Alpha Video Training

Thread: Search in grid not working - Active Link Tables

Real Name
    Jacques

Default Search in grid not working - Active Link Tables

Hi,

I've got a a5w page containing a grid connected to a active link table.
    Everything is working fine, except for the search function.
    It works when using a value supplied in a drop-down, but as soon as you try and search for text ("contained in") it does nothing.
    I've also found that the sorting stops working from time to time after I tried to search for records using a textbox.

In the past I've always connected using ADO or AlphaDAO without any problems. It's only now that I'm connected to active-link tables (.dbf) that I'm running into problems like these.

Oh yes... I'm trying the active-link connections because I need to use stored procs.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks & regards,

Jacques

"Certified" Alphaholic NoeticCC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Andrea Gill

Default Re: Search in grid not working - Active Link Tables

You should not be able to create a grid on any active link table - web grids can connect directly to any SQL database you can create a-l tables on, and active links leave the table open which is a big no-no for web apps.

I am pretty sure you can use stored procedures in grids anyway, you just have to use the SQL Select Statement rather than directly connecting to a table or view.

Real Name
    Jacques

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not to sure if I'm missing the plot somewhere, but I can't see how it is possible to execute a stored proc when the user hits the update button.

I'm not sure what I've tried and what I haven't, but will give your suggestion a bash.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Andrea Gill

Quote Originally Posted by ConPhobia View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not to sure if I'm missing the plot somewhere, but I can't see how it is possible to execute a stored proc when the user hits the update button.

I'm not sure what I've tried and what I haven't, but will give your suggestion a bash.

Thanks!
    You can execute the SQL in a grid event, using xBasic. Although depending on the SQL database you use, you may well be better off writing a trigger so the stored procedure gets triggered no matter where a record is inserted or updated from.

Real Name
    Nico

I am confused according to Jerry Brightbill from Alpha Software in "Alpha Five Web Applications Made Easy" http://www.libertymanuals.com/produc...FERER=123Alpha

Active-Link and web applications
    As they use Active-Link, developers may wonder whether or not they should
    connect directly to the remote database or use the Active-Link table for the connection.
    DIRECT CONNECTION “A grid component allows direct connections to SQL by means

AlphaDAO and specific query connection strings. This method accesses just the
    data desired, therefore, it is the fastest method.
    ACTIVE-LINK “You can, however, use an Alpha Five Active-Link table in a grid. It works a bit more slowly than an AlphaDAO connection, but it does work acceptably.
    DESIGN MATTERS “In most cases, an Active-Link table is constructed with all of the fields included in the SQL source table or view. When you access a record, all fields
    are returned. In many cases, not all fields are used on the grid and aren't needed.
    A well constructed AlphaDAO query would only return the fields needed,
    which should be a bit faster. From some limited testing, an active link table has
    a tiny speed hit as it converts the raw SQL data into a dbf type format. The
    speed impact is very small and most users wouldn't notice.

“On the other hand, if the Active-Link table is built with only the fields
    needed for the grid, the speed difference would be almost unnoticeable, and the
    Active-Link table would be much easier to configure and use.
    EASE OF USE “Feedback shows that ease of use, rather than speed, is of main concern todevelopers, so the Active-Link table is a good option.””

I have also experienced the “bug” questioned by ConPhobia. It looks like a case of false advertising by Alpha http://www.alphasoftware.com/alphafive/platinum/ . One of the big reason why we upgraded to Version 9 was to use stored procedures in our web appplications .

Using Xbasic is an option but I cannot find any sample on how to differentiate between delete, update and insert statements in a web component.

Thanks

Real Name
    Andrea Gill

Quote Originally Posted by relloc View Post
    I have also experienced the “bug” questioned by ConPhobia. It looks like a case of false advertising by Alpha http://www.alphasoftware.com/alphafive/platinum/ . One of the big reason why we upgraded to Version 9 was to use stored procedures in our web appplications .
    You can directly connect to the SQL database with the web server anyway so you never needed active link tables for that!!! And anything you can't do in the SQL statement for the grid itself you have always been able to execute in the grid events so what's the problem?

At any rate, they may well have changed their minds about a-l tables in grids since I last asked Selwyn about a problem I encountered with them (to which the response was along the lines of "YOU DO NOT USE ACTIVE LINK TABLES IN GRIDS")... They took out the ability to base grids on a-l tables after that but since it now seems possible again, I guess you should submit a bug report.
    Last edited by NoeticCC; 09-17-2008 at 06:08 AM.

Real Name
    Nico

Thanks !!! :D