Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Image Reference File Question (Web Reports)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image Reference File Question (Web Reports)

I have a table that originally had photos stored in an image field within the table. I also had a report that when opened over the web via PDF, the picture would show up in it.

I recently changed the field in the table to an Image File Reference type, and have the pictures stored in a separate folder. The problem is that now the pictures will show up the report when printed locally or saved locally to a PDF, but when opened over the web in PDF, the images do not show up.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem.
    Sergeant Richard Hartnett
    Hyattsville City Police Department
    Maryland

Re: Image Reference File Question (Web Reports)

I believe when you manually select an image for an image reference field it uses the full path, but there is a script Richard posted here:http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...t=update+image

which lets you use relative paths... give that a go...

Comment

Hi Andrea, and thanks for the reference link. I read it over, and it looks like it explains how to link a whole bunch of images to the image reference file field in the database by the activation of a script, and I will probably use that method later on when I have lots of images, but right now I only have a few, and I have already linked them to the main table.

What I can't figure out is why the images display fine on the report when printed locally, but not when opened on the web.
      Maryland

Comment

Did you publish the files? - are they on the server? - and if so are they in the correct folder? - write a small grid to check.
        Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
        Albert Einstein, (attributed)
        US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Pete I had NOT published them to the server, although I have now, and still nothing. The pictures are stored in the "images" folder, by the way.

Since the report is actually a function of the desktop side of A5, I honestly didn't think that it would make a difference if the images had been published or not, although I realize it is necessary if the images are to be viewed over the web in a grid.

If you have any other suggestions of things I should check, I'm all ears.
          Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hartnett View Post
            What I can't figure out is why the images display fine on the report when printed locally, but not when opened on the web.
            Because the image file paths are full paths, local to your dev machine, rather than relative paths.

Comment

I had similar problem and it was related to the paths from the point of view of the intranet and the internet. Whe i first made the program i had put a path for my pictures such as //server1/docs/pictures/ which is accesible from the intranet. But from the internet the access to the same document is something like http:\\mywebserver\pictures\
              I hope this help.

Comment

Okay I have solved the problem, although I still don't understand the "why."

I had my images store in a folder within my project. The path was /NCPD/RMS/images. When in there, the images would show up in the report if printed from a desktop, but not over the web in PDF format, and when I created a test grid (as suggested by Pete, good idea by the way), the images would not show up in the web grid either. However, Pete's suggestion revealed that the path the grid was looking for, was BHPD/DailyLog/images, which was really odd, because I don't have an "images" folder in that project.

I put a few images in the "that" folder (BHPD/DailyLog/images), and sure enough, they showed up everyplace. The problem is, I didn't want them in there, I wanted them to stay with the correct project. I kept playing around with it, and finally got it to work by creating the images folder in the /NCPD/project, but not any deeper. So now the images are in /NCPD/images, and they work fine.

I still don't know why the system kept defaulting to the BHPD project, although it is the first (alphabetically) of many project folders I have on this server, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the suggestions.
                Maryland

Comment

Well done.

It's the old "never Give Up" process.
                  Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

I kept at this, it was a bug - Jerry has now advised the following.

Peter

We had added a fix and it should be in the next release build. You can now have the same image in the grid and detail without any problems. If you use image file reference fields, we also found a problem. If you didn't specify an alias for the image path in the component, the system might not find the linked image if it was in the database folder or a subfolder under the data. The system now will add the alias to the database folder as a default. If you specifed a full path in the image file reference, that will still work.

Jerry Brightbill

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                      I kept at this, it was a bug - Jerry has now advised the following.

Peter

We had added a fix and it should be in the next release build. You can now have the same image in the grid and detail without any problems. If you use image file reference fields, we also found a problem. If you didn't specify an alias for the image path in the component, the system might not find the linked image if it was in the database folder or a subfolder under the data. The system now will add the alias to the database folder as a default. If you specifed a full path in the image file reference, that will still work.

Jerry Brightbill
                      Great news! I had wondered why there were problems with our news pages until I realised it was to do with the same image being used twice in a grid.

Comment

I don't see that this fixed anything. I still cannot get an image to appear in a PDF report when run on a WAS server. It works at localhost, not on the server. Has anyone made this work?
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

I'll take a look - also is it just me or has the Print Genie disapeard in the latest patch? (In the dialog builder)

Comment

Yep it works...

http://117.74.99.4/wt_ozsaver/web_sample.a5w

The above is a report that has a field called image from a table. The images in the image reference field are located in the:
                            webroot\Project_Name.WebProjects\default.WebProjects\images\banners

Comment

I get an error when I run the report, but I believe you. Can you just send me the table/report/dialog involved in this. I can't get it to work and its a vital last step of a near complete project.
                              Steve Wood
                              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                              X