Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Linked Image Not Found...aarrgg!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linked Image Not Found...aarrgg!

Hello

(Someone suggested I move this from the V8 form to the web server forum; I posted it again as I didn't see an easy way to move it?)

I have searched the forums and while I found lots of info on "linked image not found" none of seems to relate or at least I can't see the relationship!

http://www.manitoulinchrysler.ca/newveh.htm
    here is a hyperlink to an online database i have done for a local car dealership here...they only have 18 used vehicles in stock right now so its a small number of records...
    I am unable to do two things...
    First and formost is get it to display the images after it's published; the preview looks fine; well fine as in the pictures are there...but after it's published across the lan to my server and you try to view it across the net (you can also get to it directly at http://67.58.217.235) I think it may be an alias issue, but I can't nail it down... I have [PathAlias.ADB_Path] = \\MIC-WAS\a5webroot as the alias... is there a seperate alias to specify the page for images? I originally had the images in the same folder as the database files. In trying to fix this I moved them to their own folder.
    My second issue is THUMBNAILS... in the past, I was able to somehow re-size the pictures displayed on the grid as smaller images, with a full size picture visible when you click on the stock number (it's the hyperlink field to display the detail) but I did that well over a year ago and for the life of me I cannot remember how i did it.
    If I did it right, I have attached the entire database, pictures and all, in hopes someone can help me with these two issues.

Thanks!

Rusty
    Rusty Auxier, Owner
    Manitoulin Island Computers
    32 Anglin St., Box 168
    Mindemoya, Ontario
    P0P 1S0
    705-377-7363
    www.micomp.ca

Re: Linked Image Not Found...aarrgg!

set the inline style for the link image to say:

border-style: none; border-width: 0; height: 90; width: 100;
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Thanks Pete! I found it... mine was actually under a slightly different heading...under position... I KNEW it was there somewhere but I just could not find it.
      Do you have any idea why I am getting the LINKED IMAGE NOT FOUND error?
      This is very frustrating!

Rusty
      Rusty Auxier, Owner
      32 Anglin St., Box 168
      Mindemoya, Ontario
      P0P 1S0
      705-377-7363
      www.micomp.ca

Comment

You are using "\" should be "/" when used on the server when setting the folder path.

That's whey it works locally but in on the web.
        Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

Thanks again for the info! I changed the \ to / in the alias and it made no difference.
          I am fast running out of things to try here...
          Do you have any more ideas? I HAD this thing working for a year or more, then I started having an issue... It had 18 vehicles up there...it was set to only show 10 per page; the first page looked fine...then, when you clicked on the second page, it repeated the info on the first page to make it look like there was 18! I set it to show 20 per page, and then in the process of trying to fix it, I deleted everything in the a5webroot folder... would that have caused the problem somehow? Would the WAS software have to be re-installed? You would think the database would not show up at all if that was the case?

Thanks again!

Rusty
          Rusty Auxier, Owner
          32 Anglin St., Box 168
          Mindemoya, Ontario
          P0P 1S0
          705-377-7363
          www.micomp.ca

Comment

Had a look at your data file - will look again later but..

I would not use the imagefile type just character.

In the character field have a calulated filed that contains the path + the image name (no spaces). "/images/rustycars/" + car1.jpg

just use the image type in the grid to dispay the filed - it will work fine.

You can resize etc the way I said before.

Comment

Oh my god I am beginning to wonder what kind of monster I have un leashed here...
              I FINALLY got my original issues resolved here... Thanks to you, Pete, I found where to make thumbnails in the grid (again) and I FINALLY got the pictures to display... I was not able to do what you suggested... when i was trying to change the display type to a calculated field, I wasn't entering the expression correctly as i kept getting errors (you do that under field rules, correct?) and I am totally not clear on how, if you do it that way, how to specify a different jpg for each record, which is exactly what i need to do....
              ANYWAY I worked around it by changing the field type to NOT to reference the pictures but by actually importing them. I only have 18 records in this database (not 1000's) so file size shouldn't be a real issue.
              At first glance, all looks good
              http://www.manitoulinchrysler.ca/newveh.htm
              Pay attention to the first vehicle, a blue 2004 Pacifica.

Scroll down a bit and click on the stock number of 9202A the 2004 sebring.
              Notice the full size image is cut off; you can't see the whole thing. Click on one of the two freestar Ford vans at the end; that picture looks fine.
              After that tho, scroll back up and have a look at that first vehicle.
              The picture there is no longer of a blue 2004 pacifica; it's the last vehicle you looked at the details on.

Man o man what is happening here?
              Should I open a new thread i wonder?

Thanks again for your help Pete!

edit... I seem to have fixed it cutting off the image by resizing each picture so they are exactly the same size... still have the issue with it replacing the first records image with whatever vehicle you just check the details on tho! I tried checking the box that says "show detail view only on request" and also hiding the grid when details are displayed... that fixes the issue with replacing the picture on the first record BUT then it shows a red X instead of the picture on the detail view! REALLY ARRRGGG now man!

Rusty
              Last edited by RustyAuxier; 08-01-2008, 01:04 PM. Reason: addeed info
              Rusty Auxier, Owner
              32 Anglin St., Box 168
              Mindemoya, Ontario
              P0P 1S0
              705-377-7363
              www.micomp.ca

Comment

It makes sense i guess that I am getting a red x for the image when i tell it to hide the grid when it displays the detail view maybe... is there some kind of a work around for either
                A - keep it from replacing the first records image with another or
                B - make it display the image associated with the detail view while hiding the grid (the pics are 'embedded' in the database... not referenced)

Thanks agin!

Rusty
                Rusty Auxier, Owner
                32 Anglin St., Box 168
                Mindemoya, Ontario
                P0P 1S0
                705-377-7363
                www.micomp.ca

Comment

Here you go - I'd say this is the kind of thing you want to do.

http://117.74.99.4/rusty/

I have enclosed all the files used, hope this takes the heat of you.

Database: V9

Cheers,
                  Peter
                  Last edited by peteconway; 08-02-2008, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Hi again Pete and thanks again for all your help.
                    What you have done looks awesome but if you have a look at it, it is doing the exact same thing mine was doing originally... there are two pages of records. On the second page, it is merely repeating the vehicles found on the first page to make up the number of records that are supposed to be in the table! If you look at the table in the local application, you will see there are definately not duplicate records in there.
                    The only way I found to fix it was to have it display 20 records per page; that encompassed them all and I didn't have that issue. In the meantime tho, I created all those other issues i was having!

I am on my way out the door right now but I will be back this afternoon and have a look at those files you sent to see how you did it!

Thanks again!

Rusty
                    Rusty Auxier, Owner
                    32 Anglin St., Box 168
                    Mindemoya, Ontario
                    P0P 1S0
                    705-377-7363
                    www.micomp.ca

Comment

Hello again!
                      did you change something on your end, Pete? It looks like it might not be doing what I described in my last post... it WAS repeating items on the second page but it doesn't seem to be doing that.

I see you are using references to the jpgs instead of importing them directly, and I like the slick little calculated field to assign the picture if there is one!

Very cool, and this is EXACTLY what I need to do!

I am working with version 8 here, not version 9. Do you find it's worth the upgrade?

I am going to have at it agian and see if I can't use your ideas...

Thanks

Rusty
                      Rusty Auxier, Owner
                      32 Anglin St., Box 168
                      Mindemoya, Ontario
                      P0P 1S0
                      705-377-7363
                      www.micomp.ca

Comment

Rusty,

This has nothing to do with your problems Pete is helping you with.

There is a small program we use ( we have 200+ vehicles in our inventory) to reset the graphics so they will load quicker on a web site. I will either send it to you or send you the address tomorrow when I am at work if you want it. Most jpg's are about 150k and this may compress them and resize for a size of about 32k.

Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Yes go to V9 - Also you have an index on the vin that allows duplicates, either delete it (you don't need it on the web) or set it to unique, also in the grid set the index or display order meake, model, color.

Glad this helped.

Peter

Comment

Pete...
                            I will consider v9 but I am not sure exactly what version WAS I am running...it says enterprise edition... will that get me in trouble and will I have to upgrade that too? I am not making enough money on this database stuff at the moment to justify all of this outlay...

Dave
                            I would be interested in that piece of software I believe.
                            Is your database od 200 vehicles online somewhere I can see it? I would love to see how the big boys do it!

Thanks to all! Tomorrow is a holiday here in Canada but I am going to try to spend some time incorporating Pete's work and great ideas into my app and see what I can come up with!
                            Rusty Auxier, Owner
                            32 Anglin St., Box 168
                            Mindemoya, Ontario
                            P0P 1S0
                            705-377-7363
                            www.micomp.ca

Comment

Rusty,

I did not build the site. I just set up the software to upload the pictures through a service. These pictures go to all the sites like ours and autotrader, cars.com etc.

They require the sizing.

oor site is www.eaglebpg.com if you want to see it. each car may have 10 - 16 pics.

Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                              X