Alpha Video Training

Thread: Allowing Users To Select Multiple Lines

Real Name
    Dezza B

Default Allowing Users To Select Multiple Lines

I have a rather lengthy list and need to let users potentially chose multiple categories... The obvious answers that come to mind are having a tick-box or a Drop-Down (where we ask users to hold the Ctrl key down)

Problem is space is an issue, and tick-boxes will take too much screen real-estate. Alternatively, holding down extra keys upon selection adds another level of complexity that many won't appreciate! Fussy I know - but need it to be simple to use for everyone.

I'm wondering if it is at all possible to have 1 tick-box under a drop-down which (when ticked) allows users to select multiple lines within the drop-down without the need to hold CTRL key down? Or is there another kind of list that I could be used that I've totally missed!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Default Re: Allowing Users To Select Multiple Lines

The standard dropdown won't allow you to do that because it would collapse as soon as you selected the first item. I think what you want is a 'scrollable Iframe' section on your page. (Search for IFRAME). I have not tried this, but envision your page standing still, but with a section of your page containing all of your tickboxes in one long row within a scrollable area. The scrollable area could be another A5W page with a grid showing all choices, or just an HTML form with all of the choices. I don't know how you would avoid having the Submit button actually within the scrollable area, which is undesireable, rather than on the main page.

I'm also trying to think of which on of the developers up here designed a nifty multi-select object for the web. Had two columns, you selected what you want in the left column, click a button to 'move' it to the right. Pat Bremkamp I believe is the author, but I don't know where to find the example.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Look at the web application demo for selected customer labels.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Steve,

Yeah, that was me (I've attached a picture), and I think an earlier version is in the code archive.

This doesn't answer his need, however, because it requires use of the Ctrl or Shift keys to make multiple selections. That, however, is standard Windows behavior, so I've never had any complaints.

One idea might be to look at the "Sicky Keys" function in the browser intended for one-handed or one-fingered typists. That is a browser setting, however, not an Alpha function.

Pat

Real Name
    Dezza B

Thankyou so much for the responses guys - gives us a good lead.
    Appreciate your time. Will post an answer if we manage to find a work-around.

Kind Regards,
    Dezza