Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Connection string problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connection string problem

I have not been able to create a connection string to the MS AdventureWorks sample database from Alpha v9 Platinum.

In windows services I see that the server is running. In SQL Server Managment Studio Express the server is shown and I can connect to it successfully. Image attached. Everything works fine in SSMSE.

In Alpha when trying to create a connection string, under Server only "(local)" is available. There should be a "T40\SQLEXPRESS", but no.

Any thoughts what is going on?

Bill.

Re: Connection string problem

Bill,

I believe that remote access is turned off by default in Sql Express. I have tried Express a while back and seem to recall having to change a setting in the configuration manager to turn on remote access. Hopefully there are other using SQL Express that might be of more help to you.

Bill
    Bill Griffin
    Parkell, Inc

Comment

I really thought that was it. I made the SQL Browser service automatic (it was disabled). And in Surface Area Configuration I enabled local and remote connections, using both tcp/ip and named pipes. Basically I think I turned everything on.

Reboot.

Alpha still does not see sql server. Turned off Zone Alarm, although it was allowing sql server to act as a server. Same problems.

Should have posted before this image of testing the connection. I don't think this has changed through the various setting changes.

Bill.

Comment

I cannot remember specifically why I decided to move to MySql, but I do remember having difficulty with MS SQL express.

Good Luck
        Bill Griffin
        Parkell, Inc

Comment

Thanks Bill. I am doing a demo of Alpha to the local Access User Group, so I hope I don't have to convince them to switch to MySQL also. :-)

Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Parker View Post
            I have not been able to create a connection string to the MS AdventureWorks sample database from Alpha v9 Platinum.

In windows services I see that the server is running. In SQL Server Managment Studio Express the server is shown and I can connect to it successfully. Image attached. Everything works fine in SSMSE.

In Alpha when trying to create a connection string, under Server only "(local)" is available. There should be a "T40\SQLEXPRESS", but no.

Any thoughts what is going on?

Bill.

if you look at the server name in the management studio logon dialog you see it is called T40\SQLEXPRESS

In the A5 dialog where you create the connection string try typing in the address directly (rather than using (localhost) ) (i.e. type in the name even though it does not appear in the drop down list of available servers).

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks Selwyn,

Yes I tried that before (but not after making changes to browser service, etc.). Just tried again by replacing (local) with T40\SQLEXPRESS directly in the connection string window. Got the same error message when testing the connection string.
              Code:
              {A5API='SQLServer',Server='T40\SQLEXPRESS',UserName='sa',Password='�����㰱�'}
              (oops, forgot to hit Submit)

Bill.

Comment

I have made some progress with help from a new user at our local user group meeting, but still have questions.

The Alpha builder still can't see databases if the connection type is set to "SQLServer". However I can create in Windows an ODBC connection to the sql datasource and Alpha can see that in the connection string builder when the connection type is set to ODBC (vs. SQL Server).

Going the ODBC route it seems that the SQL Server driver must be picked vs. the SQL Native Client. Both generally work, but trying to create a new table in the SQL database from a table that has a memo field fails with "cannot find data type longtext", when the SQL Native Client driver is used. I have not tested this much, so I don't know if there are other conversion problems.

So, do others also use the ODBC approach to connecting, and what are the downsides?

Bill.

Comment

Have made some more progress and actually connected using a connection type of SQLExpress. As usual, a lot of stuff was tested, so I can only guess at the critical fix.

I still have the problem that the server dropdown list never displays my server. I must manually type it in.

I'll dump what I remember, because I have probably already forgotten half in the last hour.

Selwyn said
                  In the A5 dialog where you create the connection string try typing in the address directly (rather than using (localhost) ) (i.e. type in the name even though it does not appear in the drop down list of available servers).
                  I may have misunderstood, but I typed into the box with the full connection string. You must type into the control with the dropdown lookup, and let that populate the connection string dialog. In my case I type
                  T40\SQLExpress

Then clicking the Refresh button on that line may or may not be needed. Next click the Refresh button next to Database and the database list should populate. Pick one and test the connection. You are off and running.

If that gets you going, great. Otherwise read on.

I installed my SQL Server with SQL Server authentication vs. Windows authentication. So I also went into the SQL Server Mgt Studio and made changes to add my windows login. And there was some place I changed the authentication method to look for both windows and sql server authentication (although I think I had done that at install). I had used sql server authentication because my Windows login did not have a strong password. Apparently a strong password is not required under XP. I added the new user in the SSMS object explorer under Security, Logins, right click.

Played with firewalls, etc. but that may not have been a problem. I did add an exception for both sql server and the sql browser. Neither were in the automatic list of apps, so I had to browse to both exes.
                  C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe
                  C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\sqlserver.exe

Remember to enable remote connections as mentioned earlier in the thread.

I would be interested if others have the problem I do with the drop down list of servers not showing when doing a SQL Sever connection type.

Bill.

Comment

I just wanted to say thanks for this post--I had the same trouble and this was the only post I found that helped, so I thought this might bump it up in the list for others who might need it later...

Comment

Working...
                    X