Alpha Video Training

Thread: Expression question

Real Name
    Kathleen Matthews

Default Expression question

Hi there,

I have a problem with a report. Here's the scenario: We built a report that shows Total Production; it's based on the Sales Order Line table. It has a date parameter and shows all items on open sales orders for a specific (transaction) date. We also built Production Line reports. The Production Line is a Custom Field in Inventory attached to each item. The Total Production Report works famously and MOST of the Production Reports work great also. We are having a problem where SOME of the items are not appearing in their appropriate report, even though they have the correct Line # in the Custom Field.

I checked to be sure we are consistent with the way we are populating the Custom Field.

The weird thing is the report is not excluding items completely. It appears to miss items on large Sales Orders, but that same item appears on the report - but the total quantity is short.

Any ideas?

Kathleen

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Default Re: Expression question

Kathleen,
    The Production report I helped you with is NOT based on the transaction date but the due date....unless you changed this filter criteria it very well could be the cause of your problem.

Just a thought and a possibility to consider....if this is not the cause, then it could very well take someone considerable time to figure out the root cause by going through all the records to see how and when they vary.
    Mike

Real Name
    Kathleen Matthews

Mike,

The report was changed from the Due Date to the Transaction Date. They are not consistent with the Due Date and it is being used for something else. They neglected to tell me that until after all 12 reports were built.

Kathleen

Real Name
    Kathleen Matthews

Mike,

We have narrowed the problem down to one Item from one Production Line. At this point I am reasonably sure it is data related. The item in question appeared on 7 sales orders but the report excluded the items from 2 of the Sales Orders. The orders excluded were both very large.

I am going to run this report again at mid point through the day today to see if I can dig a little deeper.

Kathleen

Real Name
    Kathleen Matthews

Good Afternoon Mike & Keith,

Although both of you were kind enough to offer assistance; I solved the problem. After spending about an hour trying (in vain) to figure out some methodology as to why the Qty on Sales Order 14686 was included, but the Qty on SO 14698 was not, I decided to build a brand new report.

Well, the new report works famously - just like all the other reports. Gosh - I just love my job.

Anyway - the week ended with a happy client, so life is good!!

Thanks to both of you for your offers of assistance. I will take rain checks :)

Regards,
    Kathleen

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Good deal Kathleen. There are times like this when it isn't worth figuring out the exact reason, but just being able to figure out how to remedy the problem is enough. You may even find out the reason at a later time.
    Mike