Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Search in grid not working - Active Link Tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search in grid not working - Active Link Tables

Hi,

I've got a a5w page containing a grid connected to a active link table.
    Everything is working fine, except for the search function.
    It works when using a value supplied in a drop-down, but as soon as you try and search for text ("contained in") it does nothing.
    I've also found that the sorting stops working from time to time after I tried to search for records using a textbox.

In the past I've always connected using ADO or AlphaDAO without any problems. It's only now that I'm connected to active-link tables (.dbf) that I'm running into problems like these.

Oh yes... I'm trying the active-link connections because I need to use stored procs.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks & regards,

Jacques

Re: Search in grid not working - Active Link Tables

You should not be able to create a grid on any active link table - web grids can connect directly to any SQL database you can create a-l tables on, and active links leave the table open which is a big no-no for web apps.

I am pretty sure you can use stored procedures in grids anyway, you just have to use the SQL Select Statement rather than directly connecting to a table or view.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not to sure if I'm missing the plot somewhere, but I can't see how it is possible to execute a stored proc when the user hits the update button.

I'm not sure what I've tried and what I haven't, but will give your suggestion a bash.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ConPhobia View Post
        Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not to sure if I'm missing the plot somewhere, but I can't see how it is possible to execute a stored proc when the user hits the update button.

I'm not sure what I've tried and what I haven't, but will give your suggestion a bash.

Thanks!
        You can execute the SQL in a grid event, using xBasic. Although depending on the SQL database you use, you may well be better off writing a trigger so the stored procedure gets triggered no matter where a record is inserted or updated from.

Comment

I am confused according to Jerry Brightbill from Alpha Software in "Alpha Five Web Applications Made Easy" http://www.libertymanuals.com/produc...FERER=123Alpha
          Active-Link and web applications
          As they use Active-Link, developers may wonder whether or not they should
          connect directly to the remote database or use the Active-Link table for the connection.
          DIRECT CONNECTION �A grid component allows direct connections to SQL by means

AlphaDAO and specific query connection strings. This method accesses just the
          data desired, therefore, it is the fastest method.
          ACTIVE-LINK �You can, however, use an Alpha Five Active-Link table in a grid. It works a bit more slowly than an AlphaDAO connection, but it does work acceptably.
          DESIGN MATTERS �In most cases, an Active-Link table is constructed with all of the fields included in the SQL source table or view. When you access a record, all fields
          are returned. In many cases, not all fields are used on the grid and aren't needed.
          A well constructed AlphaDAO query would only return the fields needed,
          which should be a bit faster. From some limited testing, an active link table has
          a tiny speed hit as it converts the raw SQL data into a dbf type format. The
          speed impact is very small and most users wouldn't notice.

�On the other hand, if the Active-Link table is built with only the fields
          needed for the grid, the speed difference would be almost unnoticeable, and the
          Active-Link table would be much easier to configure and use.
          EASE OF USE �Feedback shows that ease of use, rather than speed, is of main concern todevelopers, so the Active-Link table is a good option.��

I have also experienced the �bug� questioned by ConPhobia. It looks like a case of false advertising by Alpha http://www.alphasoftware.com/alphafive/platinum/ . One of the big reason why we upgraded to Version 9 was to use stored procedures in our web appplications .

Using Xbasic is an option but I cannot find any sample on how to differentiate between delete, update and insert statements in a web component.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by relloc View Post
            I have also experienced the “bug” questioned by ConPhobia. It looks like a case of false advertising by Alpha http://www.alphasoftware.com/alphafive/platinum/ . One of the big reason why we upgraded to Version 9 was to use stored procedures in our web appplications .
            You can directly connect to the SQL database with the web server anyway so you never needed active link tables for that!!! And anything you can't do in the SQL statement for the grid itself you have always been able to execute in the grid events so what's the problem?

At any rate, they may well have changed their minds about a-l tables in grids since I last asked Selwyn about a problem I encountered with them (to which the response was along the lines of "YOU DO NOT USE ACTIVE LINK TABLES IN GRIDS")... They took out the ability to base grids on a-l tables after that but since it now seems possible again, I guess you should submit a bug report.
            Last edited by NoeticCC; 09-17-2008, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Thanks !!! :D

Comment

Working...
              X