Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

WAS

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WAS

dim t2 as Y

t2 = ctot("12:40")

? t2

t2 = t2 - 60

? t2

i tested this and i tested the following

dim t2 as Y

t2 = t2 - 60

? t2

both the times in all the PCs, in both version8 & version9,
    in both IE & FireFox,

the result is a blank screen.. meaning is what? is it working?
    of course i said not working.. if it is working i should get the values that are converted into time

12:40:00 00 pm12:39:00 00 pm
    or just
    12:39:00 00 pm
    in the 2nd trial

not just the blank screen..

Comment

Blind, Lying; you really like to lay this stuff on don't you? What's coming next?

In reviewing what I think was your original post, I took the first example, which was a Date Time example because it matched your question, which was

Result as T = Operand1 as T - Seconds as N

T being a DateTime variable.

But anyway, when I place the following in an xbasic block on a A5W page, I get a proper result (I only slightly enhanced the code to add some descriptive text).

Code:
      dim t2 as Y
      ?"original time: " + t2 + "<br>"
      t2 = t2 - 60
      ?"new time.....: " + t2

And I get:

original time: 12:40:00 00 pm
      new time.....: 12:39:00 00 pm
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

:) dude, if you can't read the full post, and you think something of your own in the middle, is it my problem? :)

anyway, i don't want to talk about it.. now let me see what you have given here is working or not..

Comment

:) that works.. BUT

dim t2 as Y

?t2

t2 = t2 - 60

?t2

try only this, exactly what has been given..
          no personal enhancements..
          this is what alpha5 has given in the help file and then let me know the result..

Comment

:) why Quiet?

getting blank screen right?

so whose problem is this? my problem? or a bug in alpha5?
            if not a bug, is it called directing the users and learners in the wrong way with that example?

which one is true.. we are not here to blame alpha5, but..
            if there is something wrong, we have to accept it and we need to correct it, not to retaliate and blow off the users as if you are the only guys loves this forum and as if you are the only guys who knows professionalism,respect and caring..

we don't want you all to spend your valuable time for doing our job and solve our problems but we expect that you all will consider everyone's problem as a problem.. We are not just simply coming here to right some nonsense, we are coming here to let the others know what the problem is and to share the views and ideas..

If have a chance, i hope the help file will change next time or the bug will be solved in the next patch file.. :) all the best to alpha5 & its team..

Comment

And here is the answer, even though I know you will blame and/or Alpha for the failing. You need something to enhance slightly otherwise "type Y" variable will not show up in a browser. The same goes for DateTime variables, they show up blank too.

So this works as well as what I posted earlier:

delete t2
              dim t2 as Y
              ?convert_type(t2,"C")
              t2 = t2 - 60
              ?convert_type(t2,"C")

It's converting the type Y in to a character value, which can be expressed in a browser. The first line is only because I had previously dimed that variable as T, and it would retain that unless deleted.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

I will add that the examples of code are almost all based on using the Interactive Mode, which is desktop side. In that mode, the code works exactly as expressed in the Help. Many examples do not translate exactly. Some say Desktop Only in the comments, but with some tweaking will work in a browser also. I doubt that the Help says anywhere that Type Y or DT will not be visible in a browser, but that would be something that comes with experience. I did not know, going in, that Type Y did or did not show, I had never even used the Time Subtraction or ever knowingly dimmed a variable as Type Y, but because the values did not show, I took the next step, based on my understanding of how Alpha works, and converted them to something I do know works.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

that is so nice of u.. anyway, thank you very much for looking into the problem, and this final and useful explanation..and so that at least few of the forum users will now know about how to get the time subtraction thing to work.. this is what exactly anybody expect from a forum, nothing else.. not the personal attacks or anything..

what u said is absolutely correct, u'll get more from the software as long as you have more understanding on how it works.. in this regard i accept with all my heart that you are very very strong and have in depth knowledge in alpha5 than me.. we just tried to use this lines of code when we didn't see the "desktop applications only".. so we thought it works in both the web and desktop apps..

and because of your interference, today we got the result, otherwise this would have been a mystery for us and future users of "time subtraction" forever..

Comment

Nobody personally attacked you. You personally attacked and insulted me and others between two recent posts. In my opinion, your behavior is not something anyone should have to tolerate here on this forum. I did not help you because it is my job to do so, but because it's just what I do. But I told you this was very democratic place. So you won't get any assistance from me again.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

You showed an AMAZING amount of patience in dealing with someone, in spite of the attacks on you. You are a better man than I. It is because of people like you that this forum works so well. If this was a monitored forum, I have no doubt that this poster would have been booted.

You are much appeciated here.
                      Thanks
                      Bill
                      Bill Griffin
                      Parkell, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                        Nobody personally attacked you. You personally attacked and insulted me and others between two recent posts. In my opinion, your behavior is not something anyone should have to tolerate here on this forum. I did not help you because it is my job to do so, but because it's just what I do. But I told you this was very democratic place. So you won't get any assistance from me again.
                        :) first of all, nobody said that it is your job to do so.. and coming to the attacks, i started it when i saw the frustration of other users as well as my own. i started it in the other users' request that is being ignored again and again, all of you who started replying and started looking into the problem that we mentioned here, just only after we started criticizing..

if we go on saying please, please, and please god only knows who will reply.. being a professional and a matured man, you just continue with what you are doing irrespective of what others are saying as long as you feel that you are right.. as it is a democratic place, nobody will or can force you to assist us or help us, we didn't survive all this while because of steve or somebody, so we definitely will and can go on our own whether there is an assistance from you or not.. We are not politicians here to talk nicely to get the things done, whatever i said, i said straight to the faces, not like "attitude is contagious" kind of terms.. Like a proverb said "you will get in return for what you have done".. If alpha forum got criticism from some users it is because of its way of operating here, If i or somebody else in future won't get responses for the posts, it is because of what we have said here..

"You can not satisfy everybody, everywhere and every time that you are right", so not a problem if somebody somewhere and sometime said that i am wrong..

coming to "bill" better not to talk much about him, cause they are not worth of it.. if he is someone who talks about forum's issues here, he would have joined this argument earlier, not after the "the end" and throw the words at others.. "IF IT IS A MONITORED FORUM AND PEOPLE ARE BEING BLOCKED FOR SHOWING THE FLAWS IN THE APPLICATION, THEN THAT FORUM WILL GO TO THE DRAIN, NOT THE PEOPLE.. SHOULD REMEMBER THAT ITS THE PEOPLE THAT MAKE ANYTHING A SUCCESS OR FAILURE" If people like bill loves to watch arguments and give comments and opinions of blocking users, soon it will happen.. and i think bill is wise enough to understand that even a monitored forum can not block that user if the user comes back with an alias name.. :) cause yet again its the "PEOPLE" nothing else.. "PEOPLE" created the systems not the systems created "PEOPLE", so "PEOPLE" are always one step ahead of bill's monitored forums.. :) don't worry, i am not some one depends on your assistance, and for that assistance comes into the forum with an alias name.. BLOCK ME BRAVOS, YOU ARE WELCOMED TO DO IT.. :)

but your(steve) assistance and patience is much appreciated in this regard.. thank you very much..

Comment

Originally posted by sendamail View Post
                          :)

coming to "bill" better not to talk much about him, cause they are not worth of it.. if he is someone who talks about forum's issues here, he would have joined this argument earlier, not after the "the end" and throw the words at others.. "IF IT IS A MONITORED FORUM AND PEOPLE ARE BEING BLOCKED FOR SHOWING THE FLAWS IN THE APPLICATION, THEN THAT FORUM WILL GO TO THE DRAIN, NOT THE PEOPLE.. SHOULD REMEMBER THAT ITS THE PEOPLE THAT MAKE ANYTHING A SUCCESS OR FAILURE" If people like bill loves to watch arguments and give comments and opinions of blocking users, soon it will happen.. and i think bill is wise enough to understand that even a monitored forum can not block that user if the user comes back with an alias name.. :) cause yet again its the "PEOPLE" nothing else.. "PEOPLE" created the systems not the systems created "PEOPLE", so "PEOPLE" are always one step ahead of bill's monitored forums.. :) don't worry, i am not some one depends on your assistance, and for that assistance comes into the forum with an alias name.. BLOCK ME BRAVOS, YOU ARE WELCOMED TO DO IT.. :)
                          I would never advocate anyone being blocked for seeking help, pointing out flaws, bugs etc. That is what this forum is for. What I am in favor of is booting people with a huge sense of entitlement that the MUST be helped or they start whining and insulting other people on this board. For the most part, people treat each other here with great respect and appreciation for what they do and contribute.

And as you said "Like a proverb said "you will get in return for what you have done" and I imagine you will get in return what you have done.
                          Bill Griffin
                          Parkell, Inc

Comment

"there will be reactions for my actions"
                            :) i know that and i said that too.. and that is why i got replies too.. and we know your advocacy as well.. "but i am not a politician here"

and i also know that this world is not just a "Bill" or somebody.. like i said "you can not satisfy everyone, every time and everywhere'', specially people with full of EGO who only wants to see appreciation not criticism.. :)

Comment

-Steve
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X