Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Licensing Questions

"Certified" Alphaholic Keith Hubert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Hubert

Default Re: New Licensing Questions

Richard,

That is great news, well done.

Please keep me informed as to how and when this will be rolled out.

I am at this time in communication with the University of Westminster, Business School.

Recently I helped a student from Imperial College London, she had bought A5V9 to help get their project completed before the end of her semester. She was up against the deadline.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

VAR
    Real Name
    John Lemisch

"The people to whom you distribute your application do not need to have Alpha Five installed. (It's also ideal for creating demo or trial versions of your commercial software.)"

does anyone know what DOES get installed, or how this works, and can you use the control for number of users?

thanks,
    John Lemisch

Real Name
    Jean-Leo Vandal

Hello to all,

I am very confused about Runtimes and licenses of distribution from Alpha Five. I am a 64-year-old pensioner, and I create data bases for my pleasure and my health (I'm creating a database which contains the nourishing values of more than 5 000 foods).

If I wish to share free of charge my data bases with friends who have not Alpha Five, who know nothing in the creation of database and who have no interest to learn it, does I have to buy at first a $699 Runtime to be able to do it. My incomes as pensioner are rather weak and 699 $ represent for me a big sum of money. Please reassure me.

Jean-Leo

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Jean-Leo,

I would check pricing and call alpha sales. I believe they have a single user runtime that could be a lot less money for your kind of use. That was spoken of earlier in this thread.

I do not know current pricing and there may be a special pricing I am not aware of.

Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Somehow I had not connected that this was for run engines as well. That IS great!

Bill.

Real Name
    Jean-Leo Vandal

Hello to all,

I am very confused about Runtimes and licenses of distribution from Alpha Five. I am a 64-year-old pensioner, and I create data bases for my pleasure and my health (I'm creating a database which contains the nourishing values of more than 5 000 foods).

If I wish to share free of charge my data bases with friends who have not Alpha Five, who know nothing in the creation of database and who have no interest to learn it, does I have to buy at first a $699 Runtime to be able to do it. My incomes as pensioner are rather weak and 699 $ represent for me a big sum of money. Please reassure me.

Jean-Leo

Real Name
    Jean-Leo Vandal

Thank you very much Dave for the answer. Do I will have to buy a Runtime for every copy of my database which I give to my friends?

Jean-Leo

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Quote Originally Posted by John Lemisch View Post
    "...do not need to have Alpha Five installed. ..."

does anyone know what DOES get installed, or how this works, and can you use the control for number of users?
    I think what they mean is that the end user does not have to own an RT. But obviously, you the developer, are providing the user with an RT along w. your application - which the end-user must then install.

Real Name
    Keith Hubert

Hi Jean-Leo,

No you not need to buy a separate runtime for each of your friends. You can buy a single user runtime and distribute your application to your friends with that.

The information regarding runtime is quite clear on that.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

I can't believe that Bill, Richard, and me were all up "Alphaing" at 3:30 AM!!!

OK - if I read this correctly, this replaces the original "run engine" distinction, where you were buying seats, etc. I checked with Theresa, and if her info was correct, for 295 I can upgrade my 20 user regular runtime to I guess the platinum/runengine - so I can do anything with it that I could have done had I originally bought the "run engine" version. I have the V9 Platinum development version, so I guess I'm ok, there.

It sounds like I also would no longer be limited to 20 users, too?

Sorry, if I'm wrong about this, but have pity on Jack Benny 'n me - we both turned 39 a few months ago.
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Richard,

I applaud your venture with a University. May I suggest many MANY Universities and colleges. Do whatever it takes.

Can you imagine a hundred thousand students graduating in a couple years armed with alpha and the strentgh of conviction that only comes with youth and landing in the corporate world. And the next year more and the next year more.

I agree with keith, give it to them with a token price. What does Microsoft charge the schools for access??? How about the students??? Surely there is a plan about this

Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Anyone remember when IBM virtually gave away their clocks free (was in the 50's I think.) Everywhere you went you saw the name IBM.
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by martinwcole View Post
    Anyone remember when IBM virtually gave away their clocks free (was in the 50's I think.) Everywhere you went you saw the name IBM.
    That would be prior to the memory of those who have just turned 39.... ;)
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Jean-Leo Vandal

Thank you Peter and Keith for your knowledge.

Keith, you told me that I can distribute my application to all my friends with only a single user runtime. If that is the case, then can you tell me the difference between:

1 - a single user runtime at 499 $;
    https://www.alphasoftware.com/shop/a...um_newuser.asp

and :

2 - an unlimited distribution license at $699
    (I read this in a Newsletter from Alpha Software "Alpha Five V9 August Specials")

Jean-Leo

Real Name
    Keith Hubert

Hi Jean-Leo,

Here is the text from the Runtime Licence, conditions of use.
    Packaged Applications
    Definition: A "packaged" (i.e. off-the-shelf) application is an application that is sold either entirely, or largely "as is" to multiple customers.

The Runtime program may be freely distributed with a "packaged" application.

Example: A developer creates a product called "ABC Dry Cleaner Manager" aimed at dry cleaners. The developer wishes to sell this application "as is", or largely "as is" to multiple dry cleaners.

The developer purchases a Runtime license and now has the right to distribute his application along with the Alpha Five Runtime to an unlimited number of dry cleaners. Each customer (i.e. dry cleaning establishment) can install the Alpha Five Runtime on an unlimited number of machines within their organization. The number of users within each dry cleaning establishment who can concurrently use the application is limited by the type of Runtime license that the developer purchased. For example, if the developer purchased a 3-user Runtime license, then a maximum of 3 users within any organization can use the application at once.

Note: The developer might have his own license scheme that limits the number of users to less than this maximum.

Later, this developer creates a new "packaged" product called "XYZ Auto Repair Shop Manager" that is aimed at Auto Repair Shops. The developer can use his existing Runtime license to distribute the Alpha Runtime along with his "packaged" application to an unlimited number of Auto Repair Shops.

The key point in this example is that each organization into which the developer sells his "packaged" application is not required to purchase their own Runtime license. There is no limit on the number of "packaged" applications that the Developer can create using his Runtime license.
    I dont make the rules or the prices. I just use the software because its' good.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

Real Name
    Jean-Leo Vandal

Hi Keith,

Now, I understand everything. I believed that the term " 3 -user Runtime license" meant that I could distribute only 3 copies of my application. If I understood well, it is not me who are limited to distribute 3 copies, it is rather my friends who are limited to the installation of 3 copies. This means that with a license for 3 users, I can limit my friends to install only 2 copies of the application, a copy on their desktops and a copy on their portables for instance. Is it exact?

You know, I am a beginner with Alpha Five and moreover, I am French Canadian. The English terms used by Alpha Five are not always easy to understand for me. If I use the software, it is because I believe as you do, that it is an excellent software and moreover, I find it pleasant to use.

Thank you for your help,
    Jean-Leo

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Jean-Leo

Please be dure you get a runtime license and not the run engine. The run engine will give access to sql, but you would need one licence for each installation. It may be as cheap to get a 3 user and know you guys have already discussed it to some degree.

A cll to sales may help you greatly to get the BEST price for ONLY what you need.

Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Alpha Software Employee Richard Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Rabins

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Parker View Post
    Somehow I had not connected that this was for run engines as well. That IS great!

Bill.
    That is correct Bill - the unlimited distribution licenses supports .dbf and active links against any SQL backend.

Basically you build your Alpha Five app or (multiple apps) and then you can distribute it to whomever as much as you want both in a multiuser and single user environment
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

VAR
    Real Name
    John Lemisch

What patches are to be applied when this is purchased?
    Does anyone know, and are they available?

Real Name
    Jean-Leo Vandal

[QUOTE=DaveM;468222]Jean-Leo

Please be dure you get a runtime license and not the run engine. The run engine will give access to sql, but you would need one licence for each installation. It may be as cheap to get a 3 user and know you guys have already discussed it to some degree.

Hello Dave,

Thank you very much for the advice. According to the information that I received from you and from Keith, I believe that the best choice for me is a runtime license for one user.

Jean-Leo

Real Name
    jon larson

What would be the upgrade path for a previously-deployed package? For example,

I have a 20 user/seat license. My client began at 10 users. Using the new throttling feature, I have responded to client's new-user requests and the client is now maxed out at the 20user/seat level.

Does the application have to be rebuilt to allow for 21+? What would be necessary to upgrade the client to 21+ ???

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Russ Boehle

Wow, That's a big win for you. Now for the rest of the universities out there.

Congratulations,
    Russ

Real Name
    Barry Kucher

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    It is what was needed. It will help a lot in future decisions. Wish I could partake in the 699 price, but just not in the budget right now. Hopefully, there will be another special down the road. Car business is not the best at this point.

Dave, Not that I am looking in your pocket, but if you previously purchased a V9 Platinum 5 or 10 user run engine, Alpha will apply what you paid for that license towards the $699 price. I purchased a full bundle and they gave me credit off the $1099 price.

This is a great way for developers to worry about the code, not the licensing...Alpha ALWAYS comes thru in the end. It just takes them a little while to get there.

---------------------------------------------------
    Barry Kucher
    http://www.411tech.org

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by John Lemisch View Post
    What patches are to be applied when this is purchased?
    Does anyone know, and are they available?
    It is the Run-Engine. The user count is 9999.

VAR
    Real Name
    John Lemisch

thanks, Bill

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Michael Humby

Richard,

If we create out install programs using third party software e.g. Astrum, then when we ship our Runtime applications do we still have to load licence numbers into the users registry? If so which licence number?

Michael

Real Name
    Keith Hubert

Hi Michael,

You can create a text file to hold the Licence No which Alpha will use instead of creating a registry entry.

See the Runtime help file.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert