Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A_Case-> in calc expressions on forms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A_Case-> in calc expressions on forms.

I'm having a huge number of problems with A_Case-> showing up "uninvited" in my expressions (calculated fields) in forms.

The big problem is that they can't be removed from some forms! I can delete them from all the calculated expressions, close the expression editor, re-open the expression editor and all looks OK. But, as soon as the form is Saved, all those A_Case-> 'things' come back. Of course, this causes my expressions not to work.

Anybody else seen this or have any idea what's causing it?

EXAMPLE:
    lookupc("F",A_Case->Client_Nof,"Realtorf",A5.Get_Path()+"\Clients.dbf","Client_no_")
    Broker_name = IF(left(A_CASE->Broker_Nof,1)="B",lookupc("F",A_CASE->Broker_Nof,"Brkr_Namef",a5.Get_Path()+"\Brokers.dbf","Broker_No_"),"")

(No, I do not have a table named "A_Case".)

Edit: I just noticed that they all seem to be in IF statements.

Re: A_Case-> in calc expressions on forms.

Hi Cal,

The A_Case.dbf may be un-invited but you do have the tables on your machine.

They are created by Alpha, do a search. They are all over the place. Look in the AlphaSports folder.

Why it gets dragged in I dont know, sorry I cant help better.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Cal,

Maybe you've already seen Tom Cone's response in the following:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ghlight=A_Case

Don't know where he got his information, though. I don't turn up much of anything in the Help files...

Bob

Comment

Hi Cal,

Try changing the expression in the expression line, without popping up the expression editor. See if they get saved properly that way.
        Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
        Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
        New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
        CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
        CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

The "A_Case" has appeared in a few of my forms and reports, which for the most part, have all been built using both calculated fields and regular fields. I have had to go back and insert the correct table name in the equation where the field exists for the calculated or regular field(s).

Example.

Field xyz on a broken form or report: A-Case->SALES1
          and I have to change it to: Mainsales->SALES1
          where "Sales1" field is located in the table "Mainsales"
          Then it functions properly again.

Why it is renamed in the first place is way beyond me. This also never happened when upgrading from 5 to 6 to 7, but is here now in nine for me.

Comment

This is really weird. Today they are all gone and I didn't do anything since writing the original post except shut down my computer for the night.

Before the original post I had already tried Ira's idea. I hadn't tried the idea of using the actual table name because the actual table name was always the parent table of the form and Alpha shouldn't need the table name in that case. I had also tried compacting the database.

Keith - I had checked my application folder and the A_Case table wasn't in there. It is in some of my other application folders. Interestingly enough, it is mostly (but not always) in apps given to me by someone else.

One thing I'm not sure of is whether of not I shut down A5 and restarted it before posting the message. I think I did but I'm not sure - I know I shut down A5 more than once during the day but I'm not sure if I shut it down after finding the problem.

And, just for the record in case someone else runs into this in the future, this is an application that started in v5, got converted to v7, and is now ready (I hope) to be released in v9. (Sound familiar Joe?)

Just for the fun of it I've attached the original listing (.txt file) of all the places it was found (using my app analyzer) and the results of today's search (.png file)

I guess this is one that will have to go in the "Unsolved but who cares - it's working now" file.

Comment

Latest build.

Last week reinstalled Alpha and latest patch.

I am experiencing the same problem and it has cost me lost days of development by thinking I was doing something wrong. The data base I am developing is too large to attach but I created a small db in which I can replicate the A_CASE attaching itself to a calculation.

I am also having problems totaling two embedded browse's on a form. The calculations will only total one browse of the two and not the same one on different records. The form is based on: parent two child tables one-to-many link and is experiencing intermittent A_CASE problems.

Never had this problem before.

Hope someone can see the problem in the attached db.

1. Open the attached db.
              2. Open the Assembly form in design mode.
              3. Read notes.
              4. Open the XY calculation fields from the task bar.

On my system the A_CASE is displayed.

Thanks

Alan

Comment

Update

Found the problem with calc browse totals. One field was setting it's self to zero in field rules with the result that the total was being divided by the zero hence no result.

Wonder if this had something to do with the A_CASE?

Alan

Comment

Cal.. i have seen these too.. they are random and i haven't decided how to fix, or why they have happened either..

is there a way to fix? I've had to go in when i find them and manually fix?

Turning off computer and back on has not worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by programsplus View Post
                    is there a way to fix?
                    I have no idea. It sounds like I just got lucky.

My only other thought is -- compact the database then shut it down and restart it.

Comment

Hi all,

Try this in your interactive window
                      Code:
                      ? table.enum_open("F"+crlf())
                      notice the first two entries are A_case.dbf and A_gloss.dbf, these are to do with the spell checking and speed typing glossary. Strange they should show up in the calculated fields though, unless it is because Alpha is picking the first dbf as a default when no table is specified, probably a bug!

Comment

Submitted bug report

Alan

Comment

Thanks Alan - let us know what they say and if fixed...

Comment

The same thing started today with an application I am working on. Many calculated fields, seems like the same ones, get the A_Case added in front of a field name. I take the out, the get put right back in. I am rebooting my computer to see if the problem will go away.

After rebooting, the calculated fields corrected themselves.
                            Last edited by Alan Lee; 09-11-2008, 09:06 PM. Reason: cause

Comment

Submitted a bug report 9/9 with no response from Alpha. Followed up with another email and still waiting for a response. Will continue to contact Alpha until I get some sort of answer.

When I think about it, I only started to get the A_CASE problem when I installed Microsoft Office last week on my development computer...any takers on this one?

Regards

Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X