Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Trouble printing with Epson 300 printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble printing with Epson 300 printer

My father uses alpha 4 version 6 on a windows 98 se computer.He has been using an epson 760 parallel printer fine for many years.Unfortunately its gone kerput and so has bought an epson 300(old, yes but brand new in box and never used).The printer driver for windows installed perfectly and the printer prints out in windows bob on.But in alpha 4 the printer starts up but it only prints some of the document and leaves big chunks out missing.
    He has tried changing the drivers setting to the new printer but nothing seems to work.When he plugs the other epson back in then alpha 4 defaults to it and works but when putting the epson 300 in the printer part is blank.
    It seems as if alpha doesn't see the printer and hence has trouble printing to it.The Epson 300 is also a parallel printer.
    Do you think it might be a driver issue? or are we doing something wrong?

Any help would be most appreciated.
    Thanks
    John

Re: Trouble printing with Epson 300 printer

John;
    Yes, it probably is a printer driver issue. With A4v6, you have to print in DOS, so you need to select the proper driver. I believe your Epson 300 is an LQ 300. There is, I think, an Epson LQ driver in Alpha4v6.

What you would need to do is set up a "new printer' in A4. From the MAIN MENU, select "Other", then select "Configuration", then "Printer Configuration", then "Create/Edit Printer Configuration". At this point you want to create a new printer configuration, so enter an unused letter "A" or "B" or "C" etc. to create a new one. A list of available DOS printer drivers should then be on your screen. Scroll down to the Epson series of printers (Epson LQ?) and select the appropriate driver.

Hope this works.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.A further update.

In windows the default printer is set as the Epson 300.
      When you connect the other Epson 760 up and without changing the default printer in windows(from 300 to 760) then the 760 just works straight away in Alpha 4.
      This obviously points to a dos driver issue rather than a windows one.

I personally think that Alpha 4 is stuck on the 760 setting and when we plug the 300 in the printer starts to print but because the circuitry is different in the 300 to 760 then it makes a hash of the output.

When i go into the printer settings in Alpha 4 it is set on Epson LQ series.There is no mention of the 760 or the 300.
      I am assuming that the 760 is probably fully compatible with the LQ driver but the 300 is only half compatible.

In another part of Alpha4 it comes to the option of printing out,either to the printer or the screen.In this section you can go to printer configuration and bring up a long list of printers.The Epson 760 and the 300 are listed as options but after selecting the right one the only option is F10 continue.

If you then go back into this page the printer option is blank again.Its as if you need to press a special key to save the setting and without it ,it just forgets what you have set?

I hope all that made sense.
      To recap Alpha4 doesn't see the 300 and only defaults to the 760.
      Any thoughts on why?

If this was windows then it would be a case of installing the correct driver so that windows sees it.
      Is there a dos driver for Epson printers?
      I am not very conversant with 'dos' as i was in my teens when it was out and i had girls on my mind!I should have listened to the teacher more!

Thanks for looking and sorry for such a long post.

Comment

You are going to have to do what Duncan suggests and create your own within Alpha. I checked Epson and they never provided a DOS driver for the 300. I would hazard a guess that the printer codes are somewhat different than your old printer or it would work. The fact that it printed something and then stopped indicates that it is using some of the codes correctly but others not. You would have to see if you can locate the printer codes (by internet searching) and then enter them as Duncan suggests.

A good start is from the Epson FAQ:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...526&foid=35447

This gives you the most common ones.

Update:
        Use the following link to get the PDF of the manual that Epson used to sell for the LQ-300. Starting at page A-10 are the printer codes:

http://www.feedroller.com/Store/Serv...sers_Guide.pdf

HTH
        Doug

Comment

Thanks again for the quick reply.Our printer is an Epson stylus 300 not the older LQ or LX300.
          Those links refer to an older model than ours.

Comment

John;
            I am not familiar with Epson printers, so I really can't suggest any drivers that would be relatively compatible with your Stylus 300. I'm assuming the Stylus is an inkjet model. My suggestions are:
            -- try to find a DOS driver on the net or at the Epson web site which is at least relatively compatible
            -- play with and "tweak" the Epson drivers that came with A4v6 (see my post above)

In either case, it seems like you will have to play around a bit to make things work.

One final alternative, is to upgrade your father's A4 software. If he doesn't want to go to A5 (which is a Windows version and a major change over) he can upgrade to A4 version 8, which is still a DOS product. A4v8 is a really a "gussied up" v6. It appears and works exactly the same as v6. From your father's perspective, its advantages are:
            -- all his data, forms, reports etc. will work exactly as before
            -- it also has the advantage of being able to use windows drivers for printing. As long as he does not use typeset printing, his new Epson 300 should work fine.
            -- if he ever upgrades from Win98 to XP (not sure about Vista), A4v8 works fine. (The problem with v6, is that after Win98, if the database ever needs to be "reconfigured" Win ME, Win 2000, and XP can cause data corruption).

Hope this gives you some viable options. Good luck!

Duncan

Comment

Now I know you said you were young when DOS was around, but the internet era is yours. You did try to search like I did above RIGHT? Anyway, here is the manual, complete with printer codes for the Stylus 300. http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/sty3__/sty3__u1.pdf If you follow Duncans suggestion above to copy an already existing Alpha driver for an Epson printer, then you can fill in the blanks. If it seems too difficult, perhaps his suggestion of upgrading to v8 would be advised.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.Where can i get a copy of a4v8? Can you still buy it or is it obsolete?

I know my father tried version 5 and didn't like it as he said that they didn't have all the features that version 4 had.

So a viable option would be a4v8.I just need to know where to get it.
                Thanks

Comment

Where else? Alphasoftware.com https://www.alphasoftware.com/shop/AlphaFour/

Comment

Working...
                  X