Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Field Rule Post Does Not Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Field Rule Post Does Not Work

Bug? Seems significant to me.

Comment

Alan,
      I have not looked at your sample yet but you mentioned
      this makes believe the problem has something to do with the set field values command.
      I have found many times where "Fields--Set Field Values" will not work consistently and so have used "Objects Properties--Set Properties of Object(s)" instead and it has not ever failed.

LATER: Did a bit of looking and notta . Too late to check more--shoulda waited til the morn anyway
      Last edited by MikeC; 09-05-2008, 12:54 AM. Reason: more info
      Mike

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Did you have a chance to test it? Do you see what I mean? I tested it using "Set Object Properties" and it does the same thing for me. It will change Qoh, Price, and calculate Value in the IMU form for the IMU table. It will correctly post Qoh and Price to the IMU_VALUE table. But it will not post the calculated value for the field Value to the field of the same name in the IMU_VALUE table. I posted a script on this thread earlier, that mimics the keystrokes that you would do if you:

1. Placed the from in change.
        2. Activated Qoh and put a number.
        3. Tabbed to Price and put a number.
        4. Saved the record.

It works in every way. Everything changes and gets posted properly. But, I can't seem to figure out why the simple script does not work. I would think that this would be causing some one else a problem.

Thanks again!

Comment

I would think that this would be causing some one else a problem.
          Alan, it's never bothered me because I never uuse a script to assign field values to objects in form layouts in order to have them "posted" to a different table by field rules. If I'm going to the trouble to write a script that assigns field values to one table, I go ahead and write the desired results into the second table using the same script. To me writing the field values to the two tables is more direct and efficient. Assigning field values to objects in a form in order to have the table field rules post them to the second table seems unnecessarily convoluted.

Comment

First, in my particular application it makes since, at least in my mind. The application is for monitoring productivity of warehouse people pulling orders. An order entry person enters the order number and lines to be pulled. These orders are displayed via a embedded browse on a master form. The order puller double clicks on the order and a from opens showing the information about the order. They click a button to set the field value of start time for when they start pulling the order. When they are finished, they do the same thing except now they click a button for stop. Two fields have been updated at this point start and stop. A third field pick time, which is calculated by stop-start is calculated on the order and needs to be added via a post to a field in the pullers record showing the cumulative amount of time the puller has been pulling orders. Seems logical to me. Unfortunately, it does not work.

Secondly, I find no where in any documentation that says you can not do this.

Thirdly, what is the difference, from computer point of view, between me typing the values in and me setting the values with either the set object value or the set filed value commands?

I used xbasic to make changes previously, but I could not consistently reconcile the cumulative pick times in the pickers table to the pick times on the orders. So, I thought I would try a different approach. Unfortunately, that did not work either.

I still think this is a bug.

Comment

Whoa! Did not mean to upset you. Just wanted to answer your question (from my perspective) about why this doesn't seem to be bothering lots of other folks. Sorry.

Comment

I'm not upset. I promise! I apologize profusely for coming across that way. Just wanted to explain my perspective on the situation. I am very, very interested in your thoughts on the subject.

Comment

Ok.

I'll take another look.

1) The btn script does not set the PN value. Is the button only going to be used for a new record. i.e. where the user has begun a new record, assigned a PN, and then pushed the button? Or, is the button supposed to begin the new record, too?

2) What do you want the button to do if the user is not entering a new record, but wants to change the QoH and Price fields using the button?

I'm trying to get the big picture and need to understand the exact sequences you need to behave correctly. The post field rule does different work depending upon whether it's dealing with a new record or changes to an existing record.

Comment

order puller double clicks on the order and a from opens showing the information about the order. They click a button to set the field value of start time for when they start pulling the order. When they are finished, they do the same thing except now they click a button for stop. Two fields have been updated at this point start and stop. A third field pick time, which is calculated by stop-start is calculated on the order and needs to be added via a post to a field in the pullers record showing the cumulative amount of time the puller has been pulling orders.
                    The post field rule fires each time the order record is saved. Unless you're leaving the order record locked (not recommended) it will fire when the order is entered, but not pulled. When the start (pulling) time is entered by the button the post field rule will fire again. And, again when the end (pulling) time is entered. At least 3x if I'm understanding this sequence correctly. Does your calc field return zero if it can't determine the elapsed time? I'm wondering whether the post field rule is the right choice in this scenario. Seems like a lot of unnecessary traffic over the network to me.

I'm curious what is "posted" when start time and end time are both empty?

Next, how does your pick time calc field behave when only the start time is available? I would think it would bark at you because it can't compute the elapsed time without both being available.

Comment

Tom,
                      Before looking at the pick application part, I'm trying figure out why the sample form/button does not work. The principle is the same and less complex on the sample. I don't think the complexity of the pick application is the problem, the logic is the same. In both scenarios I do not want the person pushing "the" button to add a record. I want to set a value. If the sample will work, the other will as well. I can't see the reason why the script attached to the sample button1 does not work. Does my logic not hold true? If you open the default browse for imu and make a change or you manually press the keys, it works as expected. But, if you use the script to automate it does not.

Thanks!!

If you would like me to explain in person, send me a private message with your contact number and I will give you a ring. No problem if you don't.

Comment

Alan,

The "value" property of objects in the current form is not generally available until the record being edited is saved. The "text" property of objects in the current form always reflects the text entered from the keyboard. I'm not sure this explains what we're seeing with your approach, but I think maybe there's a timing problem that's preventing the calc field from being computed in time for it to be posted.

I decided to do a more faithful job of replicating the input sequence that occurs when the Price and QOH fields are entered by hand. My modified script seems to work just fine in limited testing here. Suggest you try to break it and let me know how it goes.

-- tom

Comment

it works, but i can not put the form in design mode to see what the script does.

Comment

Have you opened the database in the runtime by mistake. This happened to me recently and I couldn't fathom what was happening until someone on the board suggested I may have opened it in the runtime.

Comment

Tom, Alan.

Tom am sure you know this but want to say it for Alan and others who may be following the thread.

The Field rules don't fire unless the Qoh (quantiity on Hand) or Price field's OnChange event fires and then saved---which does not happen when setting values with xbasic as is being done....I gave up on many of the simple field rules for this and the fact that Alpha error messages that are inherited with some rules...I still use them but in a very limited way.
                              Mike

Comment

no xbasic. i read where where field rules are not honored by xbasic. only from a form or browse, which is the case. if you look at the sample database, the one form, button1, you will see what I am talking about.

Comment

Working...
                                X