Alpha Video Training

Thread: Miscellaneous Questions About QReportbuilder

Real Name
    Eugene Saltz

Default Miscellaneous Questions About QReportbuilder

My miscellaneous questions about this nifty product:

1. Any reason why the report building capability of Alpha Five Version 8 or 9 could not do the same thing as QReportBuilder - assuming one knows their way around either product and QuickBooks? My quick tests (no pun intended) show this to be the case, but my tests are not extensive.

2. Is there a runtime-like version or capability? This would make the product act as a viewer only, optionally with any Alpha Five scripting as a wrapper.

3. Is there a way to restrict report usage, i.e., users have privileges and permissions? For example, I might want to restrict who can see a report, or, restrict (filter) which QuickBooks classes a user might get report data on.

4. Once in the report editor, is there any easy way to get back to the form that initially allowed selection of data order? I know I can go to the top pulldown menu and select "Reports -> Select Records..." and get to the data order that way, but I like the genie of the first way, because, well, I am lazy.

Thanks!
    Eugene Saltz, QuickBooks Certified ProAdvisor, Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
    Saltz Consulting LLC
    gene@saltzconsulting.com
    www.saltzconsulting.com
    QuickBooks Sales & Support - Advanced Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisors - Enterprise Solution Providers

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Default Re: Miscellaneous Questions About QReportbuilder

Quote Originally Posted by ecsaltz View Post
    My miscellaneous questions about this nifty product:

1. Any reason why the report building capability of Alpha Five Version 8 or 9 could not do the same thing as QReportBuilder - assuming one knows their way around either product and QuickBooks? My quick tests (no pun intended) show this to be the case, but my tests are not extensive.

2. Is there a runtime-like version or capability? This would make the product act as a viewer only, optionally with any Alpha Five scripting as a wrapper.

3. Is there a way to restrict report usage, i.e., users have privileges and permissions? For example, I might want to restrict who can see a report, or, restrict (filter) which QuickBooks classes a user might get report data on.

4. Once in the report editor, is there any easy way to get back to the form that initially allowed selection of data order? I know I can go to the top pulldown menu and select "Reports -> Select Records..." and get to the data order that way, but I like the genie of the first way, because, well, I am lazy.

Thanks!
    Hello Gene..

Good to hear from you.

1. The reporting building tool is exactly the same. The advantages of QRB are the tools that:

a. show and use the linkages that QB has established.
    b. group the tables/reports by types.
    c. allow you to search tables for data values and field names.
    d. linkages to images that show the QB form/table relationships.
    e. pre-built templates/samples to start from.

2. No decision on a run-time has been made. QRB is a view only of QB data, but is designed to allow custom reporting... (note additional thoughts in 3.)

3. There is no additional user security used beyond the QB security. Remember that access to the QB data is controlled by the Intuit SDK through the QB program, so QRB is a typical QB user and subject to QB security. And you must have a copy of QB on the computer that is running QRB, so the user has access to the QB compnay file.

You may want to consider having a user that distibutes reports to the appropriate people in pdf form....

4. I think you want to return to the report genie to set the record selection. That is not within the design of the report genie. It's a one time - first time shot at helping with a report, but is not designed to maintain a report. The report genie is a good starting point, but typical users out grow it after a couple of reports.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Eugene Saltz

Default Re: Miscellaneous Questions About QReportbuilder

Thanks for your reply, and it is good to hear from you as well.
    Eugene Saltz, QuickBooks Certified ProAdvisor, Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
    Saltz Consulting LLC
    gene@saltzconsulting.com
    www.saltzconsulting.com
    QuickBooks Sales & Support - Advanced Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisors - Enterprise Solution Providers