Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Email Button on a Web Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email Button on a Web Page

How do i put a button on one of my a5w web pages that will a email a report. On the desktop i can create the script, not sure how to utilise that into a button on my web application. Thanks

Re: Email Button on a Web Page

First you save the report the way you would with any other report on the web.

Then look at smtp_send() and it's related functions for the email code. Just attach the report.

With a bit of Searching on this board, I'll bet you'll find some examples.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by akmackenzie View Post
      How do i put a button on one of my a5w web pages that will a email a report. On the desktop i can create the script, not sure how to utilise that into a button on my web application. Thanks
      Search the help files or the sample web app pages in the sample & tutorial databases in Alpha5 - there are several examples of web dialogs and a5w pages that do just that...

Comment

Thanks for your replies, iv got something on the go, however every time i push the button it comes up with this error:

MAPI Error - One or more unspecified errors occured. No message was sent.
        (MAPI_E_FAILURE)

I presume it has something to do with my email settings, i checked and everything seems ok, iv set it to use the inbuilt alphafive emailer, it was working before when i first used the email client a while back (using these same settings)

Any help is appreciated

Comment

The built-in Alpha email client does not exist in a web application. You might show the exact code you are using.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

I initially put a button on the actual report which when clicked would send it as an attachment, but soon scraped that idea, so i have now created a dialog to send the attached report. I am trying to use the email_stmp_close as Steve suggested, i think im way of with this code tho:

If CurrentForm.Controls.RadioButton = "1" then

DIM ps as P
            DIM pm as P
            pm.from = "[email protected]"
            pm.from_alias = "Andrew Mackenzie"
            pm.subject = "New Requisition Order"
            pm.message = "Please see attached a new requisition order to be processed"
            pm.attachments = <<%str%
            "INSERT REPORT LOCATION HERE"
            %str%
            'optional header fields
            pm.lRelated = .F.
            ' send message
            IF email_smtp_open(ps, "mail.alphasoftware.com")
            email_smtp_send(pm, ps)
            END IF
            Email_smtp_close(ps)
            end if

Thanks Again

Comment

Looks OK to me...

As long as the report has been created first, of course!

Comment

Originally posted by NoeticCC View Post
                Looks OK to me...

As long as the report has been created first, of course!
                Well thats what i thought, but when i press submit on the dialog, i dont get the email with the attachment.

I think it might have something to do with this line maybe:

Or maybe the codes in the wrong area, its in the aftervalidate event...

Comment

I think it might have something to do with this line maybe:

Hm yes, you will need to use the address of YOUR SMTP server not the alphasoftware one (unless you have an account there!)...

Plus most need a port (default 25), username & password too...

Comment

Ye thought so thanks,

So one last question...how do i substitute the (mail.alphasoftware.com) for my address, im using mozilla thunderbird, is it the SMTP (outgoing) address then where do i insert username password etc into the code

thanks

Comment

Ye thought so thanks,

So one last question...how do i substitute the (mail.alphasoftware.com) for my address, im using mozilla thunderbird, is it the SMTP (outgoing) address then where do i insert username password etc into the code

thanks
                      It's the outgoing one..

it's email_smtp_open(ps,smtp_server_out,25,user,password)

(If 25 if the port you use)

For debugging it might help to put the following after email_smtp_close(ps)

file.from_property("C:/a5Data/PATH_YOU_WANT/pm.txt",pm)

Any errors with sending etc. will show up in there - alternatively copy the code into the code editor and use showvar(pm) to view the contents...
                      Your email client doesn't matter.

Comment

Thanks Andrea
                        hate to dwell on this but heres my code now

If CurrentForm.Controls.RadioButton = "1" then

DIM ps as P
                        DIM pm as P
                        pm.from = "[email protected]"
                        pm.from_alias = "Andrew Mackenzie"
                        pm.subject = "New Requisition Order"
                        pm.message = "Please see attached a new requisition order to be processed"
                        pm.attachments = <<%str%
                        "C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew3\My Documents\My Pictures\Electroflow E.jpg"
                        %str%
                        'optional header fields
                        pm.lRelated = .F.
                        ' send message
                        IF email_smtp_open(ps, 'my outgoing smtp address' , 25, andrewmackenzie, 'my password')
                        email_smtp_send(pm, ps)
                        END IF
                        Email_smtp_close(ps)
                        end if

(using the jpg as an example)

The errors i keep getting are 'variables not found' such as

Variable 'my password' not found or variable andrewmackenzie not found
                        Last edited by akmackenzie; 08-11-2008, 09:03 AM.

Comment

The errors i keep getting are 'variables not found' such as

Variable 'my password not found' or variable andrewmackenzie not found
                          you need to put any strings (words) in " for it to work, otherwise it thinks it's the name of a variable...

Also try just getting the email to work WITHOUT an attachment... might be easier than trying to do it all in one go

Comment

Ok tried with no attachment and with " around the strings, now the error im getting is

Errors in: event.AfterValidate code:
                            Variable is of different type

Which variable?

Comment

Ok tried with no attachment and with " around the strings, now the error im getting is

Errors in: event.AfterValidate code:
                              Variable is of different type

Which variable?
                              I hate that error message!!! ;)

Can you paste the full code as it stands please?

Comment

Working...
                              X