Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Runtime/Run-Engine License Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runtime/Run-Engine License Issue

Yes, I guess this is another question/concern about runtime in Alpha Five Version 9. I have been reading with great interest all the various responses about runtime v-v run-engine. (Only interest is in runtime at this time)

Seems to me (It could only be me) that I have not seen a streaight forward answer to this debate. Why? Is it that difficult to answer.

I selected Alpha Five for a reason. But I am woundering if my decision was the correct one. Other software (we all know pretty much who they are), that has a runtime can be distributed with out having to enter the developers license key. Only someone who purchased the FULL software version should be allowed to purchase the runtime. So the developer can distribute his hard work. Why does Alpha Five require the license key to be entered by the developers end user? Is there specific reason for this and why does Alpha Five have to call home? Is it lost? A simple answer would be nice. Is Alpha Five trying to protect the runtime for some reason? From who? The developer or the user.

At this time I am working (part time) on three projects I would like to distribute. Don't get me wrong, Alpha Five is in my opinion the best database I have used (I have used RBase 5000, Paradox, Access, FileMaker, etc.). Still I keep reading about this runtime license key issue (the key the developer paid for) has to be entered by the end user installing the developers application. It seems to me if a key has to be entered, than the install/setup that is created by Alpha Five should do this behind the scene without the end user and/or developer interface.

I guess until I see a simple straight forward answer from Alpha Five, I need to slow down and evaluate my choice and start looking for a different solution. Maybe Power Basic & Tusinmi (free database DLL). Don't really want to start programming. Using xbasic in Alpha Five is not programming, it's refining.

Enough of my ranting.

Everyone who contributes to this message board... Thank you, you all have been a source of help and insperation. Have a great day/week/month/year.

Re: Runtime/Run-Engine License Issue

Hi Paul,

Welcome to Alpha.

This is a quote from Richard Rabins, posted last week.
    The activation is actually going to be removed in the next patch which hopefully will be out early next week.
    I hope that when Richard has mentioned "activation" he is talking about the "license key".

The "license key" for runtime has been a problem for many developers so we will be pleased to see it go.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Fyi

The runtime allows you to save the license key to a file called license.key so it does not have to be entered by the end user. See the runtime instructions that you receive when you purchase the runtime.

Bypassing the Prompt for License Key
      If you install a file called license.key which contains the license number as the first line in the file, then Alpha Five will not prompt for the license number. It will read the license number from this file, rather than from the Registry.
      Daryl

Comment

Hi Daryl,

Have you managed to create and install a license.key file in a runtime application?

If yes please tell us how you did it.

Many developers have tried and not managed it. That is one of the reasons it has been objected to.
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

This post may help.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...hlight=license

Richard said the license key would be removed in the next patch of the unlimited runtime!

It may be a good idea to go back and download from the original site, so you do not have to install patches for that runtime to be rid of the license key. This is just my opinion.

As a side note: My runtime is always installed into the folder where the app is. That may make it easier for license keys, but I am not sure of that. The runtime came out at a bad monetary time for me or I would test it for you.

Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Keith,

The license.key files goes in the same folder as the alpha5 executable. I have not had any trouble with this arrangement. I use Astrum installer to install the alpha5 files to their folder with the license.key file to that same location and then all my data files go into a sub folder.

Daryl

Comment

How long has this debate been going on?

I have to say I have worked with many database products over the years. I was brought to this because a client specified it for some work I have been using it a month for both a desktop product and web based and I have to say I have found it one of the worst products to start with I have ever used the help files are badly written or non existent they have issued a release version 9 with out giving consideration to Vista ( I know what we are all saying about vista but its out here!!).

Connection of desk top product to the web is one of the first priorities any one should be dealing yet it requires separate coding.

The fact so many users come to this forum asking basic questions should be telling developers of Alpha five to get their fingers out and make it either more intuitive or write some decent help.

Sorry for the rant but having worked and developed software for over 30 years apart from Microsoft releases this has to be one of the worst

Comment

Bernard,

I have Vista Ultimate and have been with Alpha since about 1990 or before. I see no real problem with either. Both have glitches and Alpha is much more responsive to requests for bugs and help. It is not as bad as it was when win95 came out or when Alpha first went windows.

You could have been in my shoes with Clipper when it came time to go to windows and forget the web.

Alpha is trying to give us the ability to go windows or/ and web with as little hassle as possible without killing all the apps previously written for windows.

So far as I know, it is the only real rad that goes as far as it does with NO programming for the beginner and for the price. If you can point out another one, please do.

Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Bernard,

It is a pity that you feel the way you do about this great product.

I have helped many experienced programmers with the ways of Alpha and once they have learned to use this new tool they wished they had known about Alpha years ago.

I did offer to help you, but you never came back to me.

My offer still stands and my number is on my site.
                  Regards
                  Keith Hubert
                  Alpha Guild Member
                  London.
                  KHDB Management Systems
                  Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Keith I only have to read your own comments in the postings above to know that even an experienced users is still having problems in understand the use of the product.

I can appreciate a lot of what Alpha has to offer my comments are directly at the extremely poor standard of documentation and help associated with the product. There are now other products on the market offering very similar results. In the UK you only have to ask why Filemaker has such a hold in educational establishments. Whilst its not as comprehensive as Alpha in what it does its easier for newcommers to use.

Alpha in its present state reminds me of the early days of computing when a group of programmers would get together and support a product without this board and the very keen supporters I have met I seriously doubt if Alpha would a 1/0 of the users.

The company really needs to get its act together.

But many thanks for all the people on this board

Comment

Hi Bernard,

I'm not sure which camp you would prefer to be in? The quote from Abraham Lincoln. "I don't like that man, I must get to know him better", or the quote from the poet John Lydgate, "....you can�t please all of the people all of the time".

Just because you have "...developed software for over 30 years" does not mean you might not need help to learn a new product. At least you acknowledge that Alpha is better than some "Microsoft releases".

I admit that I do not know every thing about all the capabilities of Alpha, that is why I make use of this forum, I dont think anyone does.

I have even seen Selwyn surprised at what developers have done.

Alpha Software have developed a great tool, and like any toolbox some craftsmen which use it will be better than others. We dont all become a Thomas Chippendale or a Michelangelo

I know I have some skills with Alpha whilst other developers are more proficient in other areas, that is why this forum is such a great place to share and learn.

Many products have forums, which means your comments are equal to them too. Because new users ask what you regard as basic questions does not make Alpha Five "one of the worst" for new users.

I agree, that some times the help file could explain things better, but when you say, "The company really needs to get its act together". That neither help you or any one else. Unless that makes you feel better for having said it.

We are all here to help and learn, many people here have given many hours giving that help on this forum. What is so great that even new users like to pitch in when they can.

If you are having some difficulty and would like some help with it, please give us some more information to work with.
                      Regards
                      Keith Hubert
                      Alpha Guild Member
                      London.
                      KHDB Management Systems
                      Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Working...
                      X