)
    dest.record_clone(src)
    'This next line shows that dest.id and src.id are = at this point
    'newvid=dest.id
    dest.enter_end(.T.)
    'This next line shows that the dest.id doesn't transfer to newvid
    'newvid=dest.id
    dest.close()
    src.close()
    'send user to the prod_detailview of this cloned record
    'This line brings the user to the grid part but not the detail part.
    response.redirect("productstest.a5w")

So, when does the id field rule fire? And how do I get that new value. Then how do I use it in a response.redirect statement?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dorothy

Re: Response.redirect to a particular detail view

It turns out the value for newvid is saved correctly if it is placed after dest.close() - since the field rules work after the file is closed.

The value for newvid is local to the page. How do I get the url to recognize it???

Comment

Hi Dorothy.
      Without knowing exactly how your grid is set up, it's hard to give an answer, but in general you would want something like

response.redirect("productstest.a5w?id="+newvid)

if the productstest.a5w grid has the intelligence to move to an indicated record. I haven't worked with grids in a while but I believe there are ways to get them to sync to a given record.

Comment

Hi Peter,

Indeed that does work to display all the records in the grid form with the correct record number in the url. But with the thousands of records in this table, the user would have to search for the one they want, then click through to get the detail view of that record.

The particular setup is that initially the grid is shown without the detail. To do this I chose those options in the grid setup.

On the grid I click on the detail link field to get the related detail view.

On this detail view I have a clickable field that goes out to clonepage.a5w ( the code above ) and now I want to return the user to the detail view of the cloned record, not the grid view.

productstest.a5w?productstest_DetailView=036&162259624#Productstest_DetailView

When I click through by hand from the grid to the detail, the above line ends up in the url. The numbers in red are added, I believe, by the Alpha program and without it I can't make it work.

It is pretty important that the user land on this cloned detail form in order to edit and complete it.

Dorothy

Comment

It was a pleasure to stop "beating my head against this wall".

Instead I got to do a workaround. I created another grid which contains all the fields I had in the original detail view - only there is no detail view in this new one - only the grid part.

Then, with Pat Bremkamp's help, a filter arg was created and that passed the specific record number to the new grid and voila! the user is on the desired record.

Thanks to all for your help - it all led me in the right direction.

Dorothy

Comment

Working...
          X