Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

New Licensing Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Licensing Questions

Richard

The new unlimited version is very good news. If this had been available when a5v9 first appeared I would have bought it straight away. Now, due to the UK/US exchange rate, it is out of my range and budget at the moment, but as soon as I can afford it I shall be buying.

I would hope that many people who didn't buy because of the original licensing costs for v9 will now be encouraged to buy.

Chris
    If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mills View Post
      I want to congratulate Alpha for coming to the decision of offering this much needed package. I bought it today !!!
      Seconded, great move!!! :)

Comment

We've been holding out for a long time, but with the new licensing, I just cut a P.O. for ver 9.

Thanks, Richard!:)

Comment

Richard,

Of anything out there with anything near the capabilities of Alpha. This is a trump rivaling the first company that came ot with rebates in the automobile industry in 1973.

This should make Alpha 5 the most desirable of all the companies out there.

Now one can make an application and deploy it universally without a hassel and no problem with massive costs.

I too applaud this decision!

I will get the Runtime as soon as the funds are available!

Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
            Richard,

Of anything out there with anything near the capabilities of Alpha. This is a trump rivaling the first company that came ot with rebates in the automobile industry in 1973.

This should make Alpha 5 the most desirable of all the companies out there.

Now one can make an application and deploy it universally without a hassel and no problem with massive costs.

I too applaud this decision!

I will get the Runtime as soon as the funds are available!

Indeed, very very pleased with this, and even with the full $1298 price, or $1897 for Dev+RunEngine+WAS it's way cheaper than other RAD tools such as PowerBuilder (especially since last time we enquired, you only get a quote for the Sybase/PowerBuilder app server once you tell them your specs and you have an app ready, which could be a really nasty surprise!), yet Alpha is FAR easier to use.

I must say though that thanks to so many of the PowerBuilder developers now working for Alpha, I (who never got any training in PB and just had to jump in at the deep end straight out of college!) finally *get* PB ;)

Comment

Another Win Back here, I worked with A5 since version7 but had halted new development with it as the new licence was unworkable for me.
              I'm glad Alpha listened to the feedback and I purchased a new licence yesterday
              Thanks Guys:) More developers using your product is what you need and this is the way to get them.

Comment

Hi,

How many users can this "New Desktop Unlimited license" be used for?

Or is this just for single user applications?
                Regards
                Keith Hubert
                Alpha Guild Member
                London.
                KHDB Management Systems
                Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Keith.

My email said multiple aps and unlimited users. Pretty simple?? That is waht a real runtime should be.

Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Dave,

So then why are there all the different runtimes for sale in the Alpha shop?

Is this a one off purchase for a runtime that will run all Platinum built applications regardless of the number of users for each application?

I think we need to be very sure about this. Why are all the other runtimes still going to be available for sale.
                    Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Does this mean that you have discontinued Runtimes and Run Engines?

A: No. Those products are still available
                    Regards
                    Keith Hubert
                    Alpha Guild Member
                    London.
                    KHDB Management Systems
                    Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Keith,

I suspect they already have them built and I further suspect some of them will get real inexpensive real soon.

My idea ( probably ain't so):

within 30 days:

a single user runtime 99.99
                      a single user runengine 199.99
                      a 3 user runtime 249.00
                      a 3 seat run engine 349.00
                      or less>>>
                      etc.

That would take care of the little guys with a 2-3-4 computer office that does their own alpha. Any serious programmer will go for the big one every time and that is good business.

Now a corporate can get sql, basic(to them), all the reports, all the functionality of much more expensive programming environments with the savings of fewer programmers and less time to complete a project. Don't kid your selves, Alpha is after the corporate client and the corporate client does do their own programming in a lot of cases. A board can now direct the programmers to use alpha and have all the reasons so far that alpha was thrown back at the members before now handled. SQL, SPeed, Ease of programming, security, ManyMany user ability, Web&server ready, quicker completion schedules.

I do so wish they would get it into the colleges and universities as a tool for learning database programming.

Hey, I may apply at some corporations for a programming job.

Well, it is fun to guess, but they have to price where it is feasible to do and I have no idea of their costs or overhead per unit. I also do not know sales numbers at Alpha. I am very good at business math, but without the base knowledge, only guesses come out.

I do think they did it as a great business decision and it happens to benefit some of us too. That IS how I think I would have planned it.

'this is like what I got:::

With the new Alpha Five v9 Unlimited Distribution License, once you have built your application in Alpha Five v9 Platinum you can:

Distribute your applications freely with no restrictions
                      Make an unlimited number of copies of your application, including trial or demo copies
                      Develop an unlimited number of applications (each with an unlimited number of copies)
                      Thanks to all of you who completed our survey. (Yes, we really do take this stuff seriously!)

Your feedback told us that you felt that Alpha Five V9 was the ultimate tool for building web and desktop applications. You also told us that that you wanted a low cost, unrestricted and simple way to distribute an unlimited number of custom Alpha Five applications that you create.

As a result of your input, we are delighted to introduce the new Alpha Five v9 Unlimited Distribution License for deploying desktop applications.

For one low price � with the new Alpha Five v9 Unlimited Distribution License, you can distribute as many applications as you like - for as many people as you like. The people to whom you distribute your application do not need to have Alpha Five installed. (It's also ideal for creating demo or trial versions of your commercial software.)

The Unlimited Distribution License works for both SQL and non-SQL desktop applications. It does require that you first develop your application using a copy of Alpha Five V9 Platinum Edition. (If you already have Alpha Five V9 Standard, you can upgrade to V9 Platinum without having to modify anything.)

enough said from me though
                      Last edited by DaveM; 08-15-2008, 08:38 PM.
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Dave,

It is interesting that Richard and Selwyn, on the face of it, listen to the comments from the Forum.

I'm sure they have heard these two comments, many times but are worth repeating.

I do so wish they would get it into the colleges and universities as a tool for learning database programming.
                        Give me the boy until the age of seven, I will give you the man.
                        Think; Why do companies ask for applicants with Access skills? Because they cant use it them self and they know that is what they were taught to use at college and university. Now they have an app done with Access and they need to expand or replace that member of staff, so the circle is created.

I say give them a better tool to work with. Give them Alpha 5 !!! Yes Give them, (Special version to be used in leaning enviroment) create the supply and there will be a demand.
                        Last edited by Keith Hubert; 08-16-2008, 01:18 AM.
                        Regards
                        Keith Hubert
                        Alpha Guild Member
                        London.
                        KHDB Management Systems
                        Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

since the offer is for "Desktop Applications," what would I be getting that I don't already have in my 20 user regular runtime? anyone know?
                          Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                          972 524 8714
                          [email protected]

Comment

21+ users. :)

Comment

the runtime that you refer to Martin is for .dbf files only

the new Unlimited Distribution Licenese supports .dbf AND SQL data (active link - full read/write)

thanks
                              Richard Rabins
                              Co Chairman
                              Alpha Software

Comment

Re Keith Hubert's comment about Universities and Learning Institutions.

We have recently reached agreement with the State Univ. of Minnesota whereby they will be using Alpha Five as the basis for teaching database and application development skills.

The key factors in their decision are

1) Desktop and Web Capabilities
                                2) Strong support for SQL
                                3) The ability for students to get complete projects completed in a semester
                                vs using PHP or .NET

We will be issuing a press release soon on this and outline the special licensing arrangements for Universities/Learning Institutions who want to use Alpha Five for teaching.

Thanks
                                Richard Rabins
                                Co Chairman
                                Alpha Software

Comment

Working...
                                X