Alpha Video Training

Thread: Cash Activity report

Real Name
    Gary Soltani

Default Cash Activity report

Hi, I’m a new user of QReport Builder, and I’m trying to create a cash register report that will print the individual bank account registers as well as a combined report that will show the total cash position. The report needs to prompt selection of account and date range for the period that the report need to run for. The summary of the key requirement of report is as following:

• Account(s): a drop down widow with option of accounts to be selected, either by group or individually

• Date range: From and Through

• Beginning/Forward Balance: which should be the ending balance from the prior day of starting date range.

• Line items: detail and /or summary of the transactions in group type with subtotals; such as deposits, checks, wires and transfers, adjustments/ JE’s.

• Ending balance: which should be the ending balance of the register for the last day of selected date range.

Any comments or directions as to how to approach in creating this report will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Gary
    Last edited by GarySol; 09-04-2008 at 02:43 PM.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Default Re: Cash Activity report

Hi Gary,
    Without specific questions I can only give general answers/help. One thing for certain is that this report is by no means a basic or simple one---but is definitely doable.

• Account(s): a drop down widow with option of accounts to be selected, either by group or individually

• Date range: From and Through
    I'd use dialog boxes for both of these.

• Beginning/Forward Balance: which should be the ending balance from the prior day of starting date range.
    • Ending balance: which should be the ending balance of the register for the last day of selected date range.
    Using the variables generated from the date range dialog box that is created, these values can be obtained--one likely way to use these values then in the report would be to use subreports as then a separate filter could be used from the rest of the report.

• Line items: detail and /or summary of the transactions in group type with subtotals; such as deposits, checks, wires and transfers, adjustments/ JE’s.
    Just have to determine what tables have the data you desire, create a set, if need be, for multiple tables. The genie can create most of the totals for any grouping wanted, subtotals, grand totals, whathave you.

Note: If a "ton" of records are being refreshed from Quickbooks then a bit more advanced techniques can be used by only bringing over the records and columns that are needed from Quickbooks. This is done usually if a report is to be generated several times during the course of a day and / or the use of "live" data is needed.
    Last edited by MikeC; 09-04-2008 at 09:55 PM.
    Mike

Real Name
    Gary Soltani

Hi Mike,
    Thank you for your comments. I was able to create the date dialog box. However, I’m having difficulty finding the right expression to prompt the account selection. I have tried the following three expressions but none of them are valid.

Account range expression:
    • Accountreffullname = "INVESTMENT INCOME:CNB-Interest Income"
    • Accountreffullname = Var->askC_Account
    • "INVESTMENT INCOME:CNB-Interest Income"

How would I go about creating the drop down account selection?
    Gary

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Gary,
    I don't know how you attempted to create the xdialog box so am at a loss. I just created one on a test database using the "Multi-select List Box", set it to populate via a chosen table, filtered it by specific criteria (accounts containing the word "Labor") and ordered it. I then ran the script, selected two of the choices, and clicked OK. I then went into the interactive editor and put in my variable that was created when first creating the xdialog box with a question mark as prefix and hit the Enter key which will show what the variable contains. In my case it created the crlf list with the two choices I selected.

? vMulti_List
    =IS Labor
    FO Labor

As I stated before, this is not the easiest first report, but with learning and diligence it can be done.

If you have more specific questions I can most likely be of more help.
    Mike