Alpha Video Training

Thread: Amyumi driver on 64 bit machine will not install

VAR
    Real Name
    Mike Reed

Default Amyumi driver on 64 bit machine will not install

I am doing some testing on trying to get Alpha Five version 9 to install on Virtual Server with 1and1.com.
    I have the server set up and running, Alpha Five is installed, but the Aymuni PDF driver will not install.

The server is Windows Server 2003 64 bit. I have installed and uninstalled Alpha Five and I have also run the InstallAmyuniPrinters.exe file in the program directory as well. All I get is a an error that says this:

Windows XP/2003 64bit AMD Install
    Printer setup failed
    Error Code 1722
    the RPC server is unavailable

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    mike
    Mike Reed
    Phoenix, AZ

Real Name
    Jack DeBoer

Default Re: Amyumi driver on 64 bit machine will not install

I have same computer with no problem. I do not have it set up as a Virtual Server with 1and1.com, so I am guessing that may be where the problem is. Sorry could not help more.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Andrew Schone

"the RPC server is unavailable"

This message is referring to the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service. Which is used to "Provides the endpoint mapper and other miscellaneous RPC services"

Typically this service has a startup type of Automatic.

Check your running running services and verify that it is currently started.

I currently do not have a copy of 2003 64 bit edition, nor do I have access to a 1and1.com virtual server so your mileage may vary.

I do know that the 64 bit vista and 2008 editions require that all drivers are digitally signed before they can be installed (this requirment is different from the 32 bit versions). If you find that your RPC service is running, I would next look into the issue of a signed/unsigned driver (I am not for sure if the 64 bit version of 2003 requires the drivers to be signed or not)

With the 64 bit edition you are unable to run 16 bit applications. While the actual application is 32 bit, alot of issues have come up where the installer for the application is written in 16 bit, thus causing issues. But I believe your error message would be different if that was case. Just wanted to point that out, rather have too much info than not enough.
    Last edited by aschone; 08-14-2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: edit to add information about 16 bit installers

VAR
    Real Name
    Mike Reed

The problem is only partially solved. The RPC error means that the print spooler service was not started on the server. It was set for manual, not automatic. After it was running, then the driver would install and all appeared to be good.

But not so, even though it would get installed, the none of the options to print to PDF, RTF, TXT or HTML would work. The Alpha Five Printer was available, etc and the printing would start but ultimately would hang up and the printing process would never complete.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it must be the 64bit Windows 2003 server system as the culprit. In any event, I cancelled the VPS for 1and1 and try another. As Andy mentioned it may well be the digital signature stuff.

Thanks for the comments

mike
    Mike Reed
    Phoenix, AZ

Real Name
    Jack DeBoer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it must be the 64bit Windows 2003 server system as the culprit. In any event, I cancelled the VPS for 1and1 and try another. As Andy mentioned it may well be the digital signature stuff.

mike
    This is the OS I am using and do not have a problem with it, so I do not think the OS is the problem. You might try doing a complete removal of alpha, even go in registry and remove all instances of Alpha and try again.

After thinking about this. I started with V8, then upgraded to v9, this may be why I have no problem.

Real Name
    David Martin

I know this is an old thread but was having this problem and figured I would put down how I fixed it.

Did a Google search for "amy uni rpc 1722" which found this page:

http://www.amyuni.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=776

Which got me looking at my Services ... had to switch RPC and Print Spooler from manual to Automatic AND start them.

It installed fine after that ...

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    James A. Talbott, Jr.

Thanks David,
    This helped with an issue we were having.
    Your posting shows how important it is to share solutions.
    Thanks for giving back.
    Jay
    Jay Talbott
    Lexington, KY